Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
hangs and is slow at high book counts

Hi,

I've been loading up calibre while waiting for cybook opus. The thing is, that calibre becomes very prone to hanging and is generally extremely slow at book counts of 3000+. Should I start multiple calibre instances/directories and split up the task? Or is there something I can disable?

Thanks
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I know people that use calibre with 20k + books. What precisely becomes slow/hangs?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
klikklak
Connoisseur

Adding books. I would get a 100% screen after adding recursively an directory. I switched to calibredb to add for now. I don't think it's lack of processor power as this is a modest 2.5ghz dual core.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adding should receive some love for the next release, try that and let me know.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
klikklak
Connoisseur

OK, I'll take a look on how to install from svn or whatever it's using.
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
klikklak
Connoisseur

Nah, I couldn't find a way to check out the svn (can't find the address). I'll take your word for it and wait for next release.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

bzr co lp:calibre
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
klikklak
Connoisseur

I didn't notice any added speed in the bazaar version. Calibredb does it's job nicely though so I'm using that.

But with 3k-10k books I always get the same problem, the gui interface is painfully slow and takes half an hour or so to start up. I'm trying turning off scheduled downloads and reimporting the books to a new db to see if that makes a difference in speed.

EDIT: this is on debian sid 64bit.

Last edited by klikklak; 08-10-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I only committed the improvements to adding late last night, so update your checkout.