Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
(Good E-Reader) Paperwhite Vs. Glo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPnwOpuZ_Q4

Sigh the YouTube wrap is NOT working.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The light, according to these guy's camera, is "better" on the paperwhite with no bluish tinge, but again, that all depends on their camera settings. What I liked was that the Glo was just about a half second faster than the paperwhite on that 100MB pdf file

Your move, Amazon.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
tnforpaul45
Zealot

Thanks PeterT! I see what you did there. . . now I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I thought they should have done more to equalize the font sizes of the books; ideally try to get the same content onto each screen.

Also, why leave the Kobo at such a high brightness level?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
"Line spacing and margin adjustments don't work on sideloaded books" on the Kobo? Coulda fooled me, I've been adjusting them for ten months. Pretty sure they haven't turned that off in the Glo, these clowns are just using a book that overrules those adjustment options.

And why are they rabbiting on about the PW having "ten pixels more"? I thought the Kindle had exactly the same 1024x758 screen as the Glo. (Still, this is GoodEReader. If there weren't obvious errors, we'd wonder if they'd started outsourcing.)

Can't help wondering if Amazon deliberately fed non-splotchy displays to reviewers.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
berklon
berklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animalsberklon is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
The light, according to these guy's camera, is "better" on the paperwhite with no bluish tinge, but again, that all depends on their camera settings.
The reviewers are seeing the blueish tinge with their own eyes and we're seeing it through the video from a camera's capture. This can't be blamed on the camera settings. It's obvious the Kobo Glo is bluish while the Paperwhite is white.
berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
It's hard to disagree with them that the Paperwhite does seem to be more entirely white rather than blueish. It's even apparent in the video and that isn't camera effects. Looks to me the way Kobo and Amazon spread out and illuminate the screen is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
"Line spacing and margin adjustments don't work on sideloaded books" on the Kobo? Coulda fooled me, I've been adjusting them for ten months. Pretty sure they haven't turned that off in the Glo, these clowns are just using a book that overrules those adjustment options.
Sorry, I have a Glo and a lot (maybe all, I can't recall one that I could adjust those) of my sideloaded books just won't adjust margins and line spacing. You can move the cursor left/right, but nothing happens. It was the same on my Touch too.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's hard to disagree with them that the Paperwhite does seem to be more entirely white rather than blueish. It's even apparent in the video and that isn't camera effects. Looks to me the way Kobo and Amazon spread out and illuminate the screen is very different.[/QUOTE]

And other PWs have huge green and pink splotches and severe headlamping. A lot of inconsistency in display quality. I do wish they'd left the Glo on a matching illumination setting for a better comparison, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
Sorry, I have a Glo and a lot (maybe all, I can't recall one that I could adjust those) of my sideloaded books just won't adjust margins and line spacing. You can move the cursor left/right, but nothing happens. It was the same on my Touch too.
All of mine will. Try a Calibre epub>epub conversion to strip the fixed crap, if your sideloads have them.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
All of mine will. Try a Calibre epub>epub conversion to strip the fixed crap, if your sideloads have them.
Thanks a bunch my friend !

I'm not yet very familiar with Calibre but I just did what you suggested and it WORKED (had to remove upon conversion CSS for marging and line height). I can adjust line spacing and margins as I wish now.

Now I know how to get these sideloaded books to look great on my Kobo. What a difference does that make, can't believe I haven't tried that earlier.

Thanks a thousand again!
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #11
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I can adjust margin and line spacing in my side-loaded epubs with my Touch as well as with my Glo most of the time (all my books go through Calibre). When it's not possible and I want absolutely do something about it, I modify them in Sigil and it's often a CSS issue. I'm happy with my Glo (by the way I love the bluish tint of the glow ) but for me the heavy point of the kindle paperwhite is the way it handles the .pdf files from what I saw on the video.

So far no regret for me to have chosen the Glo (least of all for the less "proprietary" system of the Glo versus the kindle's "locked" one and furthermore the paperwhite is not yet available in France, just in preorder and I wasn't able to find the release date)

When I first looked for an ereader, I soon set aside the kindle family because of the tie it set on my reading. I finaly choose the Kobo and I'm happy with my choice
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks a bunch my friend !

I'm not yet very familiar with Calibre but I just did what you suggested and it WORKED (had to remove upon conversion CSS for marging and line height). I can adjust line spacing and margins as I wish now.

Now I know how to get these sideloaded books to look great on my Kobo. What a difference does that make, can't believe I haven't tried that earlier.

Thanks a thousand again!
You are welcome! I was fiddling again with the Kindle I admin this week, and my oh my Kobo's text/font customisation features are indispensable to me. I couldn't deal with that bland, uniform text appearance all the time. Brrr.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've just side loaded a lot of books onto my kobo glow and the line spacing could be adjusted but not the margins. Anyhow overall side loaded books are more customizable on the kobo than the kindle. Also in a dark room the light on the kobo is white, it's only in well lit rooms at low settings that the light on the glo appears bluish. Also I can read perfectly well in a pitch black room on the lowest setting on the Kobo. I'm sure you'd have to turn the paper white up a few notched before you can read. Haven't watched the video yet, will do later. However, I've seen the glo vs the nook and the nook vs the kindle. The kindle was slightly better than the nook but in the video I saw the kobo was a lot better than the Nook. So go figure.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 10-20-2012 at 03:02 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This begs the question: Is this bluish tinge on the Glo an issue when reading ? a bother or annoyance ? if not then who cares that it's bluish, if yes then please someone explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
The reviewers are seeing the blueish tinge with their own eyes and we're seeing it through the video from a camera's capture. This can't be blamed on the camera settings. It's obvious the Kobo Glo is bluish while the Paperwhite is white.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If your sideloaded book has margins and line spacing set in the stylesheets or directly in the xhtml code, the Kobo will not override it. Font size is also affected as the Kobo starts with the ebooks font size and modifies it from there -- a book that uses 1.33em as the default font size will have text about 33% larger than a book that uses 1em as the default font size at the same font size setting.

Personally, I have a stock set of line spacings, margins and font sizes plus other bits and pieces in a stylesheet that I use in all the ebooks I modify just to keep a consistent appearance. Nothing like buying three ebooks in a series and finding the default font size ranges from .8em to 1.4em which makes switching between books to check information a PITA. Book 1, she's a niece, book 2 she's a daughter, book 3 she's a granddaughter. Either poor author continuity or a family that takes kissing cousins to a whole new level.

Sample for the body style I use:

display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
text-align: left;
word-wrap: break-word;
widows: 2;