Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Penguin sues authors to get advances back after non-delivery of manuscript

There is an article on The Smoking Gun (linked by the DrudgeReport) stating that Penguin is suing some of its authors who received big advances but haven't followed through on writing the books they were contracted to write.

I wonder if the authors are truly despicable individuals who took the money and didn't write the books, or if there is more to it. Could it be that the authors have written manuscripts and submitted them to Penguin only to have Penguin reject the manuscripts? Maybe Penguin just doesn't want to go through with some of these projects? I have no idea, but it would be nice to hear the other side.

Last edited by Daithi; 09-25-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: grammar blowed
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It is most likely not in an authors best interest to not create a book after being paid for it, but it is certainly possible that a book had been delivered. Perhaps it was 300 pages of meaningless garbage for which the author was advanced 10,000 dollars, it happens all the time i.e most bestsellers.

At any rate, a book is a book.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
There is an article on The Smoking Gun (linked by the DrudgeReport) stating that Penguin is suing some of its authors who received big advances but haven't followed through on writing the books they were contracted to write.

I wonder if the authors are truly despicable individuals who took the money and didn't write the books, or if there is more to it. Could it be that the authors have written manuscripts and submitted them to Penguin only to have Penguin reject the manuscripts? Maybe Penguin just doesn't want to go through with some of these projects? I have no idea, but it would be nice to hear the other side.

The article specifically says that the authors in question did not deliver the manuscripts; it does not say that Penguin got the manuscripts and rejected them for some reason.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have no experience but I always imagined that advances were paid in increments, based on the author providing material, outlines, schedules, chapters, re-writes etc.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have no experience but I always imagined that advances were paid in increments, based on the author providing material, outlines, schedules, chapters, re-writes etc.
I would have thought so too. Kind of like building a house. You pay the builder in installments at certain points. Say at thirds.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
millicent
millicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, iPod and iRiver Story
I can only speak for the UK. Here the standard contract will give an author 25 per cent of the agreed advance against royalties on contract signature, 25 per cent on delivery of a manuscript, 25 per cent on hardback publication and 25 per cent on paperback publication.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The article specifically says that the authors in question did not deliver the manuscripts; it does not say that Penguin got the manuscripts and rejected them for some reason.
Take it down a notch there catlady. My point was that we're just hearing one side of the story.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have just edited the thread title. I thought this was astonishing news, of a publisher trying to claw back an over-generous advance after a book was published, which would be a major story.

A publishing wanting to get back the money it had paid for a book when no book appears is business as usual.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely. If you pay for a product (the manuscript) and don't receive the goods you've paid for, then naturally you're entitled to get your money back.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Perhaps they should think more carefully before they give advances in the first place.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
tango7
fully engaged
tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tango7 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Perhaps they should think more carefully before they give advances in the first place.
perhaps penguin mistake
oversight failed!
similar rogue trader at bank
first fire employee
second attempt recovery of money
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
It's a lawsuit, so we will eventually hear the other side.

But I think it's too speculative to immediately suggest that Penguin is lying in their court filings since there are severe penalties for doing so.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If no book was provided, fair enough. Wonder how the contract terms would deal with non acceptance of a manuscript though.

Clearly a publisher would want to be able to reject a manuscript of pure gibberish should an author try to pull a fast one and in that case, I'd hope they'd get the advance back too, but I'm not sure how they could work that into the terms without it giving them a get out of publishing free card which would be unfair to genuine authors.

e.g what if the work is just utter garbage but the author has actually done the work and produced. Or, the work is decent but the publisher decides it's not good enough to publish and not worth funding a rewrite (assuming author is unwilling to rewrite for free). Would the publisher just write off the first instalment and swear never to work with that author again? Or is it the norm for contract terms to allow claw back of all advances if the publisher doesn't accept the submission (which would seem highly unfair to me)

Last edited by JoeD; 09-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Apparently it doesn't happen that often, because if the publisher paid a sizable advance, they would get a script doctor in to get the manuscript in a publishable condition. Here was one high-profile case where it did happen: Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus, authors of the Nanny Diaries, had a contract and advance with Random House and when they received the manuscript, Random House said no.

http://observer.com/2004/02/why-naug...-random-house/

I don't know what happened to any part of the advance that was paid out, but I never heard of a lawsuit, so I'm guessing they wrote it off. These two authors did go on to publish more books, but not with Random House.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also don't forget that a big advance happens for two reasons: 1. the publisher has already seen the manuscript and is hot for it, or 2. the author is a well-known name.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote