Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Not sure if what I want is out there...

I am sort of looking to replace my aging Nook 1st Edition, but I am not sure of what is out there.

I am looking for something that has:
1. Text-to-speech, I especially prefer IVONA TTS.
2. SD card support, not too important, especially if the reader has 2gb+.
3. Bluetooth support would be nice, but 3.5mm is fine.
4. Audio playback for audio books.
5. Eink with backlighting.
6. Less than $200

Basically, I am looking for an Android tablet with an eink screen.

I have read up a bit on Onyx Boox readers, but reviews seem to imply that they don't have very good quality control and are a bit rare
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I am sort of looking to replace my aging Nook 1st Edition, but I am not sure of what is out there.

I am looking for something that has:
1. Text-to-speech, I especially prefer IVONA TTS.
2. SD card support, not too important, especially if the reader has 2gb+.
3. Bluetooth support would be nice, but 3.5mm is fine.
4. Audio playback for audio books.
5. Eink with backlighting.
6. Less than $200

Basically, I am looking for an Android tablet with an eink screen.

I have read up a bit on Onyx Boox readers, but reviews seem to imply that they don't have very good quality control and are a bit rare
You are not likely to get Android tablet for 200 in an E Ink device but look at Boox. It does what you want mostly. E Ink use front light, not backlight.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You are not likely to get Android tablet for 200 in an E Ink device but look at Boox. It does what you want mostly. E Ink use front light, not backlight.

Dale
Well, not exactly a tablet, just a tablet sized ereader running Android. Boox look like they're hit and miss when it comes to quality.

I have seen several references on the form to the Booyue T62. Can anyone comment on its performance? Is it capable of TTS? Granted this device is Chinese and I do have done quality control doubts

I like to tinker with my tech devices, so having to root to get some of the features I want isn't an issue.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Onyx or Booyue. Apparently Onyx has issues with touch sensitivity. I hrard the Boyue light is PW1 quality. Use the search function and look on thedigitalreader. Forget Booxtor. Its not Android and thereforw of limited functionality.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Shades
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Onyx or Booyue. Apparently Onyx has issues with touch sensitivity. I hrard the Boyue light is PW1 quality. Use the search function and look on thedigitalreader. Forget Booxtor. Its not Android and thereforw of limited functionality.
After some reading, the Boyue sounds like the better reader overall compared to the Onyx T68. The only thing holding me back from buying the T62 is the missing Bluetooth. I have gotten too used to not having any wires when listening on my phone.

Grr... Maybe I should wait till Boyue comes up with their next device.
Advert
Old 12-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Or maybe you can still use your phone for audiobooks and the T62 for everything else.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
Shades
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Or maybe you can still use your phone for audiobooks and the T62 for everything else.
But that's what I do now and I do not like it, my Nook still works fine, though it's battery life has never been very good. I would rather all of my reading be done on one device