Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Remaining Kindle 3 Doubts...

I'm thinking of purchasing a a second e-reader (I have a PRS-650) and I saw a Kindle 3 for the first time the other day. I thought it was very handsome. So I'm thinking of purchasing a Kindle, but I have some questions / remaining doubts. I would appreciate your comments.

1. Is it easy to look up words in the dictionary?

2. Is it awkward to store a lot of books on the Kindle? I currently have about 300 documents on my reader.

3. I understand I have to register the Kindle in order to be able to organize books into collections. Does this mean that I cannot organize free / self-produced / non-Amazon-purchased content into collections?

4. Do the letters rub off the keys on the black kindle?

5. Has the crash problem been fixed? Does the browser make it crash?

Thanks in advance.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I have a K2, and will address some of the questions.
dictionary, very easy. you just bring the cursor to the word in question and the definition pops up

the kindle will handle several thousand books and documents

collections; haven't been using it, so I don't know

keys; I'm not sure which one is having the problems

crash; that was with the unlighted cover, has nothing to do with the browser. the fis is, don't get that cover! ;o)

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly that can handle more of the info. feel free to ask away!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
1) The dictionary is VERY easy to use. Just move the cursor in front of the word and the dictionary reference automatically pops up.

2) I don't think it's awkward at all. I have all my books and games in collections. It's quite user friendly.

3) You can organize every item on your Kindle regardless of it's origins. I have many books from other places.

4) Mine haven't yet. I have heard of people having the problem. I have also read that the first graphite K3 buttons had a slightly glossy finish that was the cause of the problem. The buttons on mine and all the newer ones have a matte, very slightly rough finish.

5) To my knowledge the crash problem was only related to the non-lighted Amazon cover. I've never had a browser crash.

If I lost my K3 tomorrow, I would replace it with the same. I absolutely love it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Thanks for your very clear replies.

I'll have to think about the cover / carry case / lighting question.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
check out the covers thread up above in the stickies for a lot of ideas!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
disagree with some of the above - the dictionary use is a pain if the word you want is near the bottom RH corner of screen - takes a lots of fiddly button presses to place the cursor - and the dictionary does not have ALL words - ( but theres the option to go online I think which I've not tried)
a dictionary on a touch screen device would be easier, if you have small enough fingers to tap one word.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
disagree with some of the above - the dictionary use is a pain if the word you want is near the bottom RH corner of screen - takes a lots of fiddly button presses to place the cursor - and the dictionary does not have ALL words - ( but theres the option to go online I think which I've not tried)
If the word you want to select is in the bottom right corner, simply move the cursor UP and LEFT - it "wraps around" from top to bottom, and from right to left. (ie move the cursor "up" from the top of the screen and it reappears at the bottom.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
crash; that was with the unlighted cover, has nothing to do with the browser. the fis is, don't get that cover! ;o)
There were lots of crashes with the browser in the original 3.0.0 firmware; they were mostly fixed in the subsequent 3.0.1 firmware update. If you buy a new K3 today, though, it'll come with either 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 and the browser is pretty stable with these firmware versions.

The unlighted cover issue is an unrelated problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have two Kindles that are very stable and work without any problem. The only thing I have to keep an eye on, is the indexing. But that's no trouble at all.
The Kindles both have 3.0.3 firmware, which gives a slightly better browser-experience, I found.
I am also very satisfied about Amazon's customersservice. Friendly, patient and really helpfull.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Hello Rizla, I had two Sonys before I bought my K3 and my opinion is that organising was easier using Calibre/tags/Sony than it is to create collections on my K3.

The dictionary function is really easy. If you like the touch screen of the Sony, you may find having to toggle down to the word a bit slower, but I moved away from Sonys because I dislike touchscreens and I prefer the slow but sure toggle navigation.

My K3 was a fairly early release, but it still looks pristine, with no letters rubbing off. Also, I have one of the original non-lighted books covers but can honestly say my K3 has never once crashed on me. I do look after it very carefully, and have never removed it from the cover from the day I fitted it, so perhaps I may have been lucky for that reason - oh, and I have never used the browser because I treat it solely as an e-reader and in that regard it has been a perfect purchase.

Though I liked my Sonys and felt like a traitor when I bought a K3, I have not regretted the purchase for an instance.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
a dictionary on a touch screen device would be easier, if you have small enough fingers to tap one word.

No, it does not. When you are reading a book and there is a word in the bottom you tap the cursor UP, instead of down. In this case, the cursor will start from the bottom most line.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Hello Rizla, I had two Sonys before I bought my K3 and my opinion is that organising was easier using Calibre/tags/Sony than it is to create collections on my K3.

The dictionary function is really easy. If you like the touch screen of the Sony, you may find having to toggle down to the word a bit slower, but I moved away from Sonys because I dislike touchscreens and I prefer the slow but sure toggle navigation.

My K3 was a fairly early release, but it still looks pristine, with no letters rubbing off. Also, I have one of the original non-lighted books covers but can honestly say my K3 has never once crashed on me. I do look after it very carefully, and have never removed it from the cover from the day I fitted it, so perhaps I may have been lucky for that reason - oh, and I have never used the browser because I treat it solely as an e-reader and in that regard it has been a perfect purchase.

Though I liked my Sonys and felt like a traitor when I bought a K3, I have not regretted the purchase for an instance.
I don't think keeping the Kindle in the cover is part of the issue. My original Kindle, which got stolen, never had any problems. The new one, that I got at Christmas went straight in its cover and started acting up without the cover coming off. When Amazon CS told me to remove the cover and try a reset it was OK. I now have the have the cover with a light (thanks to Amazon) and it works fine.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If the word you want to select is in the bottom right corner, simply move the cursor UP and LEFT - it "wraps around" from top to bottom, and from right to left. (ie move the cursor "up" from the top of the screen and it reappears at the bottom.)
How very innovative (and, thanks, I did not know that) but then why can't they apply the same logic to the various menus?????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
How very innovative (and, thanks, I did not know that) but then why can't they apply the same logic to the various menus?????
The only reason I know it is that I make extensive use of the Kindle's text annotation capabilities, and it's almost impossible to do that and not discover simply by accident that the cursor "wraps around" at the edges of the page.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
"I'm thinking of purchasing a a second e-reader (I have a PRS-650) and I saw a Kindle 3 for the first time the other day. I thought it was very handsome. So I'm thinking of purchasing a Kindle, but I have some questions / remaining doubts. I would appreciate your comments."

I own both a K3 and a jetBook, roughly comparable to your anticipated setup.

"1. Is it easy to look up words in the dictionary?"

Reasonably. The D-pad isn't as quick as a touchscreen. The jetBook has more dictionary options, like multiple languages, but I don't see much difference.

"2. Is it awkward to store a lot of books on the Kindle? I currently have about 300 documents on my reader."

No. You should have no real problem at that level. I much prefer the jetBook's folder system to the K3's collections, but mileage varies so. I would suggest you think carefully about how you want to organize 300 books, but I presume you've already done that on the 650.

"3. I understand I have to register the Kindle in order to be able to organize books into collections. Does this mean that I cannot organize free / self-produced / non-Amazon-purchased content into collections?"

No, the collections work for anything.

"4. Do the letters rub off the keys on the black kindle?"

I haven't had any problems.

"5. Has the crash problem been fixed? Does the browser make it crash?"

I've never had a problem.

With respect to case and covers. I use a cheap ($8-10) generic cover when the K3 is in my briefcase, etc. When reading, The K3 is fine naked. The light weight makes it easy to single-hand. And no, I don't have giant hands. If you need more light to read, turn on a lamp. "Don't read in the dark; you'll ruin your eyes!"--Mother

My one piece of substantive advice is to think carefully about whether you need the 3G phone connection. I have it, but seldom use it. In hindsight, I lean towards saving the $50. In truth, I don't use the WiFi that often. I usually connect by cable unless I'm downloading an Amazon purchase.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote