Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #121
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
On the other hand, maybe it would be more interesting to get one of those:
Onyx Boox C63M Marco Polo
Onyx Boox C63ML Magellan
Instead of Nook ST?
Or indead instead of the new Nook.

They have 6" Pearl HD screens, open android - no hacking needed, buttons.
I think Marco Polo might be without the integrated light, so I want it, not Magellan which has the light. But Marco Polo seems to be heavier.
Hm.
Magellan is similar to the new Nook, but better:
both have the same screen, both glowing, but Magellan has 8 GB of memory + SD card instead of 500 MB. And it has buttons. And you don't have to worry about hacking it: it is already rooted out of the box.

Turns out, Magellan has exactly the same screen as Kindle PW (1st gen) -including the integrated light.
So, if the new Nook has better screen or better light than PW1, then not the same as Magellan.

Last edited by parkher; 11-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #122
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
I went to see the Nook Glowlight today.

I like the weight, the fonts, the lighting (never owned a lighted ereader before). And comparing to my PRS 650 (brought it with me), it is faster with sharper text.

I actually like the bumper though, don't know how many time I drop my previous 650 on its corner/side and one day the button stopped working right after a drop (fortunately it was still under warranty), so the bumper kind of gives me a peace of mind. And I guess after a few months, we'll have third party color bumper (I would like a red). I don't mind the white color though, definitely can cover that up with a decalgirl skin.

The new cover is very flimsy & hence superlight. I wonder how it can protect the reader, I don't even know if it can keep the reader closed (like a book). Maybe it has a hidden magnet (???).

The touch screen is very sensitive, so even if I hold the Nook in left or right hand, a light flick of my finger will turn the page forward/backward. I'll miss the buttons but can live without them. 500 MB should be sufficient for my books (I'm using about 300 MB on my 650 though & it's plenty for my need).

I think I find my birthday/christmas present, meanwhile I'll watch out for more reviews on the sturdiness of the screen & battery.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #123
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
So Nook ST seems to be better in every aspect than the new Nook Glowlight.
But I am also considering Onyx Boox c63M - the problem with it is - where to get it.

Onyx Boox c63ML probably would be a formidable competition to the new Nook Glowlight.
Oh, and Sony PRS-T3 - again, better in every aspect.

I wonder, should I get also a cover for Nook ST? The reader itself is so cheap that the cover makes it considerably more expensive.
All my other readers (7 of them) have covers...
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #124
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
So Nook ST seems to be better in every aspect than the new Nook Glowlight.
Except screen resolution

Quote:
But I am also considering Onyx Boox c63M - the problem with it is - where to get it.
I think most folks get Onyx stuff from http://ereader-store.de/en/ (MR member Booxster's store) and have them shipped. There don't seem to be a lot of places to get Onyx devices. Of course the new models aren't out yet so there is no listing in their store right now, one can only assume there will be later.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #125
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I wonder, should I get also a cover for Nook ST? The reader itself is so cheap that the cover makes it considerably more expensive.
All my other readers (7 of them) have covers...
Looks like u answered the question yourself. Either get a cheap aftermarket or leave it as is.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #126
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
Nathan from The Ebook Reader has posted his Nook GlowLight Review and Screen Comparisons video on YouTube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYEAz3svps
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #127
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81 View Post
Nathan from The Ebook Reader has posted his Nook GlowLight Review and Screen Comparisons video on YouTube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYEAz3svps
Well, the Nook lovers will love that review. I totally disagreed with his remarks saying the Nook screen looked better than the KPW and the Aura....I was like, no it doesn't! The text looked better on both of the other two. Maybe if he hadn't had the light at 100% during his comparison, it would have made a difference.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #128
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Well, the Nook lovers will love that review. I totally disagreed with his remarks saying the Nook screen looked better than the KPW and the Aura....I was like, no it doesn't! The text looked better on both of the other two. Maybe if he hadn't had the light at 100% during his comparison, it would have made a difference.
First off many who havent seen the new nook blasted it...second when someone says something good about it that actually have seen it and used it, its still not enough for some it would seem....third you will be happy to know he said it was second to the kpw. Watch the whole video booklover.

But it really is a nice screen...you need to go look at it in person before making judgements. I will say this i havent heard many complaints yet about screen holes like on the aura. All I seem to hear over here and on nooks own ratings page are people who dont own the device continually bitching, rating it down based on no card slot or buttons. Its getting rather silly.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #129
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
First off many who havent seen the new nook blasted it...second when someone says something good about it that actually have seen it and used it, its still not enough for some it would seem....third you will be happy to know he said it was second to the kpw. Watch the whole video booklover.
I did. Listened, too.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #130
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I did. Listened, too.
What he said was it stood up to the kpw very well and it is better than the kobo. He than said the kpw is best in lighting. No where did he say the nook screen looked better than the paperwhite. I agree with him....it is better than the kobo. Kobo has some major quality control regarding their screens. Again i think too many here were (and still are) too quick to knock this nice little reader down, without even checking it out first. Heck even nathan admitted he did that at first.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #131
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, I could have sworn he said it at least twice!

I also wish he would compare it to the Kobo Glo.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #132
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

He's got the review up now. In the 2nd picture where there are three together, the Kobo looks best, to me! Yes it is a little yellow, but the text looks darker. Of course my monitor is dirty lol
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #133
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well now owning a Kobo Glo (note not the Aura) and the new Nook I would say the Kobo has the better light although not by a great margin. Where the Nook shines for me is the fonts which appear crisper to me, the overall comfort and light feel and it is the best reader I have for daylight reading without a light.

Up until now I had always read with the light on when using a lighted reader day or night, but with the Nook I prefer to read with the light off during the day because the background is lighter and the text is very crisp and easy to read. It wasn't a feature I was looking for but now that I have it, I appreciate it.

I think the bottom line for the new Kindle, Kobo and Nook this year is, nobody hit a homerun but then nobody struck out either, they are all good readers with a few unique pluses and minuses of their own. I bought the Nook, I enjoy using it and hope those who purchased new Kindles or Kobos are enjoying theirs as well.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #134
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Well now owning a Kobo Glo (note not the Aura) and the new Nook I would say the Kobo has the better light although not by a great margin. Where the Nook shines for me is the fonts which appear crisper to me,
Have you had a fiddle with the sharpness settings in the Advanced font menu? You may be able to find something that suits you a little better.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #135
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Have you had a fiddle with the sharpness settings in the Advanced font menu? You may be able to find something that suits you a little better.
Yes, I have and it is a great feature. I like it mainly because I can increase the contrast, however I have not found a setting that will make the font as sharp as the Nook but I have no complaints with the quality of the fonts with Kobo, for me good, close but not as good. It is a trade off, more contrast with the Kobo, sharper fonts with the Nook.

Right now, reading at night I prefer the Kobo, for daylight reading, I prefer the Nook. So, I consider myself lucky and happy to have both.

Last edited by fbrII; 11-08-2013 at 08:27 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote