Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
edmnddntes
edmnddntes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
ePub TOC to mobi TOC

Hello everyone,

I've created a ePub ebook using Sigil, and have used the TOC generator to make a TOC. Unfortunately, when I try to convert the ePub to .mobi using Calibre, the TO doesnt show up in the menu? How can I make it appear in the .mobi file?
edmnddntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
There are two different types of TOC.

The one most commonly referred to with reference to EPUB files, and the one created by Sigil, is a metadata TOC, coded in an XML file with file extension .ncx (NCX = "Navigation Control XML file"). Most EPUB viewers use that file to display an actual table of contents to the user. With MOBI files, though, the Kindle uses the NCX file simply to provide next/previous navigation using the 5-way controller (e.g. to jump to next or previous chapter). It doesn't use it to display a table of contents to the user.

In order to display a table of contents to the user in a Kindle ebook, a table of contents must also be included in the (X)HTML content of the book, and in order to enable the Kindle to include it in its "Go To..." menu, there has to be a Guide entry (type="toc") in the OPF file (another XML file that forms part of an EPUB or MOBI ebook) pointing to the HTML table of contents.

If you need help or pointers on how to do this, just shout.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
edmnddntes
edmnddntes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes please I got the content.opf file open, so what should I do next?
edmnddntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm not a Kindle user, but I don't think you need to do any manual edits. If your EPUB has a working TOC then when you convert EPUB to MOBI you should get a TOC inside the MOBI at the end of the book. Make sure that on the Convert - Mobi Output page the 'Do not add Table of Contents to book' box is UNCHECKED.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
As far as I know, Calibre doesn't create that HTML TOC from the metadata (NCX) TOC. It will only create an HTML TOC if it can identify the chapter/section headings - ideally, these should be coded using H1 or H2 (if they are coded differently, you might have to amend the regex used to identify chapter headings). Calibre will then pick them up and create a TOC based on those headings when converting to MOBI. I double-checked, and Calibre will also add the necessary Guide item in the OPF file to enable the Kindle to provide a link to that HTML TOC in its "Go To..." menu.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
my test, before doing epub to mobi, is to open the epub with calibre viewer, if the viewer can find a toc, then so will kindle, after conversion. if the epub view test fails then it's back to sigil for some patching up, and/or do an epub to epub wiht the new hauristics stuff enabled.

sometimes it is necessary to take the bold step of deleting what appears to be the toc if it appears in an xhtml in sigil, & let the programs build a tag based replacement
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote