Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nielsen: How We Use Tablets in the U.S.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=27570

Quote:
When asked whether they used other connected devices more often or less often since purchasing a tablet, 35 percent of tablet owners who also owned a desktop computer reported using their desktop less often or not at all, while 32 percent of those who also owned laptops, said they used their laptop less often or never since acquiring a tablet.

Twenty-seven percent of those who also own eReaders said they use their eReader less often or not at all – the same percentage as those who also own portable media players.

One-in-four tablet owners who own portable games consoles are using those devices less often, if at all, since purchasing a tablet.
Weird, I just completed filling out a poll that asked very similar questions.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like to see the poll results after the newness wears off, say a year from now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Sure. If I own X, and I buy a tablet that will perform some of the functions of X, it only makes sense that I would probably use the tablet sometimes, thereby decreasing my use of X.

The surprise to me is looking at the other side of the coin. In each instance the majority of users of each X claim that they have not decreased their use of X. That suggests that either they have increased performing X functions or else they don't use their expensive tablets very much.

Because tablets are portable, I suspect that the owners are using their tablets when they are away from their X, but always using their X when it is available (such as in their home office). Thus, they are increasing their performing of X functions by doing them when they are away from their X.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/?p=27570
Weird, I just completed filling out a poll that asked very similar questions.
Cranky geeks had a segment where they talked about the success of the iPad. They quoted a study that in where they identified that 80% of the computer users are consumers and not producers.

If that is the case it's no wonder more people are using the tablets more than the their PC. That and the fact that they have to justify the huge price tag.

I fall in the 20% which is why I'm not big on tablets...

I'm also guessing that once the tablet fad dies down a little tablets like the Asus Transformer will become more popular. (Then again maybe that is my bias being in the 20%)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Sure. If I own X.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the =X= cannot be owned.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Cranky geeks had a segment where they talked about the success of the iPad. They quoted a study that in where they identified that 80% of the computer users are consumers and not producers.

If that is the case it's no wonder more people are using the tablets more than the their PC. That and the fact that they have to justify the huge price tag.

I fall in the 20% which is why I'm not big on tablets...

I'm also guessing that once the tablet fad dies down a little tablets like the Asus Transformer will become more popular. (Then again maybe that is my bias being in the 20%)
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The things I do on my desktop system could not be done on a tablet. The things my roommate does on his desktop, however, probably could be done on a tablet for the most part.

I couldn't even replace half of what I do on my laptop(s) with any tablet other than a slate PC. My mom could probably replace her computer completely with a decent Android tablet or an iPad.

It ain't what you got, it's how you use it. I did chuckle at the wording of the quoted section - used (item) "less often or not at all". There's a bit of room between "less often" and "not at all" and if buying a tablet doesn't mean I'm using my other item less, then what good is it? (Which is why I don't have one. But believe me, if I could justify it, I'd have one. In a heartbeat.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd like to see the poll results after the newness wears off, say a year from now.
Nielsen did a study in October of last year (warning, PDF):
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...y-Oct-2010.pdf

Not the exact same data, but they are definitely tracking it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't use my *netbook* anymore -- originally bought for travel and living room internet surfing -- since getting my iPad, but I use my laptop as much and more than before because the iPad and the laptop functions (for me) do not overlap.

I have never read a book on my iPad, but I did buy an iPod *after* using my iPad for awhile and I read on that. Recently, I supplemented my Sony Reader with a Kindle (and read them equally compared to each other and both more often than the iPod.)

I seem to be moving in the *opposite* direction of common predictions and surveys.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I've had an iPad since October, and it become my default device for these functions:

web browsing
email
eBay shopping
web shop browsing (I still purchase on the desktop when I use a credit card)
evening ebook reading

iPhone stays in my purse - it is now a phone, calendar, and pocket reader only.
Laptop is now a desktop - it stay is plugged into the external monitor 98% of the time. It's used for producing, not consuming.
Opus gets read on the morning commute - it's too bright for an LCD.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

THAT'S what I'm waiting for. (And by "waiting for" I mean "waiting until I can afford one".) I'm not sold on tablets until they have a keyboard.

I recently fell into a cheapish used macbook, and I'm seriously considering ditching my desktop. I have a kvm switch that I'll probably just plug into the mb and use it like a desktop, except it'll be portable
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My SGT would replace my smartphone before it would replace my desktop/laptop/netbook. I find myself relegating my phone to phone calls, and using my Tab for everything else.

I could easily revert to a dumb phone, but since I'm locked into a data family plan anyway, it's not worth it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Since getting an iPad my laptop has been reduced to a makeshift wifi adapter for my 360. My desktop is rarely turned on. It might be collecting dust if only this thing could connect to a scanner and use a Wacom style pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
THAT'S what I'm waiting for. (And by "waiting for" I mean "waiting until I can afford one".) I'm not sold on tablets until they have a keyboard.

I recently fell into a cheapish used macbook, and I'm seriously considering ditching my desktop. I have a kvm switch that I'll probably just plug into the mb and use it like a desktop, except it'll be portable
Most tablets on the market today support bluetooth and occasionally even USB keyboards.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

=X=
I think it would make more sense for tablet makers to just adopt a standard docking interface like PDMI. Then you could have universal "keyboard docks".

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-10-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
As an alternative to a keyboard dock one can always use a hinged case, w/ a keyboard and built-in stand --- that's what I use w/ my Fujitsu Stylistic (and have for two models now).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
You can use a bluetooth keyboard with any decent tablet - maybe with many indecent ones as well. Here's the one I have:

Here's the (oddly similar) Motorola keyboard:

(Note that these are basically interchangeable, though - you can use the Apple keyboard with the Xoom, or with a Windows computer if you want - I've used it with my netbook). You could also use a full-size bluetooth computer.

You can also buy an integrated keyboard case for some tablets - here's the Zagg keyboard case for the ipad
The Zagg case won't provide extra power to the tablet like the Asus case, though.

I'm not really a big fan of the integrated cases, though. If you want to take a BT keyboard with you, you just throw it in the bag. But if you have an integrated keyboard, you have to either: (1) take it with you all the time, because it is also your case; or (2) take your tablet out of its other case and put it in the integrated case when you think you might want the keyboard...and switching between cases is a little cumbersome.

Plus, I kind of think that if you are going to be always wanting to have a keyboard with you, you might just be better off with a laptop.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote