Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
People with Kindles are like robots in another world

This according to a used book store owner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rts-event.html

I understand that people will judge others but it still amazes me how people want to control what other people prefer.

Quote:

A leading bookshop owner in Hay-on-Wye, home of one of the world’s biggest literary festivals, has called for Kindles and other e-book readers to be banned from the event.

He made his plea yesterday, to mark the start of the 25th Hay Festival – which counts Apple’s iBookstore as an online partner.

Mr Addyman, 57, said: ‘Kindles have no place at this festival which is supposed to be a celebration of the written word – and books.

‘Booksellers here definitely want them banned. You see people walking around with Kindles and they are like robots in another world.

‘Books are sociable and people stop and talk to each other about them. Kindles are just a phase and they won’t last. They are our enemy.’ The father of two has been selling books for 25 years with his wife Anne, 49.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Snobbery.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Just a Phase."
rrrrriiiiiight. Keep telling yourself that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Picture this guy in the mid 15th century:

‘Gutenbergs have no place at this festival which is supposed to be a celebration of the handwritten word.

‘Monks here definitely want them banned. You see people walking around with their Gutenbergs and they are like robots in another world.

‘Handwritten books are sociable and people stop and talk to each other about them. Gutenbergs are just a phase and they won’t last. They are our enemy.’
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have a friend who co-owns a local bookstore, and she says the same kind of thing. I think what it boils down to is they know ereaders are hard on their business and resent them. I know there's a way to buy books from Googlebooks and support your idependant bookstore, but I also know that doesn't happen very often. I kind of wish ebooks could be bought by going to any bookstore and scanning a code on a book and then purchasing, and whatever book store you were at would get the sale. But that isn't how they work.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
It's up to the book stores to make something like this happen. Nobody owes them anything. They need to find a way to provide value as a middle man. If they can't do that, then it's time to get out of the business.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like this:

Quote:
Books have pages you can fold and turn. They are sexy. A Kindle is a screen, not a book and it is certainly not sexy.
I've always loved books, but I'm not sure I would ever have used the word "sexy" to describe them as an object.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All we have to do is be patient and we will destroy them all!
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
This is beyond rude. So does he get to call people who use wheel chairs or glasses or walking frames names. What about those who read braile. Are they all banned from there as well. He is an out and out idiot not to know the world kindles have opened up for the disabled. Those with vision issues those with limited mobility and or strength in their hands. Somebody needs to point all this out to him, It isnt just a cute toy for some people. If he is to lazy to work on his own business to make it work for the future.
People are either ones who support local business or not. stocking ebboks as well as paper books will give local buyers the chance to support him.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Mr Addyman, 57, said: ‘Kindles have no place at this festival which is supposed to be a celebration of the written word – and books.
Last I checked, all of my ereaders contain pages and pages of the written word - in the digital format that authors use to send their books to their publishers.

Don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for small booksellers in the emerging ebook world. But no one ever gets anywhere swimming against the tide; they need to figure out how to incorporate an aspect of it into their business.

Perhaps it's time to bring back subscription libraries - customers could then get to read the latest books without the long public library wait times.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i love print books but some people have an unhealthy, almost sexual obsession with the printed page. my love for print goes out the window when i'm laying in bed and trying to find a comfortable position to read a trade paperback in.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I have a friend who co-owns a local bookstore, and she says the same kind of thing. I think what it boils down to is they know ereaders are hard on their business and resent them. I know there's a way to buy books from Googlebooks and support your idependant bookstore, but I also know that doesn't happen very often. I kind of wish ebooks could be bought by going to any bookstore and scanning a code on a book and then purchasing, and whatever book store you were at would get the sale. But that isn't how they work.
I like that concept ..... why shouldn't it be possible, any idea?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
This according to a used book store owner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rts-event.html

I understand that people will judge others but it still amazes me how people want to control what other people prefer.
What's a little ironic is that the Hay-on-Wye booksellers are all second-hand bookshops... They don't exactly support the publishing industry and authors.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
He hates ereaders, because they will slowly but surely put him out of business. Must be scary to think about getting into another profession after 25 years.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote