Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thumbs up a way to solve peer to peer wifi problem about kindle

if you want to use connection of your pc/notebook running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 ; with a virtual rooter program and shared connection you can use your kindle:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/share-i...outer-windows/

Ive tried and it works (since Kindle does not connect to enterprise or ad-hoc Wi-Fi networks, this seems to be simplest way )

Unfortunately only available for certain WiFi cards:
http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/wi...=Documentation

However there are others (I didn't try but should work):
a portable app: mhotspot

http://alternativeto.net/software/vi...atform=windows

Wmwifirouter, Joiku (and much others) are for mobile(windows, android, apple,nokia..), therefore may be very useful:
http://alternativeto.net/software/wmwifirouter/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96396

(actually not a hack, but resemble...)

Last edited by thomass; 06-27-2011 at 05:52 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
intunachintu
Banned
intunachintu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Isn't this same as adhoc networks ? THe Kindle I own, 3 with WiFi doesn't support adhoc network and so says the official kindle page in amazon.com
intunachintu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intunachintu View Post
Isn't this same as adhoc networks ?
No its not. It is like an emulation of a rooter. Therefore Kindle accepts it. (as I said I've tried with my Kindle 3)

Last edited by thomass; 04-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
intunachintu
Banned

Is there any equivalent of this for Linux ? The standard Network manager's ad-hoc doesn't seem to work with Kindle.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by intunachintu View Post
Is there any equivalent of this for Linux ?
Actually there is a way for linux( I didn't try ): hostapd http://zhangyou.wordpress.com/2010/0...irtual-router/
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...tation/hostapd

Last edited by thomass; 04-04-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
intunachintu
Banned

Thanks I will check it out.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

I use my android phone as a gateway. I connect the phone to the ad-hoc network at Uni, and also have it set up as a limited wifi hotspot (available in the settings menu) (limited in that I only allow my Kindle to connect to it, not anything/anyone else). Works perfectly.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard

no need to an app on windows 7

using an administrator command line :
>netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="give a name" key="password" keyUsage=persistent
>netsh wlan start hostednetwork
then its ready (if your wifi card supported)
(to stop on cmmd:
>netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
Old 04-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
using an administrator command line :
>netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="give a name" key="password" keyUsage=persistent
>netsh wlan start hostednetwork
then its ready (if your wifi card supported)
(to stop on cmmd:
>netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
Hi,

When I do this, I get this error:

Code:
Unable to Connect to Wi-Fi Network

The password you entered is incorrect or invalid.
Your Kindle is unable to connect to this Wi-Fi network "testkindle". Would you like to enter the password again or manually set up this network?
I am certain the I've typed in the correct password.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post

I am certain the I've typed in the correct password.
Sorry, I'm not very good on that stuff, but keyUsage=persistent part is belong the first line ( altogether a single code). a probable mistake?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not very good on that stuff, but keyUsage=persistent part is belong the first line ( altogether a single code). a probable mistake?
Yes, I included keyUsage=persistent in the first line. I also tried the virtual router software, and I got the same error.

Does the Kindle browser work while you're connected to your virtual network? If so, how did you share the internet connection?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Does the Kindle browser work while you're connected to your virtual network? If so, how did you share the internet connection?
Yes, it works exactly like a real router. I can use my kindle with a perfect internet connection.
I couldn't figure out where the problem is. the possible solutions:
As you guessed you probably do not have a shared internet connection( a network,modem...etc with a shared internet connection)
you should have a shared internet connection on your computer:
Start→Control Panel→Network and Internet→change adapter settings → select the connected adapter→ right click→properties →share tab→Select the "Allow Other Network Users to Connect through This Computer’s Internet Connection" check box+ also (on the same tab) settings→check all→save
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...windows-7.html

and virtual router works after a reboot after installation. first connect to internet then start the app.
and use a simple password to try.
(I rechecked these codes, they worked as expected.)

Last edited by thomass; 04-11-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Yes, it works exactly like a real router. I can use my kindle with a perfect internet connection.
I couldn't figure out where the problem is. the possible solutions:
As you guessed you probably do not have a shared internet connection( a network,modem...etc with a shared internet connection)
you should have a shared internet connection on your computer:
Start→Control Panel→Network and Internet→change adapter settings → select the connected adapter→ right click→properties →share tab→Select the "Allow Other Network Users to Connect through This Computer’s Internet Connection" check box+ also (on the same tab) settings→check all→save
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...windows-7.html

and virtual router works after a reboot after installation. first connect to internet then start the app.
and use a simple password to try.
(I rechecked these codes, they worked as expected.)
Did you use manual configuration on the Kindle? Or did you just enter in the password and let the Kindle auto detect the information? If you manually configured, could you please tell me what you set?

As for that link, I did that before, and it did not work. I just tried the same thing on my laptop, but it did not work either.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Did you use manual configuration on the Kindle?
As you said, I just enter in the password and let the Kindle auto detect the information. no need to any manual configuration. (but after that, to use ssh in a quick way I set My Kindle a static IP configuration. It also worked.)

let me ask you:
1) what is your wifi card(which you want to use as a router)? does it seem supported on: http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/wi...=Documentation
for example mine is an Atheros5007EG, and seems supported on that site.(thanks God!..)
2) your OS? is it windows 7?
3) did you set an connected adaptor as shared? (settings on "share" tab...)
4)Does it says at the bottom of virtual router screen that "virtual router started" ?

It should work if things above is OK....
However from your previous posts, it seems that you have no problems with that. Could you try to connect any other device? laptop,mobile etc..

Last edited by thomass; 04-12-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
As you said, I just enter in the password and let the Kindle auto detect the information. no need to any manual configuration. (but after that, to use ssh in a quick way I set My Kindle a static IP configuration. It also worked.)

let me ask you:
1) what is your wifi card(which you want to use as a router)? does it seem supported on: http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/wi...=Documentation
for example mine is an Atheros5007EG, and seems supported on that site.(thanks God!..)
2) your OS? is it windows 7?
3) did you set an connected adaptor as shared? (settings on "share" tab...)
4)Does it says at the bottom of virtual router screen that "virtual router started" ?

It should work if things above is OK....
However from your previous posts, it seems that you have no problems with that. Could you try to connect any other device? laptop,mobile etc..
1) I'm not sure what my WiFi card is. I know it is Ralink, but I have no idea what model number it is. Under device manager, it simply shows up as "802.11n Wireless LAN Card". Is there a software to determine the model number?
2) Yes, I have Windows 7 x64
3) Yes, I set my LAN (my desktop is wired) to be shared
4) Yes, it started fine. The "start Virtual Router" button turned to "stop Virtual Router" when I started it.

I will try connecting with my laptop once I retrieve the power cord.

Tags
ad-hoc, network, peer to peer, wifi hotspot, wifi tether