Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #91
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
Another brilliant corporate idea . . . just keep giving me reasons to just find a pirated copy. It sucks enough to pay for the ebook and then make sure it will actually work on your preferred device, but to delay the release will just drive people to piracy. Of course you have a choice whether to steal a book or not, but Under The Dome is on the net in a pirated version. How many of those people would have just paid for the ebook if it was available?

I find it hard to have any sympathy for the publishers when they continue to create their own worst nightmare (music, movies, and now books). My only reason for not just jumping on the piracy bandwagon is that I believe the author should be compensated for their work.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #92
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well on a practical level I really don't care that much and I keep telling myself that. There are very few books published these days that I feel hit the "line up at midnight 'cause I can't wait to read this!!!" level of public interest.

On an emotional level, I'm starting to weary of being treated by the Publishing Industry that I'm unworthy of purchasing their product because I wish to read digitally instead of on paper surrounded by cardboard held together by glue.

It's like I'm like the little orphan girl shuffling up to the front of the room and squeaking out "Please sir, may I have a book?" in a scared and trembly little voice.

In today's business climate, can any business treat their customers in such a manner and hope to survive ... much less flourish?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #93
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I know, I know, free market and what the traffic will bear and all that rot, which is true and I don't disagree, but when you are offering essentially the same product in different form the price generally reflects the cost of doing business and the profit desired. When they are so out of line and at least perceptually different then it is clear to the consumer that the price is out of line. Sort of like have Coke in a can cost $5.00 and Coke in your own cup cost $5.00 shouldn't the raw Coke cost less?
It seems like it should, yes, but is that just because we want it to? I have a hard time being objective on it. We do pay more for that raw Coke when there's some other factor involved, such as a restricted market (concession stands) or convenience (convenience stores). We grumble about it, but we generally pay it. Of course, some folks just sneak their own snacks into movie theaters!
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #94
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
IS this the beginning of the end for the paperback?

Is the beginning of the end for the paperback - at least in the developed nations with the US leading the way? And are they planning to take paperback prices for the e-books without incurring the costs of printing?

Is (uuuuhhh) maybe a conspriacy afoot? Or is this going to be a normal development?

Should we hang on to our paperback libraries because in five years we are going get more money when selling our used paperbacks?

Another item:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Really funny that with the massive changes in technology and the world economy that the publishing industry thinks that IT should remain exactly the same. If the major publishers of today don't "adjust" to the new realities they will go the way of the dodo bird... Just ask your local newspaper for some insight into how the world is changing...
RA
The only difference between the publishing industry on one side and the movie and music recording industries is that publishers (a) never as blatantly overcharged as the latter and (b) their lobbyists suck in comparison to the MPAA and RIAA thugs.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #95
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well on a practical level I really don't care that much and I keep telling myself that. There are very few books published these days that I feel hit the "line up at midnight 'cause I can't wait to read this!!!" level of public interest.

On an emotional level, I'm starting to weary of being treated by the Publishing Industry that I'm unworthy of purchasing their product because I wish to read digitally instead of on paper surrounded by cardboard held together by glue.

It's like I'm like the little orphan girl shuffling up to the front of the room and squeaking out "Please sir, may I have a book?" in a scared and trembly little voice.

In today's business climate, can any business treat their customers in such a manner and hope to survive ... much less flourish?
Short answer: no.

Long answer: they obviously think they can. But, as with the irrelevant music and movie industries, every single day they delay practical, non-offensive selling policies, is another day where people make connections on the networks and share for free. Every day they keep DRM, is another day where DRM is stripped. Every day they charge three and four times the real worth of a book, is another day when the digital price reaches zero on the sharing networks.

In a battle between commerce and knowledge, knowledge always wins.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #96
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I won't even mention the cleverness of monthly bundles, and the free library, and snippetting and... oops.
You missed the really, really ironic bit. Baen print runs gang on the Simon & Schuster presses.

I'll also stick my hand up as someone who had bought eARCs.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #97
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But that is just silly. The price should be based on the cost of doing business which has got to be less for digital than for hardback or paperback.
But that is the cost of doing business. A hardback book costs what, a dollar to print and bind in quantity? The costs of physical distribution, stock management and retail largely come out of the 50%+ that goes to the distribution chain, and sure, retailers should feel free to discount that as much as they can to win business. Publishers need to make around $12.50 on a new book to recoup the costs they put into production (including the author's advance) as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Alternatively, these publishers could look at a successful existing solution over at Webscriptions and Baen.
I absolutely agree that Baen is a shining star in the world of publishing and Jim Baen was both bold and visionary. I'm certain that other genre publishers would do well to learn from his approach to ebooks. OTOH, he understood his market very well and took advantage of the particular nature of the of the genre fiction niche, but I'm just not sure how well it would function for general works. For example, political memoirs don't really work the same as science-fiction: you can't serialise them into an endless succession and the sort of person who snapped up An Inconvenient Truth is unlikely to want to buy Going Rouge, whereas Webscriptions works because if you like one book from them it's a reasonable bet that you'll like the others.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #98
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
You missed the really, really ironic bit. Baen print runs gang on the Simon & Schuster presses.

I'll also stick my hand up as someone who had bought eARCs.
OTOH Baen also recently shut down Baen's Universe (magazine) in part because they could not get their distributor (Is it S&S? I Thought it was another of the big names...but I digress). They could not get their distributor to agree to decent terms. I think the distributor was demanding the same terms for the electronic mag as that made for Baen books.

Eric Flint did an article on it...if I remember correctly, BU wanted to expand distribution so they could reach more markets, but the distributor they had an agreement with said, "No, NO, NO." BU was always ebook or cd only--no print. Flint didn't say what Baen wanted to try only that with the current terms, it wouldn't work. So the magazine is shutting down early next year. The article mentioned they'd like to bring it back someday--with a different distribution plan and other things changed. (Pls note that the distribution issue was only ONE part of the reason they shut down and was not the whole article!)
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #99
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Baen is the best and I would love it if the rest of the publishing industry were like them.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #100
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I love how big business always thinks anti-consumer practices is the way to go.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #101
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Baen is the best and I would love it if the rest of the publishing industry were like them.

I don't even like what they put out (too military for me, least it seems that way) but it's no surprise why everyone likes Baen. They treat their customers with some respect. No DRM. Good prices. Bundles. Freebies. What's not to like? What we need next is for writers to band together, cut out the mainstream publishers, agents and take the same approach, or partner with webscriptions themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of mystery writers who could gather themselves together and form their own Baen-like company. Or horror writers. Or any of the genre niches.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #102
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Well, it won't happen in the UK, even if only the majors did it. The memory of the Net Book Agreement is too fresh, and it'd definitely get called as a cartel.
Three publishers now on board, how many does it take to call it a cartel?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #103
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
But that is the cost of doing business. A hardback book costs what, a dollar to print and bind in quantity? The costs of physical distribution, stock management and retail largely come out of the 50%+ that goes to the distribution chain, and sure, retailers should feel free to discount that as much as they can to win business. Publishers need to make around $12.50 on a new book to recoup the costs they put into production (including the author's advance) as quickly as possible.

No, no. Separate them The cost of the Ebook and the cost of the pbook. Not lumped together.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #104
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
You know, I was all set to buy Stephen King's newest. Initial buzz was that it was like the old, great King novels. And then the ebook release was delayed, and I started hearing about how it wasn't so great. So I decided not to get it. Lost sale.

How many books is this going to happen to before publishers get that a sale is still a sale, whether it's hardback, ebook or paperback?
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Three publishers now on board, how many does it take to call it a cartel?

I'll call it now!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote