Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #46
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't think it has to do with the AES protection. I used Acrobat XI to generate a PDF openable with Acrobat 3 or higher and it worked. Used the same input file and set the output for Acrobat Level 8/PDF 1.7 (Acrobat X or higher) and it rebooted my Kobo. The stack error log looked the same as the one from opening the original Canon manual.
That's a good movement in order to narrow the source problem. Could you post a simple level 8 PDF without any kind of protection so we all can test?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #47
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't think it has to do with the AES protection. I used Acrobat XI to generate a PDF openable with Acrobat 3 or higher and it worked. Used the same input file and set the output for Acrobat Level 8/PDF 1.7 (Acrobat X or higher) and it rebooted my Kobo. The stack error log looked the same as the one from opening the original Canon manual.
Well, I cannot replicate that behaviour.

In my H2O the crashing only happens with AES-256bit.

I explain myself. I've downloaded Acrobat XI (trial period) just to test this issue. I'm no Acrobat/PDF expert so maybe I've done something wrong. Because of that I'm going to post all the steps I've made and I'm also uploading very simple test pdfs.
  1. I've started with a very simple pdf file from MS Word. This file is A very simple PDF - 1.6.pdf. 1.6 refers to the pdf version which you can change inside Acrobat. I've gone to Save As>>Optimized pdf file type>>Configuration and then I've changed the very first setting: Compatibility with Acrobat 7.x means pdf version 1.6, 8.x means 1.7, 9.x means 1.7 Extension Layer 3, 10.x means 1.7 Extension Layer 8.
    (I also upload a screenshot: Adobe Acrobat XI - Compatibility setting (save as... optimized pdf).jpg. It's in Spanish but I suppose you can easily follow it. Please forgive me my "approximate" translations into English so maybe it's not actually Save As... optimized pdf but Save As.. Pdf advanced or anything similar).
  2. Then I've saved it with progressive increased versions. I upload the latest possible one: A very simple PDF - 1.7 Extension Level 8.pdf. This file DOESN'T CRASH MY H2O. So I'm not experiencing what DNSB says.
  3. Then I've gone to the file Properties>>Security Tab>>Security system: By password >> Change Configuration.
    A new dialogue appears. I upload a new screenshot with the used settings (Adobe Acrobat XI - Permission setting.jpg). In this new screen you can set the Password length in an independent and additional compatibility drop box. "Adobe 7.x and later" means AES 128 bit and "Adobe X and later" means AES 256 bit.
  4. So I've saved two new files with 128 and 256bit protection (you can imagine their names ). Within these new files ONLY THE 256bit ONE CRASHES MY H2O. The 128bit runs fine.
  5. OTOH, that 256bit file also prevents Calibre from extracting the cover from it. Calibre is perfectly capable of extracting that cover from any of the other flavours of the pdf.

Could anyone of you confirm these tests, please? I mean, you should suffer a crash and reboot ONLY with the 256bit protected pdf. The rest of them should run fine.

If this issue is confirmed then it really seems that either Kobo or RMSDK has forgotten to implement the very last flavour of possible pdf...
Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #48
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Ooops!!! An interesting update with FW 3.12.

The AES 256bit pdf doesn't cause a crash any more. But you get a wrong message:

Quote:
Oops! This document couldn't be opened

This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again. www.kobo.com/help

The speed issue with ottdmk's pdf remains unchanged.

And lastly: could any administrator update the thread title to 3.12, please?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
And lastly: could any administrator update the thread title to 3.12, please?
As this was first reported with 3.5.0, maybe it would be better to be "3.5.0-3.12.0".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #50
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Ok, I found a good example PDF!

With Firmware 3.2: Open PDF: 3.4 seconds. Turn Page (Page 1->Page 2): 3.56 seconds.
With Firmware 3.12: Open PDF: 21.72 seconds. Turn Page : 16.4 seconds.

arspr, can you confirm?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #51
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Ok, I found a good example PDF!

With Firmware 3.2: Open PDF: 3.4 seconds. Turn Page (Page 1->Page 2): 3.56 seconds.
With Firmware 3.12: Open PDF: 21.72 seconds. Turn Page : 16.4 seconds.

arspr, can you confirm?
Fully confirmed. With muy H2O in 3.12 I exactly get your times on both opening and first page turn. More over I've retested several times and every time I get the same result.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #52
arspr
Dead account. Bye

I've just retested both issues (AES 256bit pdfs and "complex" pdf management times) in 3.13.1 and, as sadly expected, they remain unchanged from 3.12.0
Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #53
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Both issues remain unchanged in 3.15.0
Old 04-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #54
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Yeah, you beat me to it. Tried out 3.15 this morning on my new H2O. Pity. Oh well, at least pinch to zoom is kinda neat...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #55
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Do not upgrade to 3.17

The new sickel feature is going to kill you.

As explained in the 3.17 discussion thread things are just getting worse with each firmware iteration.

--------------------------------------------------------------

OTOH, could any administrator change the name of the thread? This issue was detected in 3.11 but it is fully alive and it isn't restricted to HD. In fact I'm on H2O right now.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:10 AM   #56
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can I ask what devices & configurations this sickel reboot issue with upgrade affects? I've read all the threads and am still a bit confused.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #57
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can I ask what devices & configurations this sickel reboot issue with upgrade affects? I've read all the threads and am still a bit confused.
It seems to affect ALL devices from 3.16.10 onwards... It just reboots the device when something takes "too much" time. The problem is that a lot of common normal operations take "too much" time because, well, Kobo is Kobo. So therefore they are making their own devices unusable. As example if you use heavy scanned PDFs...

And apart from this NEW issue directly derived from sickle, this thread covers two OLD issues which remain alive... (well, I haven't tested the AES 256bit yet). If and when I patch my 3.17 installation in order to disable sickle (the reboot feature), I'll retest them both.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It seems to affect ALL devices from 3.16.10 onwards... It just reboots the device when something takes "too much" time. The problem is that a lot of common normal operations take "too much" time because, well, Kobo is Kobo. So therefore they are making their own devices unusable. As example if you use heavy scanned PDFs...
Thanks. Was 3.16 rolled out to any devices other than the Touch and Glo HD? Which device is affected for you?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #59
arspr
Dead account. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Thanks. Was 3.16 rolled out to any devices other than the Touch and Glo HD? Which device is affected for you?
No I haven't tested 3.16.10 as I have an H20. I've just manually upgraded from 3.15 to 3.17.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #60
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No I haven't tested 3.16.10 as I have an H20. I've just manually upgraded from 3.15 to 3.17.
Does it cause problems on a device with no user installed hacks/tweaks/sideloaded firmware, and without giant-image PDFs?