Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
New BeBook Neo firmware is Spifftastic!

I have not been actively looking at the BeBook website lately, so when I noticed that they had released new firmware for the Neo a little while back I was shocked as well as hopeful for some nifty fixes...WOW, was I shocked!

This new firmware totally blew me away! It makes the Neo into the device that I had hoped it would be when I first got it. The TTS feature is great, the seperate dictionary function is something that I never thought I would see, the new icons are great, etc.

It makes me feel like I have a brand new device. I just can't say enough good things about this new firmware.

Just thought I would share.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is this the "July 2010" firmware download that you're referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, I know that it's been out for a while now, but as I said, I just recently downloaded it.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wasn't criticizing you. I haven't updated my Neo either and I just wanted to make sure that this was the latest firmware before I did so .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
jabberwock_11
Addict

It seems like this firmware sort of flew under the radar...no one really mentioned it here and there was no big buzz at bebook, so I didn't even realize it was out until recently. That seems odd to me considering how much of a step forward it was.
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 / OnePlus 5
Could you explain what new functionalities or improvements it conveys ?
I installed it but I am not sure I could find something new when using my Bebook Neo...
glin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
jabberwock_11
Addict

Beyond the new and spiffy icons this new firmware makes the dictionary available as a separate function(previously it was only available while viewing a book), adds basic .doc support, adds a text to speech function, adds some system languages, and improves on several functions (the web browser is faster, touchscreen more responsive, etc.).
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
Beyond the new and spiffy icons this new firmware makes the dictionary available as a separate function(previously it was only available while viewing a book), adds basic .doc support,
Good news.
But, as for dictionaries, the main problem remains : when reading the definition of a word while reading a book, what to do if you want to get the dictionary explanation for a word included within the explanatin of a word ? It is impossible... and when reading in a language which is not your native language that is really annoying...
Quote:
adds a text to speech function,
Does'n work with me.
Quote:
adds some system languages
What do you mean exactly, are you speaking of a programming language or do you mean some natural language was added to the system (in this case : not mine, unfortunately) ?
Quote:
and improves on several functions (the web browser is faster, touchscreen more responsive, etc.).
Maybe. But the fact is that to select a word - to annotate it or to find its dictionary explanation - is still a crux.

Last edited by glin; 10-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glin View Post
Could you explain what new functionalities or improvements it conveys ?
I installed it but I am not sure I could find something new when using my Bebook Neo...
Firmware version 1.4 (9.07.2010):
* Added basic .doc support
* Optimized .pdf support
* Updated user interface
* Improved web browsing speed
* Added persistent cookies in browser
* Fixed some online keyboard issues while browsing
* Improved web security options (delete sessions/cookies)
* Improved bookmarking functionality in browser
* Extended WiFi setup and connection options
* Fixed some online .epub download problems
* Improved Mac connectivity
* Added text-to-speech functionality (English only)
* Added system languages
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
glin
Groupie

This is too much of an "official" and quite "abstract" listing.
I mean, concretely, what differences did you experience in real life ?
As I said above, text>to speech for instance, don't sem to work on my Bebook with this new firmware.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #11
agriff
agriff began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
help!

i just got an onyx boox and am having some pretty big troubles with TTS and annotations, i think i read somewhere that maybe they haven't gotten TTS for english yet? in any case i am really interested in installiing the beebook neo software as they are essentially the same ereader. does anyone know how to go about installing the beekbook neo firmware on the onyx boox 60?
thanks!!
agriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
agriff

any idea of how to install the bebook firmware on the onyx boox?? since your post i am really interested in going with beebook rather than onyx because i am having some big issues with the TTS and annotations
thanks!
-Aimee
Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Have a look at http://booxusers.com. There you'll find all information about firmware versions, what's in them and how to install them.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
glin
Groupie

In addition to the excellent BooxUsers forum http://booxusers.com/ have a look at the official site : http://mybebook.com/index.html

See these information about the Bebook Neo firmware installation :
http://"http://mybebook.com/a44/bebo...cle_info.html"

Last edited by glin; 11-05-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
agriff

Thanks!! I updated it by jsut putting the bebook firmware on my SD card and doing an update, it seems to be working but hte TTS does not work at all and the dictionary doesn't seem to work, any suggestions?