Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Authors who don't know the meaning of words...

Just been re-reading David Eddings' "Belgariad" series. An excellent fantasy series, but I just spotted this "howler" in book 4 of the series:

"The Mrin Codex was an ancient-looking scroll..."

Mr Eddings really should go and look up the word "Codex" in a dictionary and find out what it means .

Despite such errors, a series I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys "swords and sorcery" type fantasy novels.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I read Belgariad a couple of years ago, it was quite good as far as I remember. I should perhaps mention that in general I love monumental fantasy series.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love the series - I've read it over and over again; I was just rather amused by this error. A "codex", in case anyone doesn't know, is a book. ie it is specifically not a scroll. The invention of the codex revolutionised reading because you can "flip through" a codex, whereas the only way to read a scroll is from "end to end" (plus the fact that, when you've finished it, you have to "rewind" it for the next reader).
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
maybe it was a rolled up book, so i kind of looked like a scroll
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Didn't they used to convert scrolls to codexes (codexi?) by pleating them? Maybe this was a converted scroll. (I don't really think this is what Eddings meant, I'm just trying to think of ways to make the sentence make sense.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Didn't they used to convert scrolls to codexes (codexi?) by pleating them? Maybe this was a converted scroll. (I don't really think this is what Eddings meant, I'm just trying to think of ways to make the sentence make sense.)
No, because the following sentences go on to describe how Garion had to get used to reading it by unrolling it with one hand, and rolling it up with the other. Sorry, but it's quite definitely a scroll .
Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
"1. an official list of chemicals or medicines etc."
maybe he meant that? shug
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But he appears to be using "Codex" as a name, names get different rules (like, almost none ), and often have little to do with definitions.

On the other hand, Jason K. Chapman seems to think that "enervate" means the opposite of what it actually does.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But he appears to be using "Codex" as a name, names get different rules (like, almost none ), and often have little to do with definitions.
There are lots of historic documents called the "something-or-other codex"; eg, there's very well-known copy of New Testament called the "Codex Sinaiticus". However, the reason that they are called the something-or-other codex is, surprisingly enough, because without exception they are all in the form of a codex . It's just stupid to call a scroll the something-or-other codex; a scroll isn't a codex.

Sorry, but I think the explanation is 99% certainly that Mr Eddings had vaguely heard the name "codex" being used in connection with ancient documents, thought that it sounded good, and decided to use it in his books without actually knowing what the word meant.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, but I think the explanation is 99% certainly that Mr Eddings had vaguely heard the name "codex" being used in connection with ancient documents, thought that it sounded good, and decided to use it in his books without actually knowing what the word meant.
Oh, you're most likely dead on, but he gets some with me because he's using it as a name.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It would be as ridiculous as calling a city something like "The Big Apple" when it's not an apple, but a city.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Or having a section of a city that was a totally separate entity from the rest, to the point of the titular head of state being barred from entering it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Just been re-reading David Eddings' "Belgariad" series. An excellent fantasy series, but I just spotted this "howler" in book 4 of the series:

"The Mrin Codex was an ancient-looking scroll..."

Mr Eddings really should go and look up the word "Codex" in a dictionary and find out what it means .

Despite such errors, a series I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who enjoys "swords and sorcery" type fantasy novels.
He cannot look up "Codex" or any other word in a dictionary anymore. He passed away half year ago I think.

I was not impressed by Belgariad.
I found it way too simple, naive, very young adult type fantasy.
He is a great fantasy author for kids and teenagers to get them into fantasy (10-15 years old). However, if you read him for the first time when you are older, after you have read a lot of other fantasy works then it is meh...

If I am not mistaken, The Belgariad was rebranded kid's fiction. Which suits it quite well
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sorry to hear that he's died - I didn't know that.

"Juvenile" or not, I thoroughly enjoyed every book of David Eddings - I think my very favourite is the standalone book "The Redemption of Althalus". He remains one of my favourite authors.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I think my very favourite is the standalone book "The Redemption of Althalus". He remains one of my favourite authors.
Oh my. How opinions vary...
While The Belgariad was digestble, The Redemption of Althalus is in the top 3 list of the worst fantasy books I have ever read in my life . It was the last attempt to read Eddings. After this book I gave up
astra is offline   Reply With Quote