Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #31
Ed_ODell
Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ed_ODell can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
I have read the post of both Jake_Drake and Ed_ODell.

Perhaps the "one hour only" is intended to build excitement. I find it repulsive irritating annoying pestiferous.
@ SameOldStory: Love the word you ultimately chose!

@ Jake: Hope you're extending for your own reasons! Obviously, my post set a precedent that some (perhaps many) find potentially troubling. It has elicited a number of remarks similar to one above, but also a number in favor. While I/we bear the brunt of the ire, my guess is that these are aimed to cut off future similar posts. And that may not be a bad thing. An overabundance of similar posts would have readers scrambling about, trying to decide which to choose. That wouldn't be beneficial to readers or authors.

In the end, it is your work. Do with it what you feel is best! The vast majority understand that we are not marketing professionals, and the vast majority will give us the benefit of the doubt. But you are never, ever, ever gonna please everyone, no matter what you do. "To thine own self be true!"
Ed_ODell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #32
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Hey, thanks! It looks interesting . . . are there more coming?
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
I understand. I hadn't thought of any of that when I made my offer. With that in mind, if I don't upset anyone here for changing the hours of my offer, I will allow this book to remain free all day. Que? Just trying to work with those who can't be here for one hour. So I suppose I should change or perhaps post a new thread to that effect?

Just now read your post and made the requested change to your Title.

I'm one Moderator trying to keep this Forum ["Freebies"] a sane and enjoyable place for all Members, and also try to keep people informed about Posting Guidelines for Members who may occasionally be forgetful about playing fair. Having said that, please PM me if you would like me to change something in the Title Thread.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-30-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: aggggg: Forgot "d"
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #34
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Deleted, just read other thread about same topic.

Last edited by cbell; 05-29-2010 at 09:28 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #35
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Drake View Post
You're right. I wasn't absolutely sure what time I would make the freebie when I first posted. That's what happens when I get distracted by everything around me while I'm posting. I thought I had made it clear. My apologies.

You did make it clear - "it most likely will be from 1pm-2pm (Pacific time)."

Unfortunately if anyone wanted it (for free) they would have to double check your timing and sit at their computers waiting for the right time in their local. That, I think, is what caused the turbulence.

On top of that I read a page of the book and it looked interesting. "So what time will it be here when it's about 1pm-2pm (Pacific time)? What if he gets up early! Hmmm. Can I cancel the wedding today?"

If it was a stinko book who would care?

The fact is the book has already been changed to free and I will leave it free for longer than originally intended for those who can't work around one hour. I understand time constraints. My offer was made as a marketing ploy, not to aggravate anyone. I hadn't realized there would be anyone who would be aggravated by my making it only one hour. Never occurred to me. Guess because I'm not like that. I go with the flow a lot better.

Sorry if my freebie offer offended you.
Free for 3 minutes sometime between 4:26 and 9:31 local time in Tongoy, Chile? Now that would REALLY offend me. I would have to cancel heart surgery.

I can see putting a "first" book up for free or "free Saturday only". That’s up to you. I also think that $.99 to $1.99 for a first book is good, because I feel that some will download a free book and never read it.

It's like that old computer game - lemonade stand. Price too high - no one buys. Price too low - you're out of business.

Your other books at $5 each are the right price for me. Because if the writer IS good then I want them to start making enough money to write full time. Just remember us little folks when you're a top 10 best seller.

As for "having a 4 & 5 year old trying to be quiet in the morning" . Try this.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #36
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Jake!

I just now got it, in several formats. Usually I don't care for vampire books, but the description, reviews, and first couple of paragraphs make it enticing. I have a big road trip coming up and plan on reading it in the car.

THANKS!

Bambi
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 AM   #37
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hi Jake!

I just now got it, in several formats. Usually I don't care for vampire books, but the description, reviews, and first couple of paragraphs make it enticing. I have a big road trip coming up and plan on reading it in the car.

THANKS!

Bambi
Hope you enjoy Live Forever. Let me know either way, all right? I intend on writing a sequel to it and want to know what works and what doesn't.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #38
Jake_Drake
Enthusiast
Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Jake_Drake can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Hey Ed - Can't please 'em all. How true. No, I just tend to do a lot of things on impulse and figured I had the time for it so why not make it available all day. It worked for me and seems to be drawing a lot of readers, which ultimately is what I want, eh? Another of my books, Pumpkin Jack Skull and Other Tales of Terror I had listed at Smashwords for free a long time and received almost 8,000 downloads on it before I started charging. Some people have purchased it even then, so that's a good thing.
Jake_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #39
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
After reading all the posts, I thought I needed to jump back into the fray.

Jake - I completely relate to your impulsive nature. My original post was not intended to be harsh. I was trying to be concise and offer not only my personal feelings on the matter, but also some alternatives that would be more appealing. I was also trying to reflect what I believe alot of other people may feel about 1 hr promos. I understand that you ultimately want to generate interest in your writing, and there is some trial and error in the process.

I have gone to your page and downloaded your book. Vampires are not usually my thing, but the decription looks enticing and the reviews are very good. These are the things that really peak my interest regardless of price. I also have to compliment you on the artwork for the book cover, something else that also draws me in to a book . Infact the artwork for all of your books is excellent. Do you do it yourself?

Anyways, the book is next on my reading list, once I am finished with what I am reading now. If I like it I will not only be back for more, but will recommend it to others.

Ed Odell - you said, "my guess is that these are aimed to cut off future similar posts. And that may not be a bad thing. An overabundance of similar posts would have readers scrambling about, trying to decide which to choose. That wouldn't be beneficial to readers or authors."

I think your dead on the money with that comment. Such insight has caused me to have a look at your work as well.

So now both of you have mange to pull off a promotion here, maybe your actually working in cahoots and it was all some mad devious plan to generate interest through controversy? Regardless, it seems to have worked. LOL
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
It was not free 20 minutes ago.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #41
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Sorry astra, but the thread was started on the 27th. The original headline was that the book was free for one hour (on Saturday). Then it was changed. I think that it should have been changed to "Free Saturday Only". Such is life.

The book does look interesting. It seems to be about a socially responsible vampire. I only read 4 or 5 pages so could be wrong.

Strangely enough all his other books (7) have 5 star ratings (Well. One is only 4.8). And it looks at first glance that it’s the same people reviewing them. But I suspect that it’s just because there are so few reviews. He needs more reviewers.

Having noted that, I must say that "Pumpkin Jack Skull and Other Tales of Terror" is Exceptional. Read the first short story in the collection (Free online) and see if you can disagree!

Jacob Drake may not be my cup of tea, as they say, but "Pumpkin Jack Skull" and "Live Forever" are exceptions.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 AM   #42
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
OK, so I even missed the 24-hours free book offer. No time to boo-hoo, nor to berate the author for a generous offer during a time for which I decided I had other more important things to do.
Meanwhile, I was made aware of his existence, and of his books. I finally registered SmashWords, and I downloaded a free sample of "Live Forever." I'm sure it's no "Ducks of Doom," but neither is anything Shakespeare wrote.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:03 AM   #43
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
In the time I've been an MR member, I've only ever seen two books promoted as free for 1 hour only

Is this something new, or maybe I've just not seen it before?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #44
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Thumbs up

Jake,

I would have left a review over at smashwords, but I cannot because I have not purchased it.

Overall, I really liked the read. I thought it would take me a bit longer to read the book, but it kept me very interested and I finished it in about 3 days.

The book flowed nicely through the story line and did not feel like there were any gaps, like some books that I have read recently had.

I only noticed about four or so grammatical errors, but I forgot to bookmark the pages to refer to them in this reply (I need to do that in the future, so I can give a better review), but it did not make reading less interesting.

I look forward to the sequel when it comes out.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Title now corrected.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote