Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
K1 and K2 text side-by-side via scanner

There is some concern that the text on K2 is lighter than text on K1. Since I have both and a scanner, I put them side by side and scanned them.

I used "Moby Dick" from the MobileRead library as my sample book.

1) The original image. Since the dark skin I have on my K1 might be throwing things off, I cut out the screens and placed them together.
2) I reduced the images by 1/3 to fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and placed them side-by-side
3 and 4) Just in case the size reduction skewed the results, I've indluded each individual screen.

Edit: Notice that K2 is able to get one more line of text on the screen. Interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2andk1.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	24650   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1andk2 moby side by side.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	24651   Click image for larger version

Name:	k1moby1.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	24652   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2moby1.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	24653  

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-28-2009 at 12:33 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Re: one more line per "page" in the K2

Looks like a combination of a smaller leading (space between lines of text) and a significant reduction in the size of the progress indicator.

Yes, in the side-by-side image, to me the K2 appears slightly lighter (or maybe I should say appears to have less contrast between the text and the background).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

K2 has a greenish background to my eye and K1 is bluish.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
K2 has a greenish background to my eye and K1 is bluish.
Funny thing, that. My Cybook Gen3 also has a slightly more "greenish" background than my K1.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I find the K2 to be easier to read. Maybe that's just me...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I find the K2 easier to read as well, and I believe part of this is due to it's greater ability to represent gradient.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I for got to add that I downloaded the most current MR Mobi Guide into K1 and K2. It seems that index is much faster in both. I remember testing the original guide and it took what seemed forever to index so that I could search it. It was about 10 mins after downloading that I was able to search for and download the book I used in my sample. Maybe that 1.2 upgrade had more benefits than we thought.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
based on the comparison pictures, i find the K1 much easier to read. The K2 looks almost a bit "out of focus".
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
based on the comparison pictures, i find the K1 much easier to read. The K2 looks almost a bit "out of focus".
It's not; it's crystal clear. I no longer have the K1 for comparison since I sold it the 1st day of the announcement in order to buy K2. No regret there; I'm completely satisfy! I do still have my Sony PRS-505 (which I never plan to part with unless Sony makes a better product) and it's just as clear to read as my PRS-505!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
alright, I just did some more objective observation using the last 2 higher resolution pictures. and below are the results:
K1 Text/Background contrast(3x3 pixel sample for text, 5x5 pixel sample for background):

K2 Text/Background contrast(3x3 pixel sample for text, 5x5 pixel sample for background):

Here is a 3D overlay on the Lab color space:

So it seems that the K2 is actually overall brighter on the luminosity scale. But the relative contrast between K1 & K2 are close enough(maybe a slight edge to the K1) that they're very similar.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So it seems that the K2 is actually overall brighter on the luminosity scale. But the relative contrast between K1 & K2 are close enough(maybe a slight edge to the K1) that they're very similar.
I don't know what all this means. But, I am impressed nonetheless.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
alright, I just did some more objective observation using the last 2 higher resolution pictures. and below are the results:
K1 Text/Background contrast(3x3 pixel sample for text, 5x5 pixel sample for background):

K2 Text/Background contrast(3x3 pixel sample for text, 5x5 pixel sample for background):

Excellent info. I suspect that given the potential issues with scanned images, the representation is close enough to give a good look at the two displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know what all this means. But, I am impressed nonetheless.

BOb
Just read each axis then you can figure out what each plot represents. The vertical axis is the "luminosity" (or what most of us consider brightness.) Then the two other axises are for color shift or shade. One is for the yellow-blue and the other for red-green (at least that is how I am reading them). Where the plots show for each display will give an indication of the perceived color of the display. The way the graph is laid out, the effective contrast would seem to be the difference between the two plots for each device.

As shinew describes both devices have almost the same relative contrast ratio. The K2 seems to be just slightly brighter which could make some fonts or images appear to be a tad faded to some people. And the data bears out that some people find the K1 to seem a tad dim even though there is the same contrast ratio.

The "color" shift of the display of one device might help one person see the text well and cause problems for others...still others will find it just right.

No matter if I did not read it quite right, the info from the plots is just what I had been expecting from the data I have read elsewhere. As well as anecdotal/subjective commentary about the display of the K2 relative to the K1.

BTW, I am assuming the top two plot points are for the background and the bottom two are for the text?

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-28-2009 at 05:44 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:

I don't know what that is about, but it caused me to get naked. Is that an appropriate response? I know they did not approve at Walmart where I happened to be at the time.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
I don't know what that is about, but it caused me to get naked. Is that an appropriate response? I know they did not approve at Walmart where I happened to be at the time.
In my opinion getting naked was an entirely appropriate response, especially in Wal-Mart. Kudos to you sir!
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Hmm, I have to say that if I were looking to buy a Kindle, all this geekery would probably make me want a 2 instead of a 1.

(Although that battery would be a deal-killer. I have bad luck with batteries.)
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 1, kindle 2, kindle screen comparions