Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Homebrew Wish List

As per this post here I'm gonna go ahead and start thread where we can all post our wants and desires for the Sony Reader that Sony probably (or definately) will not do.

There's also the Wiki page that has quite a few things, but that includes features we'd like/expect to see soon in the Sony software or things that have been already homebrewed. This thread is for what you'd like to see developed by our community here or to post a link to your own developments along these lines.

To start us off I'm gonna post a couple of features that I'd like to see (but am currently too unskilled to create).

- Sudoku (I'm hooked, what can I say)

I had others in mind when I started this thread but thus are the fruits of posting from work after a long day playing catch up and get ahead so you can take the next day off to get your vehicle fixed.

Who's next?
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There already is a Sudoku generator out there but what good is it? On the Sony it isn't good. We have no way to input the numbers. On the iLiad it works because you can hand draw in the numbers. So unless we have a way to put in the anwers it's worthles son the Sony. Sorry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I'd like on the Sony is Mobipocket support so we can steal the thunder from Palm.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We have no way to input the numbers.
If the developer were clever enough to arrange it, you could navigate the squares with the jogstick and enter the numbers with the number buttons.

For my own suggestion, how about a little app to flip the screen upside down?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do have a few more suggestions...

Kerning
Hyphenation
PROPER Italics
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
How about basic file management on the reader -- the ability to delete files and to move them between main memory and cards.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

timestamps on bookmarks
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It already does timestamps on bookmarks -- unless I don't understand what you're suggesting, jakeluck.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Next to the batterymeter the remaining number of pageturns before the battery goes out, and while we're at it, total pageturns made since the battery got recharged

Assigning functions to buttons ( easy change the joystick to page forward/back mode)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Ability to correct typos
Ability to select words as boomarks.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
melechmet
melechmet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
OK my 1st list:

Port over a comics/manga reader.

Offline HTML browser/reader, any of these (the smallest I guess)

Online HTML Browser like this

Now we go into the stratosphere any one of the following:

Linux driver for a Bluetooth via USB, and/or USB WIFI and/or USB CDMA modem...

I know not for this device, but after that wireless card hack on the Iliad I was hopping for something comparable eventually
melechmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My biggie is collections that include titles that are on the card.

A couple others
-author view (i.e. a list of authors and when you select an author, it lists the books by that author)

-categories (i.e. science, history, sf, ...)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I want a remote page turner even if it is always a forward page turn.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Next to the batterymeter the remaining number of pageturns before the battery goes out, and while we're at it, total pageturns made since the battery got recharged
I liked the idea of the total page count since the battery was recharged so I made that. The remaining pageturns before the battery runs out is very difficult to do.

Here is the file to get the total pages counter. To reset the counter go to the "about" screen and press "ENTER". Use the universal flasher made by Igor to install. I tested it and it works good but of course all usage is on your own risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	3999  
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (38.5 KB, 680 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 06-16-2007 at 11:53 AM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My biggie is collections that include titles that are on the card.

A couple others
-author view (i.e. a list of authors and when you select an author, it lists the books by that author)

-categories (i.e. science, history, sf, ...)
Those sound great! I'd also like to ask (yet again) for a mode (or application?) in which I get a list of titles (or authors or categories, or whatever we're listing by) that is divided up into 10ths so I can drill down with the 0-9 buttons. Three levels of drill-down should get me to any of 1000 books (or authors, or categories, or...). This would be a real boon to supporting large libraries.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote