Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2023, 07:42 AM   #1
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Edit Book Info directly from PocketBook - epub format & FW6+ only

Here is a quick and simple way to edit specific book info directly from a PocketBook, focusing on the PocketBook library categories of:
  • Author Name
  • Book Title
  • Series Title
  • Number in Series
  • Genre

Installation
Place "setup.app" (available HERE) into the applications directory of your device (/mnt/ext1/applications) and run it from the device itself. This will add the prerequisite files the script needs to your device and initiate a restart.

Use
Simply long-press a book from the Home Screen or Library and you will have the option to:
Open with > Edit Book info
where you will be prompted to enter the new details for the attributes listed above. Once complete you'll be asked to overwrite the existing epub file or create a new epub file by entering a filename. When you're finished editing, restart your device and relaunch the Library app. It can take 10-30 seconds after relaunching the Library app for changed information to update and display.

Book series
Whenever you modify the following three book attributes:
Author Name
Series Title
Genre

a series template text file is created (in "/mnt/ext1/Series Templates"). This allows you to select a template when editing books of the same series rather than retyping the same info every time. The text files are saved with a .tif extension so they can be managed/deleted easily via the Gallery application.

Please leave a comment on whether the package works for you, and/or if you have any suggestions for changes/additions. [You will likely need to be on firmware 6+.]

Thanks to:
  • This script is based on rkomar's "edit-epub" script and uses his sh_ivtool, zip and unzip binaries available from HERE
  • This script also uses a method of merging a TAR file into the script to unpack prerequisite files; functionality I borrowed from ezdiy's jailbreak installer. (jailbreak not required for this script to function however)

The "Edit Book info" installer can be found HERE

Last edited by neil_swann80; 08-28-2023 at 10:59 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 08:13 AM   #2
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
Very cool! I'll give this a test after work today. I like this idea as sometimes I make errors in Calibre and don't notice until after I send them over. This makes it easier

You should add this to GitHub so it's always available
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw174 View Post
Very cool! I'll give this a test after work today. I like this idea as sometimes I make errors in Calibre and don't notice until after I send them over. This makes it easier

You should add this to GitHub so it's always available
https://github.com/neilswann80/Edit_Book_info

I always find errors in my book library on a train and without my laptop it seems. It's nice being able to fix the errors immediately.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 08:43 AM   #5
Robin_reads
Robin_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Ooh very handy!
However, it doesn't completely work on my ereader (Pocketbook Era)... When i edit the info, all attributes get a line of (I think?) code in front of it:
Latineime: Loading /ebrmain/share/latinime//NL.dict latinime: Dictionary info:dictionary = main:nl version = 54 ; date = 1414726258 latinime: Loading / ebrmain/share/latinime// EN.dict
And when I edited the file, it did not show up in the Series Templates file.

I'd love to effectively use this tool, but could you help me fix this problem perhaps?
Robin_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2024, 12:16 PM   #6
neil_swann80

I can't test this right now as my ereader is off for a warranty repair, but try the attached.

EDIT: removed this iteration as now redundant.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 01-12-2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:50 AM   #7
Robin_reads
Robin_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Hi, thanks so much for helping! However, when I try your new file to edit the metadata, I can't edit the author's last name and number in series, which was possible with you other app, and my ereader tells me at the end of editing "No changes made" in a popup screen...
Do you know how to fix that? (If you don't want to, no hard feelings and many thanks for the effort already made!!!)
Robin_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:14 AM   #8
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_reads View Post
Hi, thanks so much for helping! However, when I try your new file to edit the metadata, I can't edit the author's last name and number in series, which was possible with you other app, and my ereader tells me at the end of editing "No changes made" in a popup screen...
Do you know how to fix that? (If you don't want to, no hard feelings and many thanks for the effort already made!!!)
I'll have to properly test the app when I get my device back from the warranty repair (e-ink screen failure).

I was getting a similar issue with keyboard input to another app; the problem emerged after I updated to the 6.8 FW. Seems like the PocketBook developers left some debugging statement in their keyboard code that writes to standard output which is being prepended to what the user types.

I'll drop you a message after I get my device back and make the correction. I will definitely be fixing it as I like to use it myself!

EDIT: I noticed I'd made a mistake... so you can try the attached... if this doesn't work it will have to wait until I can fully test on my own ereader. Make sure to delete the "Series Templates" directory before testing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip setup.zip (172.4 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by neil_swann80; 01-12-2024 at 12:39 PM.