Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
malmhdy
Enthusiast
malmhdy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
kindle paper white or nook glowlight

which to buy kindle paper white with limited storage and nook had sounds which one worth to buy
malmhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Paperwhite, by all reports so far, is superior to the Nook Glowlight. The Nook has no audio, if that's what you mean by "sounds." It does have an SD card slot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think That this issue is better presented in poll form.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Paperwhite, by all reports so far, is superior to the Nook Glowlight. The Nook has no audio, if that's what you mean by "sounds." It does have an SD card slot.
I don't think the Paperwhite will have audio.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
EltaninPub
Nameless Being

I had to buy a nook for some ebook testing, and the thing that bugs me the most is that you can't turn the page forward, using the touch screen, with your left hand. With the kindle, I can read with just my left hand - you just have to reach past a very narrow strip of the screen which turns the page backwards, to get to the area (most of the screen) which will turn the page forward. But with the nook, you have to touch the right third of the screen to page forward - impossible to do with your left thumb (while holding the nook with your left hand).

Yes, it has page turn buttons, but you have to press them really hard, and since the nook has a kind of rounded back, the nook would rock quite a bit whenever I tried using the buttons.

And finally - what the others said. The kindle paperwhite has higher resolution, whiter white, blacker black, a better light, and costs less.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by EltaninPub View Post
I had to buy a nook for some ebook testing, and the thing that bugs me the most is that you can't turn the page forward, using the touch screen, with your left hand. With the kindle, I can read with just my left hand - you just have to reach past a very narrow strip of the screen which turns the page backwards, to get to the area (most of the screen) which will turn the page forward. But with the nook, you have to touch the right third of the screen to page forward - impossible to do with your left thumb (while holding the nook with your left hand).

Yes, it has page turn buttons, but you have to press them really hard, and since the nook has a kind of rounded back, the nook would rock quite a bit whenever I tried using the buttons.

And finally - what the others said. The kindle paperwhite has higher resolution, whiter white, blacker black, a better light, and costs less.
All you do is flick the screen to turn the page with your left hand. I usually hold it with just the left hand and flick it with my thumb.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmhdy View Post
which to buy kindle paper white with limited storage and nook had sounds which one worth to buy
You already have a Kindle so go with the Paperwhite. Less work to convert your library. Less storage will not be a problem. You get 5GB of Cloud space for Personal Documents which I use for my Non Amazon books. One thing I love about Kindle is the ability to upload or email myself a book.

I'm getting a PW later.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I remember there being issues with the nook glow where if something impacted the screen, it would not break, but the spot of impact had a darker area when the glow was on.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UE48gZb-1sk

I don't know if the Kindle PaperWhite would suffer a similar fate.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Kindle PW has no audio. The TTS is gone. There is no microSD slot.

The nook at least has the microSD slot if that matters.

But there is also the Kobo Glo with the same XGA screen that the Kindle PW uses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle has a web browser, which Nook lacks (unless 'you hacks'). Storage is more limited but between 5GB personal documents storage, and ability to access dropbox, calibre server, etc. with the browser makes it more flexible and convenient if you have 3rd party content.

Nook only has something like 250MB for 3rd party content unless you add SD card, and it all has to be managed over USB.

Of course comparisons of screens/lighting is pretty hypothetical at this point, as only Nook Glowlite exists in the wild. And I think we can anticipate a new Nook before the holidays with at least XGA screen. The limited comparisons we have with NGL and KPW seem to favor KPW however, as they should, or Amazon would be silly to ship KPW.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle has a web browser, which Nook lacks (unless 'you hacks'). ...
The Nook Simple Touch "web browser" is accessed by typing a URL into the search box. No hack needed.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The Nook Simple Touch "web browser" is accessed by typing a URL into the search box. No hack needed.
That used to work, but a firmware update turned that 'feature' off. At least that was true last time I tried it, and I haven't seen an update since then. Even when it 'worked' it was not particularly useable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That used to work, but a firmware update turned that 'feature' off. At least that was true last time I tried it, and I haven't seen an update since then. Even when it 'worked' it was not particularly useable.
My nook was still running 1.0.1 firmware. I am downloading the latest 1.1.2 now. I will try it with the newest firmware.

EDIT: I cannot access web pages with 1.1.2. What's up with that? It's MY wifi, and MY ereader. Why the feature regression? Sadly, I did not back it up first. Oh well, a lot of websites did not work anyway. It sucks when they remove features (even crappy ones). Apparently, they WANT me to root it to restore the missing features.

If the Paperwhite has the same facebook and twitter "social networking" loopholes as the K5 did, you can still access any web page over 3G with a stock (fresh out of the box) Kindle, if you know how (but I would not recommend making a habit of it). Of course, amazon has the option to fix this in a firmware update if they so choose. It would be interesting to test these built-in "internet gateway" loopholes in the Paperwhite 3G.

However, other than testing for educational purposes, please do not abuse those loopholes. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-10-2012 at 09:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote