Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #106
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I'm bummed, but not surprised. I bought a 505 when it first came out and loved it. Wish I hadn't left it on the roof of my car...

Anyway, I replaced it with a 650 that I still have. I love the quality feel of the device. I mainly read Overdrive books, or converted Web articles, so the store was never a big deal for me.

I think I'll look for a T3, just to have a backup. I know readers are niche, but I prefer it for reading. I love the contrast and battery life.

I won a Nook Color as a door prize a few years back. It sits in a drawer, unused.

I purchased a Google Nexus 7 tablet with gift cards last year. I like it, but don't read on it.

For the record, I also have a Sony Walkman X (MP3 player) that really sounds good, too. It feels like the quality piece it is. Sony mostly vacated the MP3 player market, too (although they sell the NW-ZX1, it's about $800 in the US.)
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #107
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You may want to look into a Kindle, which in the US (lucky you) is compatible with most OverDrive books -- directly through the Kindle's browser, even. (The usual caveats for using an e-ink browser on a 6-inch screen apply.)

The Kobo can integrate directly with Pocket for viewing web articles, but it is just as convenient (in different ways), and more extensible, to use calibre's news download, with ANY device.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You may want to look into a Kindle, which in the US (lucky you) is compatible with most OverDrive books -- directly through the Kindle's browser, even. (The usual caveats for using an e-ink browser on a 6-inch screen apply.)

The Kobo can integrate directly with Pocket for viewing web articles, but it is just as convenient (in different ways), and more extensible, to use calibre's news download, with ANY device.
How can one borrow Kindle eBooks using the Kindle's browser? I thought that was not possible.

However, Kobo is even more compatible with Overdrive eBooks as most are in ePub (more are in ePub then in Kindle formats).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #109
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can one borrow Kindle eBooks using the Kindle's browser? I thought that was not possible.

However, Kobo is even more compatible with Overdrive eBooks as most are in ePub (more are in ePub then in Kindle formats).
Why do you think it is impossible? Have you actually tried it? Have you heard someone say thye tried it and it doesn't work?

The only thing that would be impossible is if it crashed the browser. Happily, I can report from experience that it doesn't. (At least no yet. They may "update" their website.)

Kobo is not incompatible with OverDrive any more than any other EPUB device. They just require using a computer and ADE.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #110
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
For OverDrive I prefer to use my computer or tablet to browse and borrow a book, and send to the Kindle without having to hook it up. Just need to turn wifi on to get the book.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #111
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
For OverDrive I prefer to use my computer or tablet to browse and borrow a book, and send to the Kindle without having to hook it up. Just need to turn wifi on to get the book.
I do too, but sometimes it is handy to be completely independent of the computer. Certainly, it is useful to have that option. Options are always good.

Personally, I hate some of the OverDrive changes that makes it more annoying to use outside of a computer browser. The Kindle browser (builtin or hacked) is not exactly pleasant to use the OverDrive website.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #112
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Quote:
I would, If I didn't like Sony's hardware so much.
I might, if/when my Sony devices stop working. (I use my 650 every day.)

I was able to find a T3 online, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the tip.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #113
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post
I would, If I didn't like Sony's hardware so much.
I might, if/when my Sony devices stop working. (I use my 650 every day.)

I was able to find a T3 online, so I ordered it.

Thanks for the tip.
Of course, you like your current ereader. But when your last Sony hits the dust, and you cannot find another reasonably,... something to look into.

(I ♥ Kindle. )
Old 08-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why do you think it is impossible? Have you actually tried it? Have you heard someone say thye tried it and it doesn't work?
I've read it here on MR that using a Kindle to borrow eBooks from Overdrive requires a computer. Sony was the only brand that allows Overdrive borrowing without a computer (well it was back then).

Quote:
The only thing that would be impossible is if it crashed the browser. Happily, I can report from experience that it doesn't. (At least no yet. They may "update" their website.)
Is this being done from a stock Kindle that anyone can use as is? Do you have to change any settings that most people would know find/know about?

Quote:
Kobo is not incompatible with OverDrive any more than any other EPUB device. They just require using a computer and ADE.
Kobo is more compatible with Overdrive then a Kindle because more eBooks are available in ePub and if you are not using a US library, then you don't get a Kindle option. So overall, a Kobo is much more Overdrive friendly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #115
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
I've read it here on MR that using a Kindle to borrow eBooks from Overdrive requires a computer. Sony was the only brand that allows Overdrive borrowing without a computer (well it was back then).
Do you mean back before OverDrive struck a deal with Amazon, period? The Kindle has a perfectly functional browser compatible with the web tech OverDrive uses, and has worked for as far back as I have had a Kindle (at which point Amazon had already struck their deal). (And possibly further back as well. )

Quote:
Is this being done from a stock Kindle that anyone can use as is? Do you have to change any settings that most people would know find/know about?
Yes and no. You can do it from the stock browser without any changes. I just happen to have switched to using the hacked skipstone browser for everything including OverDrive, because I find it nicer. Plus it has bookmarks. (Which the stock browser technically has, but it is NOT the same!)

Quote:
Kobo is more compatible with Overdrive then a Kindle because more eBooks are available in ePub and if you are not using a US library, then you don't get a Kindle option. So overall, a Kobo is much more Overdrive friendly.
That is why I specifically referred to the US, and "most OverDrive books". You need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #116
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I've just done it from my stock PW2. It was a bit of a struggle, the experimental browser crashed a couple of times, and the page loading is really slow, but it worked fine.

All you have to do is browse to your library's overdrive site, log in, choose the book you want to borrow, and borrow it and choose download to Kindle. It'll then take you to the Amazon download page (you really want to log into Amazon prior to going to your library's website, or you'll have to go back to it as once you log into Amazon, it's a pain to get back to the download page), and you click the download button - making sure that you are downloading the the correct device. The book then appears on the Kindle's Home Page.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #117
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I've just done it from my stock PW2. It was a bit of a struggle, the experimental browser crashed a couple of times, and the page loading is really slow, but it worked fine.

All you have to do is browse to your library's overdrive site, log in, choose the book you want to borrow, and borrow it and choose download to Kindle. It'll then take you to the Amazon download page (you really want to log into Amazon prior to going to your library's website, or you'll have to go back to it as once you log into Amazon, it's a pain to get back to the download page), and you click the download button - making sure that you are downloading the the correct device. The book then appears on the Kindle's Home Page.
You can login to Amazon on the page OverDrive sends you to. It's a little bit of a pain to hit the right button, but then again you'd have to hit the same button to do the checkout. It will send you to login and then logging in will send you on to the "Choose a device" page.

You can choose any device. The book will be in the cloud anyway, easily downloadable from any device.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #118
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can login to Amazon on the page OverDrive sends you to. It's a little bit of a pain to hit the right button, but then again you'd have to hit the same button to do the checkout. It will send you to login and then logging in will send you on to the "Choose a device" page.
I did this, from the login at the top of the page. I didn't see another login option. After I logged in it sent me to the home page.

Is there a way to keep the login information for the library? The browser saved the login info for Amazon, but when I went back to the library website I had to enter my card and password again.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #119
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I did this, from the login at the top of the page. I didn't see another login option. After I logged in it sent me to the home page.

Is there a way to keep the login information for the library? The browser saved the login info for Amazon, but when I went back to the library website I had to enter my card and password again.
There should be a checkmark to save login info to each OverDrive website, on the login page. It is saved as a browser cookie across sessions, and will autofill your barcode/password (and your branch number, if applicable). It doesn't keep you logged in, but you don't have to retype. Just click login.

If you aren't logged into Amazon (you can be signed in from a previous session and while purchases require confirmation each session, checkouts don't. I've been logged in for a LONG time) then in the checkout box, there will be an option to "Sign in and get this book" or something (my wording is almost definitely wrong ) where otherwise would be the checkout button.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-08-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #120
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
There should be a checkmark to save login info to each OverDrive website, on the login page. It is saved as a browser cookie across sessions, and will autofill your barcode/password (and your branch number, if applicable). It doesn't keep you logged in, but you don't have to retype. Just click login.
It didn't save the login info the first time, but I just checked again and there it is....

Not that I'll ever use this as a means of downloading another library book, but it's good information to have and pass along.