Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
That does it!

Well, after the problem with the library server not being able to connect (resolved after factory reset), then problem loading files from my computer (finally resolved after 2 more factory resets) now, my vox won't even turn on!

It is fully charged but will not turn on. So, I'm taking it back to the store tonight, I am just too frustrated with it. Had it 2 weeks, used it 3 days and problems keep piling up.

Bye Bye Vox!
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I am having similar problems, but it just started last night. My Vox has been fine for three weeks, and last night my battery drained even though I had my Vox turned off, and then I had trouble turning it on this morning.

After I managed to get it turned on, my library loaded fine. Then I turned it off again, brought it to work, powered it on and my library won't load now. I don't have WiFi here, but that should not stop me from seeing the books I have loaded on my Vox!!! ARGGGHH!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Michael Sherman
Michael Sherman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Try a full reboot by popping of the back cover (easy!) and pushing the little recessed button. This might fix you up. Emphasis on "might".
Michael Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sherman View Post
Try a full reboot by popping of the back cover (easy!) and pushing the little recessed button. This might fix you up. Emphasis on "might".
Doesn't that qualify as a 'factory reset'?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
Its not the same thing at all. Factory reset is like reformatting your hard drive, you erase everything (apps, email accounts, etc.) but I just tried the reset button and IT WORKS! The vox came back on easily and I didn't lose anything! Thanks a million for the tip!
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
How did you EASILY pop the back cover off? I am trying to, and think I will need some tools to do this, and I am afraid I am going to break it. I've almost dropped it and broke a nail trying to get the back cover off.

UPDATE: OH - just did it. It was easy...I just needed to position my nails along the length of the cover and it popped off.

Pressed the button and it didn't solve my issue. I think I've got a corrupted library and I am going to need to do a factory reset Reminds me of problems I've had with my Kobo WiFi...

Last edited by pokee; 11-18-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

No Vox For me

Well, after so much research and reading every post on the Vox, I decided that today I would change my mind when I found the Blackberry Playbook on sale for the same price as the vox. I phoned my wife to tell her not to get me a vox for Christmas. When I told her the price she said "Pick up 2". I'm posting this from my Playbook. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out for the Vox, but with the spec comparisons, I just couldn't justify the Vox.
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I've tried the Playbook in store - the screen doesn't impress me as much, nor did the battery life, especially after issues they had with the 1.0.3 firmware. I'm getting more use out of the Kobo, although I will admit the BB's price is closer to where it should've been when they introduced it. Somewhere less than $499, basically.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

I love the screen on the playbook, however I have a suspicion that the Vox screen is better from what I have been reading. Hi def video is incredible on the Playbook, and I can hook to my TV with HDMI. Reading is quite satisfactory as well. But as you all have been saying, the Vox is an ereader with tablet capabilities, whereas the Playbook is the reverse.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
All tablets have eReader capabilities - as does any portable device with a screen. The PlayBook is a tablet (albeit somewhat crippled) - Kobo considers the Vox a reader with extra capability, as do Amazon with the Fire and B&N with the nook Tablet.

Given the screen was my biggest factor with the reader, the PB fell off the radar, especially at its regular price. ThE move was about two months too late for me, and probably more so in the US with the Fire and nook Tablet. Especially as the Vox runs apps I already own and the PB can't, nor did the prices in the BB App store appeal to me.

At least the new price is right. . I didn't even intend to buy the Vox to start, but after seeing the screen in action....

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-20-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast

I agree. The regular price of the Bb is outrageous. I would never consider it at that price.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Playbook is a work in progress for sure ... and there is currently a serious Kobo glitch with it making it ... less than useful at the moment. But it is a gorgeous device (when offered at a much lower price); fingers crossed it will be a bigger his at 2.0

I agree positioning the Kobo Vox as an e-reader that is tablety, rather than as a direct competitor to the Fire and Nook Tablet, is critical. For reading, I am very happy with the Vox, including being able to get more out of pdfs than before. And the simple tasks -- like web browsing with Opera Mobile or games like Sudoku -- deliver a high standard.

The challenges, unfortunately, are consumer expectations (now driven by Kindle Fire, particularly video in a curated environment). Kobo has again, I hate to say, brought out 0.5 instead 1.0 at launch. I admire their ambition and cheer their successes and diligence at improving the product over a short period of time -- I am getting good value for what I'm buying. But, whoa, the early adopter phase can be a bit brutal.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
dell49
dell49 began at the beginning.

Any tablet is an alternative, and there are the ereader apps for any tablet. If the Kobo doesn't suit, there are lots of alternatives.

I would, as a veteran Palm person, be wary of Blackberry, even with the recent, severely reduced Playbook prices. The Playbook has a unique operating system (based on QNX Neutrino) and the latest upgrade is already months late. Plus, apps developers are plenty busy designing for iOS and Android. To me, this song sounds depressingly familiar. (BTW, I didn't buy a HP TouchPad at any price.)
dell49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
I've had several silly problems with my Vox, mostly due to android inexperience and lack of technical expertise. Today, after showing a neighbour with visual problems how the screen looked with larger font in the white on black night version, I was unable to revert to black on white. I remembered reading your post about the reset button so thought I'd give it a try. No problem popping the back off but there was no little recessed button to be seen. I ended up touching almost everything, replacing the back and returning to my book. Something did the trick because the text was back to normal. Thanks so much!

PS - Please give me a clue what the button looks like and where it's located in case I run into another silly problem!

moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
With the Vox right side up the button is just above the top right corner of the battery.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote