Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
telnetd / gaining root

I'm not quite as gutsy as igorsk when it comes to publishing actual reverse engineering tools, but this evening I managed to get a telnetd onto my K2.

If you know how to build update packages, it should be straightforward for you to knock something together.

http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/a-produ...ng-so-far.html
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/root.html
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
kylecronan
-
kylecronan began at the beginning.

Did you just create an init.d script for your telnetd and link to it from /etc/rc5.d? I tried this (and a couple other methods) with a script that just ran netcat to listen and spawn a shell, but it didn't work for some reason. I'm working on crosscompiling telnetd now.

And no, I don't have any intention to do things Amazon wouldn't like. They must not care too much anyway, because they apparently did nothing to make the K2 any different/harder to hack than the K1 (which had published info on it!)

Kyle
kylecronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

see if debugMessages shows you what happened when your update ran. (But you don't need to build your own telnet. you can use a statically linked busybox built for android or maemo.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
kylecronan
-
kylecronan began at the beginning.

I haven't noticed anything called debugMessages. What's that?
kylecronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
goldfinger
goldfinger began at the beginning.

I'm just interested in getting custom screensavers. I don't care about getting free internet. Just a Java developer interested in tinkering with my Kindle. I go a compiled andriod busybox, but having problems creating the update*.bin file.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
I'm just interested in getting custom screensavers. I don't care about getting free internet. Just a Java developer interested in tinkering with my Kindle. I go a compiled andriod busybox, but having problems creating the update*.bin file.
Another member has already come up with a hack for screensavers on K2. See post #53 of this thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
daffy4u, do you have any idea if this will work the same for the K1?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
daffy4u, do you have any idea if this will work the same for the K1?
There is a different set-up for K1. Those instructions are here.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
I'm not quite as gutsy as igorsk when it comes to publishing actual reverse engineering tools, but this evening I managed to get a telnetd onto my K2.

If you know how to build update packages, it should be straightforward for you to knock something together.

http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/a-produ...ng-so-far.html
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/03/root.html

You're all over the place. You keep popping up in my Google Reader.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I was wondering if one can exchange the font and get unicode support after gaining root. Any idea?
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The device supports unicode already and its the font that they are shipping missing the glyphs that you want. (I know minor difference but everyone seems to forget the difference between supporting unicode and the glyphs required to display the characters)

Obviously its possible to hack the device and replace the font, just remember that font itself is a copyrighted work, and Microsoft didn't spends years + tons of money to make a font for you to use it in the Kindle =D
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Obviously its possible to hack the device and replace the font, just remember that font itself is a copyrighted work, and Microsoft didn't spends years + tons of money to make a font for you to use it in the Kindle =D
Copyrighted doesn't mean unusable. Microsoft's EULA for Times/Arial/Courier gives you the right to install all you want, wherever you want. Which is why they're freely downloadable.

Though MS is not even close to being the only source for Unicode fonts.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
jesse
Connoisseur

I have some ideas about getting proper and free fonts onto the Kindle. If I can make it go, I'll package an "upgrade"
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
I have some ideas about getting proper and free fonts onto the Kindle. If I can make it go, I'll package an "upgrade"
That could be the best news EVER!
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I should mention that whatever package you dream of releasing, indicate the change in the version string file; otherwise, customer service has no idea that someone reports a problem with all these misc. packages installed. Costs both the dev + qa griefs on hunting ghosts.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote