Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
md655321
md655321 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Reading app for doing research

I have tried searching for an answer but have been unsuccessful so far, so:

I need an android app that allows me to read drm-less epubs, make highlights, and export the highlights to email/pdf/word or something of the sort. My plan is to use an android tablet to do historical research, so I will be doing a lot of highlighting and I need the exact wording (and preferably page number) to be saved.

I believe Kindle highlights can be exported to evernote, but if I am not mistaken it only applies to books purchased through Amazon, which doesnt work for me. If I am wrong please let me know.

Thanks for any replies!
md655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by md655321 View Post
I have tried searching for an answer but have been unsuccessful so far, so:

I need an android app that allows me to read drm-less epubs, make highlights, and export the highlights to email/pdf/word or something of the sort. My plan is to use an android tablet to do historical research, so I will be doing a lot of highlighting and I need the exact wording (and preferably page number) to be saved.

I believe Kindle highlights can be exported to evernote, but if I am not mistaken it only applies to books purchased through Amazon, which doesnt work for me. If I am wrong please let me know.

Thanks for any replies!
LOL, I just posted similar request but for doing this on a dedicated e-ink reader. Here is my solution for this using a android tablet.
Using Moon Reader Pro (well worth the $5) drag over text you wish to highlight. You can then highlight (various colors) or create notes regarding selected text. (I also use jota+ a text editor installed on tablet). After all text you want highlighted in a document you go select bookmarks (in Moon Reader) and in lower left corner tap share. On menu tap share notes and highlights, then on menu tap jota+. This places all highlights or notes made into a text file in jota+. Save this text (named as you wish). Then I hookup tablet to desktop pc and copy text file. Open in Microsoft Word (or whatever) and manipulate as you wish. Moon Reader Pro is great for PDF's cause you fill page width of pdf and then hit horizontal lock which keeps pdf from shifting in screen.

Highlighting and note taking are the thrust of my reading. I've tried tons of e-book readers apps and pdf readers apps and this arrangement works best for me. If I can find a dedicated e-ink reader that would allow me to do this, I would go for it.

Hope this helps. If you try it and have problems let me know and we can go over it.
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
Cool Reader has a selection mode; once the text you want is selected you have a variety of options which include sending to dropbox, clipboard, gmail/email, notepad etc.
The page number might be more problematic, unless you manually note on the record.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
When I have a drm free book I need to make extensive notes in, I convert it from epub to rtf in calibre and then use an office app for the note taking part. You can still make the citations MLA or otherwise compliant.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #5
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumshrew View Post
LOL, I just posted similar request but for doing this on a dedicated e-ink reader. Here is my solution for this using a android tablet.
Using Moon Reader Pro (well worth the $5) drag over text you wish to highlight. You can then highlight (various colors) or create notes regarding selected text. (I also use jota+ a text editor installed on tablet). After all text you want highlighted in a document you go select bookmarks (in Moon Reader) and in lower left corner tap share. On menu tap share notes and highlights, then on menu tap jota+. This places all highlights or notes made into a text file in jota+. Save this text (named as you wish). Then I hookup tablet to desktop pc and copy text file. Open in Microsoft Word (or whatever) and manipulate as you wish. Moon Reader Pro is great for PDF's cause you fill page width of pdf and then hit horizontal lock which keeps pdf from shifting in screen.

Highlighting and note taking are the thrust of my reading. I've tried tons of e-book readers apps and pdf readers apps and this arrangement works best for me. If I can find a dedicated e-ink reader that would allow me to do this, I would go for it.

Hope this helps. If you try it and have problems let me know and we can go over it.
Thanks for sharing your workflow. I would offer that using a mobile device like Android/iOS/WinRT you can bypass the necessity of a physical connection to xfer the files.

I use a couple options depending on the OS version of my device or how the app I'm using functions.

First I prefer to use my cloud options like Box or DropBox. If possible I set them up to monitor the dir where export files are saved then move them to the cloud. On the other end I have the same apps setup to monitor for new files. This keeps everything synched almost in realtime. Of course there are limitations here, especially if not near cloud access.

That brings the 2nd option. As long as I have my Jelly Bean devices I can always do a direct Wifi xfer of the files. It takes a few steps but at least it precludes the need for a cable with me all the time. Plus it is sooooo "hard" to get up and walk that 10-15 ft to find the right cable. Of course the issue here is if Direct Wifi is not supported on one of the devices.

Third is sharing files over whatever wifi network I'm on. As long as the network does not have node isolation enabled the it works easily. Obviously security issues exist here but if enabled only for the period needed to move the files these are all but a non-factor.

My last resort is one due to conscious decision on hardware requirements for my devices. That is an SD card slot. I can use the throwback equivalent of "sneaker net" to just move the card to the other device. As I always have a card in each device, most are clones of each other, it's a nifty always there option. Even my phones must have that SD card slot. One never knows if one needs to download a movie to one device while using another then taking that movie(s) with you for your other device.

My preferred option has become cloud storage, I was lucky to get in on the original Box accounts with the lifetime free 50gb of space plus I have my Dropbox account and Dropsync. And if I am not near wifi I always can tether to my 4g LTE phone via BT using FoxFi/PDAnet....these are all, for me painless alternatives to that ardous 15ft walk to locate that USB cable. :sly:
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
forumshrew
forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.forumshrew understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Asus Transformer
RKW

Thank you for the info. I'm always interested in the opportunity to learn something new. I use Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box on my desktop. (different content to different places). They are the greatest addition to tech for me because no more "I'll backup later" dealio. Dropbox syncs as I'm creating and saving documents.

But I'm a strange bird when it comes to mobile devices. With my tablets I don't email or anything involving passwords. I use my desktop for all financial transactions, checking bank statements, and other financial dealings. My desktop is setup for great security and I feel confident, and secure in using it. All valuable info (tax records etc) is kept on thumb drive not on desktop or the cloud.

I know I could do more with my tablets but they are essentially for reading and study. I love my offline dictionaries, note taking capabilities, and other things I do offline. My mobile online revolves around a few apps like Yelp, the NASA app (astounding content) and others. Anyway, I've said all that to say thanks for you taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Oh, let me just plug this last app. PlayTo. With it I can stream internet content that it makes available through my Roku to my TV (no cables involved). PBS is my interest and I have access to more content through this app then if I go to their website itself. I can also stream any content from my desktop likewise. BUT the hidden gem in this is that after I start a video stream of say an hour long program or a two hour movie I can power off the tablet completely and the video will continue to stream in its entirety. Saving battery life.
forumshrew is offline   Reply With Quote