Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Automatic date of modification and creation

When I make a new e-book I add the date of creation to the meta data and whenever I make a correction to one of my e-books, I change the date of modification.

In my opinion, it would be an advantage if Sigil automatically adds the date of creation on the first save, and the date of modification on the next ones.

Or I'm I the only one who manually adapts these dates all the time?
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The set-date-of-modification-on-save feature request is already on the tracker. It's waiting for the options screen, because the user would have to opt-in to this behavior. I don't want Sigil to automatically update the book's metadata by itself unless told to do so, that goes against the Law of Least Astonishment.

The date of creation being set automatically... I don't think that's what the date of creation is for. As I understand it, it's for the date of creation of the original work, not the epub file. So if you're editing a book published in 1948 but created in 1945, the DoC would say 1945 and DoP would say 1948.

That's just my interpretation, not necessarily the correct one.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The date of creation being set automatically... I don't think that's what the date of creation is for. As I understand it, it's for the date of creation of the original work, not the epub file. So if you're editing a book published in 1948 but created in 1945, the DoC would say 1945 and DoP would say 1948.
The specification is not very specific on what the different dates could mean. This is what I use:

<dc:date opf:event="publication"> For publication of the original work. Multiple instances if the ebook collects multiple works (as in a trilogy or omnibus...)
<dc:date opf:event="translation"> For publication of the translation, if it is a translated work. If there are multiple languages, I use "translation (de)" or "translation (pt)"...
<dc:date opf:event="creation"> For creation of the first ePUB version.
<dc:date opf:event="modification"> For the last modification of the ePUB.

But the specification only says: "The date element has one optional OPF event attribute. The set of values for event are not defined by this specification; possible values may include: creation, publication, and modification."
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
This is what I use:
That is precizely the way I do it too. But I admit that I also just guess ...
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The specification is not very specific on what the different dates could mean. This is what I use:

<dc:date opf:event="publication"> For publication of the original work. Multiple instances if the ebook collects multiple works (as in a trilogy or omnibus...)
<dc:date opf:event="translation"> For publication of the translation, if it is a translated work. If there are multiple languages, I use "translation (de)" or "translation (pt)"...
<dc:date opf:event="creation"> For creation of the first ePUB version.
<dc:date opf:event="modification"> For the last modification of the ePUB.

But the specification only says: "The date element has one optional OPF event attribute. The set of values for event are not defined by this specification; possible values may include: creation, publication, and modification."
I like that interpretation but why have multiple translation entries and marking the language as part of the translation? Do you have more than one language in the same file? Or are you marking the original language it is translated from?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I like that interpretation but why have multiple translation entries and marking the language as part of the translation? Do you have more than one language in the same file? Or are you marking the original language it is translated from?
So far, I've only used it in the multilingual edition of Dante's Divine Comedy, there I have:

Code:
    <dc:title xml:lang="it">La divina commedia</dc:title>
    <dc:title xml:lang="de">Göttliche Komödie</dc:title>
    <dc:title xml:lang="en">The Divine Comedy</dc:title>
    <dc:title xml:lang="es">La divina comedia</dc:title>
    <dc:title xml:lang="pt">A divina comédia</dc:title>
    <dc:title xml:lang="ru">Божественная комедия</dc:title>
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Alighieri, Dante">Dante Alighieri</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="ill" opf:file-as="Doré, Gustave">Gustave Doré</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Streckfuß, Carl">Carl Streckfuß</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth">Henry Wadsworth Longfellow</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Mitre, Bartolomé">Bartolomé Mitre</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Pinheiro, José Pedro Xavier">José Pedro Xavier Pinheiro</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Лози́нский, Михаи́л Леони́дович">Михаи́л Леони́дович Лози́нский</dc:creator>
    <dc:language>it</dc:language>
    <dc:language>de</dc:language>
    <dc:language>en</dc:language>
    <dc:language>es</dc:language>
    <dc:language>pt</dc:language>
    <dc:language>ru</dc:language>
    <dc:date opf:event="publication">1321</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation (de)">1826</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation (en)">1867</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation (es)">1897</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation (pt)">1882</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation (ru)">1945</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="creation">2009-08-05</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="modification">2009-09-19</dc:date>
because the document contains all those languages (I didn't use xml:lang for dates, because it's not the dates which are in different languages, but the translations they refer to).

In "The Story of Gösta Berling", however, since it's just an English translation from the original Swedish (and the original is not included in the document), I have:

Code:
    <dc:title>The Story of Gösta Berling</dc:title>
    <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Lagerlöf, Selma Ottiliana Lovisa">Selma Lagerlöf</dc:creator>
    <dc:creator opf:role="trl" opf:file-as="Flach, Pauline Bancroft">Pauline Bancroft Flach</dc:creator>
    <dc:language>en</dc:language>
    <dc:date opf:event="publication">1891</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="translation">1898</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="creation">2009-08-24</dc:date>
    <dc:date opf:event="modification">2009-10-05</dc:date>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks, I see what you are doing. Looks correct to me and a nice way to solve the problem. I would also think the translator should be identified as to the language. With that you would have a full trail of title, translator, and date. It is also difficult to see the original language for the document which would seem important. I don't have the solution, just raising the questions for thought.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote