Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Samsung 'Papyrus' E Ink device announced

Amidst all the commotion from Palm, this seems to have slipped through the cracks:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2009/01...-e-ink-device/

Quote:
I go the chance to play around with the Samsung Papyrus in the Samsung booth. While the Samsung representatives had absolutely no information about the Papyrus, I was able to find the information management, active digitizer notetaking, and, of course, book reading to be very functional.
Details are sparse. It doesn't look as though the device brings anything new to the table that we don't already have from iRex/Sony/Amazon - but I thought it was interesting just the same.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1030688-small.jpg
Views:	2711
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	20892  
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
The pen lag on notetaking was vastly improved over the iRex iLiad reader that I reviewed last year. Response was zippy and the built-in apps seemed to be reasonably intuitive.
Very good, very good. Now: Price? PDF compatibility? Backlighting? Availability?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
No buttons? At all? Strange.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I think it looks sleek. The lack of buttons especially...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Im not interested unless it has a page turn button! i am not buying any device that required me to frequently touch the screen with my greasy fingers or take my gloves off.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
That's purty. It definitely didn't fall out of the same tree as the Kindle (which, to it's defense, survived hitting every branch on the way down).

Anyone else think the asymmetrical bezel is odd?
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im not interested unless it has a page turn button! i am not buying any device that required me to frequently touch the screen with my greasy fingers or take my gloves off.
I see some kind of stylus there... but it's an inconvenience anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Seems more oriented as a PDA replacement than a pure reading device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Look amazing, I got a chance to see it at the CES! I think it is a 5 inch e-paper display.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
I hadn't even noticed it until you mentioned it, but you're right. It's quite distracting.
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
Look amazing, I got a chance to see it at the CES! I think it is a 5 inch e-paper display.
So, is there a page turning button or not?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
I think the asymmetrical bezel may be to leave space on the right side for the charging port and my a few buttons which are not visible in the picture.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Well any new ebook readers can only serve to improve competition and reduce prices over time and i imagine samsung will be cheaper than sony though if it is a 5 inch screen then im not interested i want to to see more 8 and 10 inch screens not getting smaller than 6".

Im surprised there aren't more ebook readers at CES really where is philips? i would of thought they would be in the market seeing as they started irex.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i kind of like the idea of a 5-inch e-ink device ; very portable. nice for reading in the métro, etc. it's hard to tell from the photos but it looks as if there may be buttons on the right side. maybe that's where the page turn buttons are.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I think the asymmetrical bezel may be to leave space on the right side for the charging port and my a few buttons which are not visible in the picture.
Yes, and as we don't see them on the picture I fear they may be touch sensitive buttons like on a number of Samsung phones and monitor.

These are buttons that activate without pressure, just when you pass a finger over them. I found them horrible, an uncle has a monitor with these kind of buttons and it's a hassle to use them. But everything "touch" is so trendy nowadays

Additionally I guess you can use the touch screen to turn pages.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote