Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Too much left indent!

I notice that books with 5% text-indent end up with huge indent, like 50%, on k3. Ditto with blockquotes.

Since these are epubs converted to mobi via calibre, I don't know if there's a problem with calibre, a problem with the mobi format, a problem with my settings, or some kind of bug with k3 firmware (3.0.3). Anyone knows?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I notice that books with 5% text-indent end up with huge indent, like 50%, on k3. Ditto with blockquotes.

Since these are epubs converted to mobi via calibre, I don't know if there's a problem with calibre, a problem with the mobi format, a problem with my settings, or some kind of bug with k3 firmware (3.0.3). Anyone knows?
This is nothing new, you have to edit the Style Sheet file look at all the left margin values and change them to zero.

You could also use Sigil. With Sigil just open the epub and save it and it should fix it. I don't like how it removes the indent though.

Last edited by Corran006; 11-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This seems to be a bug in Calibre in how it handles the margins specified in the CSS file in the epub when converting to mobi.

I could never figure out what to change, so I just open it in Sigil, delete the CSS file and save. Seems to do the trick, though presumably I lose whatever else was in the CSS file (but not worth worrying about, I think).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
This seems to be a bug in Calibre in how it handles the margins specified in the CSS file in the epub when converting to mobi
No, it's a limitation of the MOBI format. You can only get left margins in increments of 2em on the Kindle with MOBI.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Speaking of Sigil, I find when I open a Epub and save it, it does fix the indent issue or rather the left Margin, does anyone know how to make Sigil keep the indent of each paragraph?
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
fastesthamster
fastesthamster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, it's a limitation of the MOBI format. You can only get left margins in increments of 2em on the Kindle with MOBI.
It may be a limitation, but doesn't change the fact that the conversion results in books that are an eyesore to read on a Kindle.

Love your software, but this is rather annoying. Programmers have to work around bad format limitations, and in my humble opinion the conversion from epub to mobi in Calibre should account for this limitation and remove the left margin values.
fastesthamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastesthamster View Post
It may be a limitation, but doesn't change the fact that the conversion results in books that are an eyesore to read on a Kindle.

Love your software, but this is rather annoying. Programmers have to work around bad format limitations, and in my humble opinion the conversion from epub to mobi in Calibre should account for this limitation and remove the left margin values.
If I did that, I'd have a bunch of (perhaps slightly slower hamsters) complaining about how the conversion from EPUB to MOBI ignores their left margins.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
fastesthamster

Quote:
If I did that, I'd have a bunch of (perhaps slightly slower hamsters) complaining about how the conversion from EPUB to MOBI ignores their left margins.
*grumble grumble*

Guess you're right. But I'd rather they were inconvenienced, rather than me.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastesthamster View Post
*grumble grumble*

Guess you're right. But I'd rather they were inconvenienced, rather than me.
It is on my TODO list to try and detect the case of brain dead input documents that specify the same left/right margin for every p/div tag and remove it, but this is a non-trivial bit of code, so it will be a while before it is implemented.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
fastesthamster

Quote:
It is on my TODO list to try and detect the case of brain dead input documents that specify the same left/right margin for every p/div tag and remove it, but this is a non-trivial bit of code, so it will be a while before it is implemented.
That is good news! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'm honored to get a reply from the author himself! Thanks for your fantastic work.

Whatever the technical issues, it seems to me text-indent: 5% shouldn't result in a huge 50% indent. Since the main reason for epub to mobi conversion is the kindle, and since the kindle is not exactly a fringe product, I think it's worthwhile to at least have toggleable options to fix these special cases. Think of all the hassles you will save people from having to manually edit epubs.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'm honored to get a reply from the author himself! Thanks for your fantastic work..........
And Calibre is such a fantastic program.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Tech idoit here, if that's the case why aren't all of them like that? I'd say 95% of my books are fine on my Kindle screen.

Also I had the same problem when I converted a book to ePub for my Kobo.

Note: Not a complaint, I love your software, just curious.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote