Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #676
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Not only have I already submitted the OverDrive survey (they are going to love reading my comments) but I also voiced my dissatisfaction via telephone to OverDrive directly. Covering all bases.

Who is the idiot responsible for the ridiculously large and graphic-intensive thumbnails that have slowed the search/browse to a crawl? And did anyone actually test this on a smartphone? And that is just for openers.

BTW, the OverDrive Search site is bogged down, too.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #677
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Yes, the search page sucks big time. I always use their classic search page, which is a bit better and lets me see if a book is at all available in any of my libraries vs. forcing me to only look up one library at the time.

How did they react over the phone? Did you feel like they were listening?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #678
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
As I said in my second large edit, "EDIT AGAIN: Okay, found the culprit - gotta turn off the download immediately option so that it only adds the book to your library. Then you download it from the bookshelf (and you'll get a progress bar and everything)."
That would not solve my problem. I am adding the book from my Win 8 tablet, otherwise Overdrive will just hide all WMAs from me, then it, as well as my Nexus 4 and iPod Touch to download the titles straight from my bookshelf. Stilll freezes up all the time.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #679
xendula
eBookworm

An additional suggestion for Mike@Overdrive

I wish Overdrive allowed you set up different check-out periods for different file types (epub, open epub, kindle, wma, mp3), if early returns for all media types cannot be added.

Being on a waiting list for a WMA takes so much longer than being on one for MP3s, exactly because WMAs cannot be returned early.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #680
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

I wish Overdrive allowed you set up different check-out periods for different file types (epub, open epub, kindle, wma, mp3), if early returns for all media types cannot be added.

Being on a waiting list for a WMA takes so much longer than being on one for MP3s, exactly because WMAs cannot be returned early.
And how about a warning for items that cannot be returned early?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #681
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
And how about a warning for items that cannot be returned early?
Yes, absolutely! That, too.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #682
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:

In my library system I can choose defaults (7 day, 14 day, or 21 day) individually for each of the following:
Adobe EPUB eBook
Adobe PDF eBook
Open EPUB eBook
Open PDF eBook
OverDrive MP3 Audiobook
OverDrive WMA Audiobook

Did that go away with the new overdrive redesign? (my library is still on the old one)

Last edited by sqdancer; 03-19-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: creative spelling
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #683
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I can set a different lending period (7, 14, or 21 days) for ebooks and audiobooks, but it isn't broken down beyond that.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #684
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, I wonder if the deeper breakdown is some sort of option that each library can choose (like setting the number of check-outs and holds allowed).
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #685
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
In my library system I can choose defaults (7 day, 14 day, or 21 day) individually for each of the following:
Adobe EPUB eBook
Adobe PDF eBook
Open EPUB eBook
Open PDF eBook
OverDrive MP3 Audiobook
OverDrive WMA Audiobook

Did that go away with the new overdrive redesign? (my library is still on the old one)
Yes, they did away with that, because, why keep a useful feature if you can get rid of it, right?!

Now, they grouped together audiobooks, ebooks, music (I never get any music, so not sure what different formats there are). You can still select 7,14,21 days, and you can still not return WMAs and Open ePubs.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #686
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Could be. I only borrow EPUBs and MP3s, so the two settings do the job for me anyway. I checked the two libraries I belong to and the second one has an additional setting for Disney online ebooks.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #687
sqdancer
Guru

Quote:
Yes, they did away with that, because, why keep a useful feature if you can get rid of it, right?!

Now, they grouped together audiobooks, ebooks, music (I never get any music, so not sure what different formats there are). You can still select 7,14,21 days, and you can still not return WMAs and Open ePubs.

That figures. I have a nasty feeling I'm not going to be using Overdrive too much after we change over (alas the "coming soon" banner is now on our library's site). The new Overdrive design sounds just as user unfriendly as the Freading site, and I gave up on that after a few months.

Oh well, I still like paper books and we have pretty good library consortium.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #688
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
^ Yes, the search page sucks big time. I always use their classic search page, which is a bit better and lets me see if a book is at all available in any of my libraries vs. forcing me to only look up one library at the time.

How did they react over the phone? Did you feel like they were listening?
Actually, a very nice lady had the misfortune of taking my call for a good fifteen minutes. I apologized that I was unable to speak directly with the devs and asked if she would be kind enough to forward my comments. She thanked me and said OD does indeed listen to its patrons. (?) As a matter of fact, she told me, as an example, the reason the Cart feature was removed was due to people complaining that their titles disappeared when they finally got around to the checkout hours later -- even though CLEARLY labeled that carts would expire in 30 or 60 minutes, depending on the library. Amazing that this a challenge to some.

She encouraged users to send comments/complaints via the links on the library site -- which can be inconvenient when one frequents more than one library!

BTW, I've always used the classic version of OD's search engine too -- it's the one that has slowed to a crawl. (regardless of my location or time of day/night). I complained about this too.

Last edited by Skydog; 03-20-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #689
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Actually, a very nice lady had the misfortune of taking my call for a good fifteen minutes. I apologized that I was unable to speak directly with the devs and asked if she would be kind enough to forward my comments. She thanked me and said OD does indeed listen to its patrons. (?) As a matter of fact, she told me, as an example, the reason the Cart feature was removed was due to people complaining that their titles disappeared when they finally got around to the checkout hours later -- even though CLEARLY labeled that carts would expire in 30 or 60 minutes, depending on the library. Amazing that this a challenge to some.
I for one like they got rid of the cart. Now you can keep a book without downloading it and return it without penalty. So if I borrow a book but later find something else I can click return and immediately get my book slot back. It's much better than a cart. The only advantage of the cart was I could keep more than the checkout limit and decide at checkout which ones to put back but I like the new way better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #690
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm hating the new layout. 4 out of the 5 libraries I use most have now converted to it. Form over function is always a bad idea.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote