Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
NAO
NAO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Which one for unprotected pdf books in PD?

My main application for an e-reader will be for the massive library of out-of-print, public domian books that I have amassed as PDF files.

I don't see many of the books I would buy available from any of the big vendors, so it's safe to say I'll be loading nearly all of my own content.

Now I've used the Mobipocket Creator to convert my PDF books into .prc ebooks; then I've used the Mobipocket Reader to view the output to get a kind of simulation of what I'll be doing with my device.

Since Sony doesn't support unprotected Mobipocket files, and I've read that it doesn't do well with PDFs, I THINK that rules out the Sony 505.

So now I think it's down to either Amazon Kindle or iRex iLad.

Any suggestions or tips? Remember, I don't plan to buy much content - I am going to convert or import unprotected PDFs so I don't have to print them out (which is what I have been doing).

My main concerns center around quality of the display output - the ability to control the font size, the line spacing, retention of the paragraph format, and retention of some semblance of the original text layout - so that it seems as if I am reading printed PDF files.
NAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If you want to read the unprotected Mobi files you made the Kindle, Cybook or Iliad will do it. For PDF's the Sony, Cybook or Iliad will display them, but if they're formatted as A4 or Letter size they aren't going to look good. For PDF's formatted at an A4 or Letter size page the Iliad would probably be best since it has the largest screen. Pretty much any book is going to look better in the given readers main file format. .prc for Cybook, Iliad & Kindle or .lrf for Sony. Many public domain books have already been formatted into these formats & can be downloaded here on MobileRead & other places.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The CyBook Gen3 also supports Mobi.

There are programs that also support PDF to LRF for use on the Sony 500/505.

Now from what I have read, screen quality is more variable from one unit to the next within any given line of readers in a production run than it is between the CyBook Gen3, Kindle, and Sony 505. They all use the same current generation e-ink screen.

As for the concerns you mentioned about formatting for your next device, these are all things you can control in the conversion. It is just a matter of selecting the right tool or tools and using them correctly. Any of the readers will produce a fine reading experience.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote