Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
llcooljayce
llcooljayce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Changing Kindle 3 Screensaver

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the Kindle scene and was wondering if there is a way to change the K3's screensaver. I see there was a way to do it on the K2 but does that method work on the K3?
llcooljayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
No, so far no-one has been able to jaibreak the k3.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I can't believe Amazon doesn't let us customize the screensavers without hacking it. Rediculous. All they'd have to do is make a root folder called screensavers, and we would place our images there. Then we wouldn't have to look at the dead poets society all the time.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
just wait, I'm sure there will be a way....
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
On the Kindle 1, they used to allow setting the screensaver image when viewing images with the (hidden) image viewer feature by pressing ALT-SHIFT-0. Did someone try this to be sure they didn't add it back?
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Too bad there's no "0" key on the new Kindle. I did try the combination, though, using the on-screen-keyboard 0, and it didn't do anything.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
I sent this to them two days ago. Their response was quick, if not what I wanted to hear. Perhaps if we get thousands of people to request the feature... it is certainly more likely than them providing the root password or someone brute forcing it.

Quote:
Since your screensaver said it wanted to hear my thoughts:
This is my second Kindle. The K2US was given to my wife once the K3 wifi
arrived. I love the device, but the screensavers have to be the more
horrendous images devised. They are a huge negative. It is an easy software
update to allow the user to add or delete images for screensavers. PLEASE
add this to the next firmware upgrade.

Thank you,
Their response
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing about having an option to add and remove the screen savers on your Kindle.

I've sent your comments to the Kindle team. They're always looking for ways to improve our Kindle offerings and may be able to make these features available in the future.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

If no, please click here:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Hima V
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'm fine with the Kindle screensaver pictures apart from the Emily Dickinson one. That one looks oddly creepy for some reason It would be nice to have the ability to change them though. The older Kindles could be modified to do so but the new Kindle 3 seems to have blocked all of those methods.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would prefer to see the cover of the book I am currently reading.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I think they ought to give a few options:

1. The cover what you are reading (or perhaps what you were last reading since you could be reading multiple items)

2. A specific image rather than the random image (either user uploaded or from what was already provided). Afterall, I actually find some of the images cool.

-- As a subnote, I think it would be nice if you could remove images you don't like.

3. Any image a user provides (randomly or not).

My wife and I both received Kindle 3, and without covers, yet, it is difficult for us to know which one is which since the screensaver images are random from the same set. Right now our only solution is to turn one Kindle completely off so there is no image on one. Of course, once we have a cover on each (different colors), this issue will be gone.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Once the K3 is in the hands of the Hacking Kings, we'll get new screensaver and font hacks (and more!). A lot of folks don't have the K3 yet, so give it a month or so for the "important" people to get theirs and start tweaking the hacks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Daffy4u, it appears that amazon has locked down this version further removing the exploits previously used. Unless another weakness is found, or the root password is brute forced, there is little hope.

There are those that will keep at it, hopefully we will get lucky.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthwyne View Post
Daffy4u, it appears that amazon has locked down this version further removing the exploits previously used. Unless another weakness is found, or the root password is brute forced, there is little hope.

There are those that will keep at it, hopefully we will get lucky.
Thanks karthwyne for the additional information. I have faith in the Hacking Kings. Given enough time, nearly every obstacle with previous Kindles has been overcome. DRM removal for .azw and the trickier Topaz files, screensaver and font hacks, usb networking even ePub on the Kindle (though the developer seems to have stopped updating that hack).

If it can be built, someone else can tear it apart and rebuild it.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Thanks karthwyne for the additional information. I have faith in the Hacking Kings. Given enough time, nearly every obstacle with previous Kindles has been overcome. DRM removal for .azw and the trickier Topaz files, screensaver and font hacks, usb networking even ePub on the Kindle (though the developer seems to have stopped updating that hack).

If it can be built, someone else can tear it apart and rebuild it.
The issue is that the Kindle now checks to see if it is an official Kindle update before applying it and faking the signatures is to all practical purposes impossible. It won't be quite as easy as before where you could just drop any update or patch onto the Kindle drive and then let it run.

That said, there is always the possibility of a flaw in the update process which allows a custom update to be crafted but there are no guarantees. It may end up that you need to connect to the debugging port on the side of the Kindle 3 which means needing the adapter hardware.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The issue is that the Kindle now checks to see if it is an official Kindle update before applying it and faking the signatures is to all practical purposes impossible. It won't be quite as easy as before where you could just drop any update or patch onto the Kindle drive and then let it run.
I see. A much more difficult hurdle to overcome but I still have faith.