Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
jsprung
jsprung began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Amazon and Sony on Calibre - Table of Contents

I've had a Kindle 2 the last several weeks and I just picked up the Sony 300 last week to compare the two. I greatly prefer the navigation on the Sony but I have a question on how Cailbre organizes News feeds on both devices. I will use the New York Times (subscription) as an example.

On the Kindle, the feed from Calibre looks basically identical to the actual layout one would get if they subscribed through Amazon. There is a table of contents that list each section and then you can dive deeper into a list of articles from that section if you desire. On the Sony however, Calibre lists every article directly into the table of contents. In other words, Cailbre will say "130 items" under "Table of Contents" as opposed to "10 items" if it was only listing the sections. I did buy todays issue of the Times at the Sony Store and it did format correctly, in other words "10 items" under Table of Contents.

Another example of this would be the ESPN feed. Amazon has 16 sections to choose from while the Sony is showing 211 items.

I hope I am doing something wrong and that this can be changed easily because I am greatly preferring the Sony and in general find the navigation much easier and faster.

Any thought?
jsprung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No the NYTimes is laid out by section in the sony as well. Use the table of content option int he menu to see it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
jsprung
jsprung began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Kovid, Thanks for your help. I went back into preferences and started from scratch, downloaded some feed for today and now everything looks fine. It still is very strange to me because my reader still shows all the feeds from last week with hundreds of items in the "table of contents" section from the Times and ESPN.

I must have done something wrong but now it looks great, thanks.

_Jason
jsprung is offline   Reply With Quote