Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Display - Touch vs NT vs Keyboard

We've gone a bit eReader crazy here lately with the kids so I'm in the position of being able to compare three (actually four) eReaders and am wondering if any of you have noticed the same:

The Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch displays are virtually identical. The non-Touch Kindle has a darker gray background so it had less contrast than the other two. Have any of you noticed this or do I have a less-than-perfect NT?

I also got nostalgic for my old PRS-505 so I found one in blue that was NIB. I loved the design of the Sony but the screen is nowhere near as nice as the Kindles.

I actually prefer the NT Kindle to the Touch except for the display. I find that the touchscreen interferes with the whole "disappears in your hand" thing. The Sony had that down pat with the page-turn button in the lower left of the device.

Now if I could only get a pearl display in the Sony . . .
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
The x50's and the T1 have pearl screens.

I also thought the NT screen was darker than the KK. I have never seen a Touch.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
We've gone a bit eReader crazy here lately with the kids so I'm in the position of being able to compare three (actually four) eReaders and am wondering if any of you have noticed the same:

The Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch displays are virtually identical. The non-Touch Kindle has a darker gray background so it had less contrast than the other two. Have any of you noticed this or do I have a less-than-perfect NT?

I also got nostalgic for my old PRS-505 so I found one in blue that was NIB. I loved the design of the Sony but the screen is nowhere near as nice as the Kindles.

I actually prefer the NT Kindle to the Touch except for the display. I find that the touchscreen interferes with the whole "disappears in your hand" thing. The Sony had that down pat with the page-turn button in the lower left of the device.

There's a whole thread here on the K4 having contrasts issues.

Sony's T1 may be the reader you want. It has pearl and alot of nice features.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is only one 6" "Pearl" screen made. All device that use it use the exact same screen. All you're seeing is the variation that can occur from one eInk panel to another. There is no systematic variation based on device model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There should be no real difference in the screens, but going by the anecdotal evidence in these forums alone, there does seem to be some variation with the Kindle NT.

The Sony PRS-T1 has the advantage of having page turn buttons in addition to the touch-screen, but they are situated on the front, so IMHO not in a great position compared to where they are on the Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There's a whole thread here on the K4 having contrasts issues.

Sony's T1 may be the reader you want. It has pearl and alot of nice features.
Thanks for the link, Blossom. Looks like there something is to this. I'll call Amazon and see if they will replace the NT.

I went out and bought a Sony PRS-T1 at Best Buy to try out. I do like the software and the fact that it has page turn buttons even though they are thin. But overall the T1 feels cheap and I don't care for the glossy border. Compared to the Kindle Touch the build quality just isn't anywhere near as solid. I will be returning it but I'm glad I tried it and appreciate the suggestion.

I'm starting to warm up more and more to the Kindle Touch. I've been A-B'ing the Touch and the NT with the same books. It's close but the Touch just nudges out the NT. An ideal reader would be a combination of both: a Touch with the exact form factor of the NT, remove the lever-style page turn buttons on the sides, and put page turn, home, menu, and return buttons on the bottom bezel. Add a little more style a la Apple or Sony (aluminum in different colors?) and you have the perfect reader IMO.

UPDATE: New NT on the way - should be interesting to see if it has a better screen.

Last edited by AintLDS; 03-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Blossom. Looks like there something is to this. I'll call Amazon and see if they will replace the NT.

I went out and bought a Sony PRS-T1 at Best Buy to try out. I do like the software and the fact that it has page turn buttons even though they are thin. But overall the T1 feels cheap and I don't care for the glossy border. Compared to the Kindle Touch the build quality just isn't anywhere near as solid. I will be returning it but I'm glad I tried it and appreciate the suggestion.

I'm starting to warm up more and more to the Kindle Touch. I've been A-B'ing the Touch and the NT with the same books. It's close but the Touch just nudges out the NT. An ideal reader would be a combination of both: a Touch with the exact form factor of the NT, remove the lever-style page turn buttons on the sides, and put page turn, home, menu, and return buttons on the bottom bezel. Add a little more style a la Apple or Sony (aluminum in different colors?) and you have the perfect reader IMO.
You should work for Amazon. I like your prototype.

Anyway I think Amazon will replace your NT, but don't get too excited. I went through two and gave up. My theory on this is Amazon didn't give enough room for a proper battery on the NT and had to cut back on drive power. Why does this Kindle NT have the lowest battery life on the Amazon Kindle page? Why do the touch and 3G touch have double the battery life. I find this very strange. I find it hard to believe that most of the faulty panels wound up in the NT's.
Sorry, here we go again.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
AintLDS
No soliciting

So the new NT arrived yesterday and I've been testing in different light. The conclusion is that the replacement definitely has a better screen with a slightly lighter gray background and sharper definition of text. It's very close now to the Touch but the Touch is just a bit better. Martyd, you are probably on to something - for the price they probably took a few shortcuts.

I still really like the NT form factor and lighter weight so it's difficult to choose between it and the Touch. Now that the screen is a bit nicer I may be favoring the NT. Both are nice units, though - you really can't go wrong. I think Amazon has done a very good job improving the product since the original.

Last edited by AintLDS; 03-15-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
So the new NT arrived yesterday and I've been testing in different light. The conclusion is that the replacement definitely has a better screen with a slightly lighter gray background and sharper definition of text. It's very close now to the Touch but the Touch is just a bit better. Martyd, you are probably on to something - for the price they probably took a few shortcuts.

I still really like the NT form factor and lighter weight so it's difficult to choose between it and the Touch. Now that the screen is a bit nicer I may be favoring the NT. Both are nice units, though - you really can't go wrong. I think Amazon has done a very good job improving the product since the original.
One big bonus is the Collections Plugin for Calibre will work for the K4. You can change things like Fonts, Margins and have Full Justification. I use a different font on my K4 and it makes all the difference.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
I find that the touchscreen interferes with the whole "disappears in your hand" thing.
Interesting that you should say that because I find with my new Touch, I swipe the screen rather than tapping, and that seems to feel more like turning the pages of a real book to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is only one 6" "Pearl" screen made. All device that use it use the exact same screen. All you're seeing is the variation that can occur from one eInk panel to another. There is no systematic variation based on device model.
I've seen speculation (maybe on CNET?) that Amazon is "binning" the screens, where the lesser quality ones get put into a different bin and used on the cheaper reader.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Wow, never heard of binning but it make some sense for the low end readers. Here's one report I found that is interesting.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ty,3078-4.html

What I find hard to believe is that Amazon would accept a subpar screen. There has to be some kind of a spec as to what the minimum quality is. Where the screen goes is the luck of the draw. For now I'll stick with a design error (or on purpose) with the NT.

Last edited by Martyd; 03-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is only one 6" "Pearl" screen made. All device that use it use the exact same screen.
Isn't the iRiver Story HD using a 768 × 1024 display as opposed to the 800 x 600 the others use?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Isn't the iRiver Story HD using a 768 × 1024 display as opposed to the 800 x 600 the others use?
I thought that wasn't a Pearl screen?

Edit: Didn't mean to answer a question with a question. Just came out that way.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
What I find hard to believe is that Amazon would accept a subpar screen. There has to be some kind of a spec as to what the minimum quality is. Where the screen goes is the luck of the draw. For now I'll stick with a design error (or on purpose) with the NT.
The NT doesn't have to be a subpar screen. Maybe Amazon accepts screens above a minimum standard like everyone else, and the lower quality ones among those go into the NT, and the KT gets the better ones?

Last edited by howyoudoin; 03-17-2012 at 02:36 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I thought that wasn't a Pearl screen?

Edit: Didn't mean to answer a question with a question. Just came out that way.
You're correct...the iRiver Story has a Vizplex screen.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote