Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle Touch: a ghost story

I was having 'ghosting' problems with the first KT I got, and requested a replacement. At first, the replacement seemed about the same in terms of ghosting, and I spent a couple of hours loading it up and was preparing to send the first one back, and feeling happy about everything.

But on further review, in better light, the original KT has noticeably better contrast, while the ghosting seems just a little worse (maybe because of the greater contrast), and on both the ghosting is worse than my K3, where I barely notice it. Meanwhile, my Nook Touch has almost no ghosting. I'm surprised that there could be so much variation, with the same exact screen and software.

To clarify, I'm talking about ghosting in general, not just when reading but when waking/sleeping, home screens, browser, kindle store. In reading mode at least, you can set the 'refresh every page option' but I have not bothered to do that.

At any rate, it looks like I'll be returning the replacement instead of the one I originally got (meaning: a couple of hours of loading again). Then I'll have to decide if I want to roll the dice again...and perhaps in the end, it is up to amazon to deliver a software fix, so waiting may be the best strategy instead of trying additional exchanges.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
I don't own a kindle touch. But after what I have read what most users are saying the ghosting will be equal to the K3 if you turn on 'refresh every page'.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
I don't own a kindle touch. But after what I have read what most users are saying the ghosting will be equal to the K3 if you turn on 'refresh every page'.
Actually in reading mode it is not that bad, because ghosting shows up in white space and when moving from page to page, lines of text generally line up on top of each other and so that part of the screen redraws okay. It's more when switching from one mode to another (from home to reading to browser to store to screensaver etc.) that it becomes noticeable.

So far I prefer the default 'every six pages' refresh and the ghosting in reading mode does not bother me enough to change this. And it wouldn't deal with the other screens at all.

A workaround is to bring up the menu and dismiss it, forcing screen refresh. But I hope there's an update that addresses this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
I had to do this with my K4. I had ghosting issues. It's a downside to every 6 page refresh feature. It's just how eInk works sometimes. Also the colder the Kindle is the more ghosting you will see.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote