Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Exclamation I used to think writer's block was a myth

But apparently not. I'm trying to write my second short story and for the past 18 months, nothing. I know I gave a full time job to hold down and pay the bills, but I used to do a chapter a month.

Anyone any ideas as to a remedy?
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
JUST WRITE! That's your job.

Last edited by neilmarr; 07-25-2010 at 12:57 PM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
JUST WRITE! That's your job.
Thanks for the advice Neil, but I've tried that one.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
Thanks for the advice Neil, but I've tried that one.
Ask what your POV character wants and then make sure they don't get it. Restate the want in a fictional sentence, a interior thought or an exterior moment of dialogue.

Say for instance you were writing a horror story about a haunted boat. A boat that means certain death for any that take it out into the water. And let's further say you've reached a point where you have your main POV character (let's make her a Detective with a fear of drowning) stood at the edge of the water as the sinister boat emerges through the early morning mists.

What does the POV character want? Lets' put it into the story.

<Michelle wants the boat>

It was the boat. The damned boat held the answer, she was sure now. She had to get hold of it somehow...some way.

<Michelle can't have the boat>

Michelle slipped off one pump then the other. The artificial pebbles that lined the shores of the lake were cold against her bare feet. She took a few hesitant steps toward the water's edge.

Her stomach clenched. Her legs wavered, turned to jelly beneath her.

Forget what happened. Forget the past. There's no chance you can drown here. You're not a kid anymore.

She swallowed hard...

Whether it be an internal struggle or something external, put an obstacle in front of the want and you'll be out of your block in no time.

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
It just reminds me of a great parody: The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont. One of the themes is pulp writer, William Gibson (The Shadow),gets a massive writer's block. He overcomes it when he stops being a prima donna and begins to cooperate with other writers.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Deat...0080548&sr=8-2
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
He doesn't have "writer's block", he has "writes block" -- didn't you read the thread title? And there's a warning icon on the thread; it must be contagious, or maybe it's going to make him explode.

(why yes, I'm snarky today ... seems only fair when the person I'm replying to has "'ll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter" in his sig)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
He doesn't have "writer's block", he has "writes block" -- didn't you read the thread title? And there's a warning icon on the thread; it must be contagious, or maybe it's going to make him explode.

(why yes, I'm snarky today ... seems only fair when the person I'm replying to has "'ll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter" in his sig)
Dude, take a step back. Your sig isn't exactly diplomatic either.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What's not diplomatic about my .sig? It's not randomly insulting the world -- it's just telling the people who insist on trying to mess with Calibre's private files not to do so because it messes up Calibre. I thought "don't go peeking up its skirt" was funnier than "don't fiddle with its library files".
Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
What's not diplomatic about my .sig? It's not randomly insulting the world -- it's just telling the people who insist on trying to mess with Calibre's private files not to do so because it messes up Calibre. I thought "don't go peeking up its skirt" was funnier than "don't fiddle with its library files".
Do you have anything at all to give to this thread, or are you just hanging around here to insult the OP and anybody else who happens to be within your snark zone?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Let's take this to PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Let's take this to PM.
No, let's not.

You've ruined what could have been an interesting thread about writing and how we write and why sometimes we can't write. Thanks a bunch, mate.

EDIT: And if you do get reported for this, know that it wasn't I who made the report. I would never report anyone, or go to PM if I had a beef with them. It's unfair to be unable to face your accuser, and I wouldn't stoop that low.

Last edited by Moejoe; 07-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

My one single comment stopped the other 73,329 members of MobleRead from posting? Wow ... so that's my secret superpower or something? Had you not chosen to reply, that's all it would have been -- one single comment. I have no intention of discussing the subject publicly any further, so feel free to have the last word.

As for the OP: The way to cure writer's block is to write. If you can't write what you're working on, write something else. Write a different story. Write Lost fanfic. Write your favorite recipes and make a personal cookbook. Write a visitor's guide to your back yard. Write your grocery list, if that's all that will come out. It doesn't matter what you're writing, just write. When your subconscious realizes that your conscious mind isn't going to accept "writer's block" as an excuse to not sit an the keyboard and bang on it for your scheduled writing time, it'll give up and start letting the words out again.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
But apparently not. I'm trying to write my second short story and for the past 18 months, nothing. I know I gave a full time job to hold down and pay the bills, but I used to do a chapter a month.

Anyone any ideas as to a remedy?
Write something about a writer with writer's block. Or write something about the people at work. Or something else.

Writer's block is a myth. Writing comes when writing wants to come, you can't force it to a timetable or schedule.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
mjhudston
All round good egg

I'm trying to write other stuff as well, I.E my blog which is turning into a rant session of late.

how do people write their stories. do they use story boards, note books or anything else? I tend to make notes in my notebook when they come to me, but as I said nothing of late.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
MJ - First, how are your stress levels?

Second - How do you feel about what you're trying to write?

Third - Have you tried writing something completely different, instead of what you're trying to write?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote