Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Smilies not working?

I can't get the smilies to work... Have they been disabled? They are not ticked as disabled in my options.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Checking.. No they work for me...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I checked the mobile site and the smilies were working.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-20-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
OK... don't know, why they won't work for me, then.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Just to make sure
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Have you changed your browser settings? Smilies don't work on my pc if javascript is off.
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I've just made an interesting discovery re. the smilies:
- when I connect using the wifi service in the marina, the smilies work OK and the little message you get when you hover over the blue dots works ok;
- when I connect using a mobile network 3G modem, both of the above fail.
Puzzling, but not a show-stopper :-)
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
I've just made an interesting discovery re. the smilies:
- when I connect using the wifi service in the marina, the smilies work OK and the little message you get when you hover over the blue dots works ok;
- when I connect using a mobile network 3G modem, both of the above fail.
Puzzling, but not a show-stopper :-)
Maybe your 3G connection has some settings where you can tell not to show smiles in forums to reduce the traffic?

I assume you are using the same computer in both of forementioned scenarios?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Smilies work for me in Internet Explorer ; but not in Firefox .

(This has been an IE post.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Smilies work for me in Internet Explorer ; but not in Firefox .

(This has been an IE post.)
Do you have some sort of add block add-on such as adblock plus?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do you have some sort of add block add-on such as adblock plus?
Yes - several addons (inc AdBlock) and one if them is probably affecting smilies.
Firefox is a bit of a faff imho (e.g. it thinks it's still running when I try to start it, but it ain't).
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Yes - several addons (inc AdBlock) and one if them is probably affecting smilies.
Firefox is a bit of a faff imho (e.g. it thinks it's still running when I try to start it, but it ain't).
Unfortunately it is running when You think it is not (and rightfully so). The slower the computer the more noticeable it is. If you start up task manager and look at the processes, you will noticed that when it happens, firefox is still there.

I have only one ad block add-on, which is ad block plus. It definitely doesn't block smiles by default.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately it is running when You think it is not (and rightfully so). The slower the computer the more noticeable it is. If you start up task manager and look at the processes, you will noticed that when it happens, firefox is still there.
Yes, it's one of the other add-ons that stops Firefox exiting gracefully, so the process stays running.

Quote:
I have only one ad block add-on, which is ad block plus. It definitely doesn't block smiles by default.
I don't associate ad blocking with smilie supression, and haven't spotted what aspect of the ad blocking is doing it. (I'm running Adblock Plus 1.1.3)
Old 01-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I don't associate ad blocking with smilie supression, and haven't spotted what aspect of the ad blocking is doing it. (I'm running Adblock Plus 1.1.3)
Sorry. I misread your post. I believed that you have a few add-ons that block ads.
I have firefox on about 10 different pcs, not all of them have add-ons though, and they don't block smiles.
Maybe you are subscribed to a different provider/s of blocking rules than me?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Quote:
Maybe your 3G connection has some settings where you can tell not to show smiles in forums to reduce the traffic?

I assume you are using the same computer in both of forementioned scenarios?
I don't think it's the modem - there's no settings for that. It's the same pc, but the behaviour appears to be specific to Google Chrome - if I revert to IE then smilies and a few other things work the same irrespective of the connection mode.

Came in over the wifi tonight: and smilies are working
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote