Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
kumori
kumori began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Glo HD Page Turn Freezes

Just got a Glo HD over the holidays and I'm facing a constant issue of the Glo HD freezing up when reading any book. Basically what will happen is as I'm reading a book and turning pages, at some point the Glo will just freeze and stop responding. I can't turn pages, access the menus, or return to the home screen. The only way to get everything back to normal is to put the Glo to sleep and then wake it up again using the power button.

The odd thing is that upon waking up, the Glo will wake up as if all the screen taps were processed. Like I will tap twice when it's frozen (the screen won't respond or change), and then after sleep-wake up, it jumps two pages ahead.

This issue tends to occur after I initially open a book, where the Glo will normally function for up to 10 minutes, and then the freezes will appear. Once the freezes start, it tends to re-occur frequently.

The was occurring with a sideloaded ePub, so I thought maybe it was the ePub causing the issue. I then used Calibre to load it onto the device (didn't fix the issue), tried using Calibre to convert it to mobi (didn't fix issue either), and finally converted it to KePub (no luck). I tried other ePubs, all had the same issue. Finally I tried reading a Kobo book preview I got from the Kobo store, and the freezes occurred on that as well.

I've already factory reset the device once and I've updated to the latest firmware provided by Kobo. This issue occurs on both the newest firmware and the one before it, so the firmware update didn't solve the issue.

I have the sleep cover on the Kobo, but this issue will occur with and without the sleep cover on.

At this point, I'm starting to think its just a defective device which will require warranty service. Any ideas?
kumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try a factory reset and then update the firmware to the 3.19 version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
kumori
kumori began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I did try a factory reset and upgrading, as I'm running firmware 3.19 right now. However that hasn't solved the issue. I'll try resetting again and seeing if that does anything.
kumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do you swipe or tap to turn the page? If you don't read and move around the library for a while, does it happen? Does changing books "reset" the time it takes to happen?

Your problem description is similar to a problem with text selection that I occasionally see. Sometimes when I select some text, the device hangs. Closing the cover and opening it gets it going again. When it happens, it is almost always when I select from the right side of the screen to the let. And, I have triggered it with a slower than usual swipe to turn the page or a slow tap where I moved my finger a bit. This is happening a lot less in recent firmware. A way to avoid this would be use the bottom of the screen, in the bottom bar area to turn the page. Long term, that might not be good, but to eliminate causes, it should work.

It could also be a hardware problem. If you can consistently reproduce it, and a factory reset doesn't fix it, then blaming the hardware isn't unreasonable. I'd try the test above and if they don't help, exchange it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote