Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
EnginerdLisa
EnginerdLisa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reason to update from K1?

If you have a K1 that works and is still in perfect condition is there any real reason to upgrade to the K2 or DX? Is there any evidence that Amazon will 'cut off' K1 owners and stop making books for us? Looking on ebay I see K1s selling for $100-$200, I could sell it and cover part of the price of a new one. However, other than the drive to have the newest cool toy is there any evidence that a K1 owner should upgrade if they want to keep reading?
EnginerdLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnginerdLisa View Post
If you have a K1 that works and is still in perfect condition is there any real reason to upgrade to the K2 or DX? Is there any evidence that Amazon will 'cut off' K1 owners and stop making books for us? Looking on ebay I see K1s selling for $100-$200, I could sell it and cover part of the price of a new one. However, other than the drive to have the newest cool toy is there any evidence that a K1 owner should upgrade if they want to keep reading?
If you're happy with your K1, there is no need to upgrade. If you're curious, you can order a K2 see how you like it and return it within 30 days for a refund minus shipping.

Amazon will not stop making Kindle books for the K1 because they don't make Kindle books for each device (there are some that are "optimized" for use with the DX). All Kindle books will work on all Kindles.

I have both K1 and K2 (as well as the Kindle app on my iPod Touch) and though I use K2 as my main reading device, I keep my K1 as a back and master storage device because of the SD card storage. I can loan it out to family or friends to share a book and still be able to read on my K2.

I hope to add another non-Kindle eink device to my library in the next year once I see how things shake out.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have both K1 and K2 - and use both. One of the main reasons I kept the K2 is the dictionary function - I am always looking up definitions - and the K1 was SUPER clunky (looking up ALL the words on a line - and took forever - and took you off your page). The K2 has the dictionary look-up on the bottom of the page, you can select individual words, and move easily to cross-linked or related entries.
Plus, the K2 moved a lot of button functions (esp. Whispernet off/on) to the menus.

These may be minor piddling points, but over a long period of time, they added up for me.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont see a reason for the upgrade unless you want the latest and greatest. I bought a K2 for myself and got the K1 for my sister from eBay. While the K2 is a little faster it is not enough to warrant the upgrade. If I would have had a K1 to play with initially I would have gotten that one and saved myself some money.
If you do decide to sell the K1 let me know. I am in the market for one for my sis in law
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
For me, I like the K1 better than the K2. In fact, I bought a used K1 for my daughter for her birthday.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I might consider upgrading to the DX for PDFs and better formatting on web pages, but I'm really happy with my K1, so it's just a consideration for now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I might consider upgrading to the DX for PDFs and better formatting on web pages, but I'm really happy with my K1, so it's just a consideration for now.
My advice is to keep your K1 and wait for a better device with a larger screen. The DX is severely crippled as far as it's PDF abilities go. Seems Amazon did the bare minimum to get PDF working.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I've had the K1 for more than a year and a half, and have had absolutely no problems at all. While I bought an extra battery just in case, the original is still working perfectly, and I read several hours every day.

My son bought a K2 and it is very nice, but nothing at all that would make me change at this point. I particularly don't like the fact that the K2 does not have a user replaceable battery. If it ever dies, you have to pay a lot to have it replaced, plus you will be without it for a couple of weeks or so while you send it in, wait for it to have the battery replaced, and wait for it to be shipped back. That alone is a deal-breaker for me.

If my K1 ever dies, I'd still look for a used one, but if no longer available, then I could live with the K2. I don't see anything it has that would me change now.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If you are happy with the K1 I'd just stick with it. The only really compelling upgrade decision if you read standard ebooks is screen size imo and there are some negatives associated with the DX at the moment (weight, awkwardness). So stick with the K1 and wait and see where the DX goes imo (if you want that extra size)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #10
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I have both: I got the K1 a few months after it came out (missed the price drop by about 5 weeks) and then won the K2 in the generous Mobileread giveaway not quite a year later, (if I recall correctly.)

They both have good points. I like the more convenient interface the K2 "joystick" makes possible--many things that required 2 menu selections with the K1 can be done with one on the K2--and the K2 is slightly faster to turn pages. But I like the K1's user replaceable battery (for peace of mind--if the battery goes south you can get a new one for 20$) and SD card (effectively unlimited storage space and the potential to organize books by card), which the K2 doesn't have.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket and it's important to you to have the latest (or sleekest) version, or if the K1's quirky page turn buttons and roller are driving you mad, by all means buy the K2; it's a fine liseuse. But if money is tight and you don't mind having version one, stick with the K1. Because 99% of what you'll do with it is read, and for reading the two are pretty much the same.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Probably no major reasons. Most K1 owners are perfectly happy with their purchase.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I'll add my vote along w/ the others above -- stick with the K1. We have added a K2 to the family for my wife, and while it has some pros compared to the K1, it also has some cons. I'm perfectly happy with the K1 and am not at all tempted to move to the K2 (which is rare for me as a "gadget person").

If I were purchasing a reader for my professional/technical reading, I might consider the DX. However, I still do that reading on paper, and the DX doesn't interest me at this point. Too many compromises IMHO.

I'll wait and see what the next generation brings, in both in small and large size devices.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I've had the K1 for more than a year and a half, and have had absolutely no problems at all. While I bought an extra battery just in case, the original is still working perfectly, and I read several hours every day.

My son bought a K2 and it is very nice, but nothing at all that would make me change at this point. I particularly don't like the fact that the K2 does not have a user replaceable battery. If it ever dies, you have to pay a lot to have it replaced, plus you will be without it for a couple of weeks or so while you send it in, wait for it to have the battery replaced, and wait for it to be shipped back. That alone is a deal-breaker for me.
I still have my K1 but I don't like that I can't navigate directly to a word or input field but have to go through various sets of dialog boxes to do anything ... and wait.

The battery replacement if needed in the first year would indicate a defective unit and Amazon replaces those as part of the basic warranty.

If you bought an extended warranty from Amazon (possible only within the first 30 days or so) you get free replacement if it should happen in the 2nd year but you also get one free accidental-damage replacement during the 2 years.

The online-dictionary process makes a big difference on the K2. If one tries its webplodder, it is also far better on the K2. There is a copy-paste function that's not documented that's useful with the K2 for all kinds of things.

The K1 is a really good book-reader, at any rate. Not so much for periodicals and subscriptions where it is irritating to navigate.

- Andrys

Last edited by andrys; 07-17-2009 at 10:55 PM.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Not worth it IMO. I bought a used K1 back when the K2 came out as I didn't see a need to pay so much more for the minor improvements. Not to mention losing SD card support and user-replaceable battery.

Wait and see what they do with the K3.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
The online-dictionary process makes a big difference on the K2. If one tries its webplodder, it is also far better on the K2. There is a copy-paste function that's not documented that's useful with the K2 for all kinds of things.

- Andrys
Do tell! I haven't run across this Easter Egg before.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote