Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Truncated page with some 'Fetch news' source

I was experimenting with the new Kindle software Preview (3.1) and wanted to confirm that the new subscription layout worked with calibre's Fetch News feature. For the most part, it works great, and while I had totally switched over to reading RSS with 'Reeder' app on my iPod Touch, with the new layout, I'm tempted to use calibre again for a few of them so I can read on my Kindle instead. It is just SO much better.

But one of the news sources I picked at random ('Bill O'Reilly' in fact..) generated an azw file where several of the articles truncate text at the bottom of a page. When the 5way cursor is moved into the text, it goes into 'table pan' mode. I unpacked the azw and sure enough, the article text is all packed inside a <td> tag. The table cell has too much text to fit on one page, even at the smallest text size.

Kindle has known issues with <table> and this must certainly be one of them.

Another news source I picked, 'Chicago Tribune', seemed to work okay, though I didn't check everything.

What I'm wondering is if this is an issue with calibre recipes in general, or just the one with the problem? I did not see this problem before the 3.1 update, but then, I never tried 'Bill OReilly' before... I really don't think it is the 3.1 update, but haven't had a chance to try these on my K2 yet. (will update this thread when I have)

Surely the offending <table> usage is inherited from the source HTML, but to avoid this problem, the HTML needs to be sanitized to avoid causing problems when converted to azw. Does calibre have a facility for doing this?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But one of the news sources I picked at random ('Bill O'Reilly' in fact..) generated an azw file where several of the articles truncate text at the bottom of a page. When the 5way cursor is moved into the text, it goes into 'table pan' mode. I unpacked the azw and sure enough, the article text is all packed inside a <td> tag. The table cell has too much text to fit on one page, even at the smallest text size.
Most folks building recipes go out of their way to eliminate the tables so the Bill O'Reilly recipe should be the rare exception and not the rule.

Adding the conversion_options after remove_javascript = True removed the tables and the recipe should work fine for you after this customization.

Code:
    remove_javascript     = True
    conversion_options = {
                          'linearize_tables' : True 
                        }
Moved to recipe sub-forum in case my advice is off the mark.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Thanks, that answers my question!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote