Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Global night modes for rooted Galaxy S2, maybe S3, maybe note

I've been making an app that provides global (i.e., working in all or almost all apps) night mode for rooted Galaxy S2 and maybe Note and S3 devices. For instance, one option turns the screen to red-and-black (white goes to red, black goes to black, everything else goes to shades of red; you can also reverse it so white goes to black and black goes to red); another turns the screen to green-and-black, another turns whites to sepia, another turns off blue pixels (blue light at night keeps one awake, people say, so this might make it easier to read oneself to sleep), etc.

I like to read green text on a black background at night, for instance. And for astronomy it's nice to use the red mode to help preserve dark adaptation.

Of course, some ebook apps provide a lot of color flexibility. But not all of them do, even then after you leave the ebook app, you'll get system colors. Not so with my GalacticNight app. (Though it might turn off in Camera and Gallery.)

I know that ChainFire3D does some of this already, but my app does a more sophisticated color conversion. (E.g., CF3D's red mode just drops the green and blue pixels. My red mode effectively first converts all three pixels to monochrome, and then changes monochrome to shades of red. This means that in my red mode, you can still see green and blue details on the screen, rendered in shades of red.)

There is one catch with this app. While so far it works great on my Epic 4G Touch ( = Sprint Galaxy S2) with Gingerbread, Samsung's video driver works quite differently on ICS. And I don't have an ICS device to test this on (and don't want to "upgrade" to ICS for various reasons). I tried to figure out how the video stuff works in ICS based on the ICS source code, and so I put ICS code into the app.

But I need someone to test it.

This needs to be someone with (a) a rooted Galaxy S2/Note/S3, (b) ICS and (c) guts. Why guts? Well, this is AT YOUR OWN RISK testing. While everything will probably go back to normal after a reboot, there is always a chance of screwing up your display. How big is the chance? I would like to say "small", but that's a fallible judgment. This is somewhat less risky on the S2, and somewhat more on the Note and S3. (After all, I have tested on the GB-based S2.)

So, if you have a-b-c, email (arpruss at gmail dot com) or PM me and I'll send you a link to the apk.

But perhaps I am the only person who cares about this. If so, then it may have to remain a private app for my own use.

I'd post a screenshot of this app in action, but the color processing is done at a lower level than screenshots, so the screenshots would just show normal colors. :-)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, while I can't post a screenshot, I can post a photo.
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
pruss
Evangelist

I am about ready to release. I've had positive reports on earlier versions from S2, S3 and Note users using ICS, and I have tested on an S2 with GB.

Here is the current version if anybody wants to try it.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
to bad I have the vibrant, would love something like this
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
to bad I have the vibrant, would love something like this
If you have Android 2.x, you may be able to use ChainFire3D to get something close.
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
If you have Android 2.x, you may be able to use ChainFire3D to get something close.
I bought ChainFir3D and did see that feature but I never knew what it was for.

Unfortunately I've don't have 2.x. I'm running Chimera 2.2 (an ICS ROM)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I bought ChainFir3D and did see that feature but I never knew what it was for.

Unfortunately I've don't have 2.x. I'm running Chimera 2.2 (an ICS ROM)
Ah, I remember seeing something about how ChainFire3D's nightmode doesn't work on ICS. Another reason not to go for ICS. :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
pruss
Evangelist

I just posted 0.99rc4. New mode: Mono sepia. The standard sepia mode just changes white to sepia. Mono sepia changes white to sepia, and makes everything monochrome.

I've discovered a great use for the mono sepia and BW modes. The Kindle app screws up subpixel rendering (just as it is screwed up on the Kindle Fire), resulting in colored shadows around letters in some orientations (portrait on my S2, but this may differ). All the single-tone modes (sepia, BW, green, red and blue) will change the subpixel antialiasing to grayscale antialiasing, which to my eyes significantly improves appearance. (Subpixel antialiasing is wonderful--but mainly when done right.)

As far as I know, GN should now work on:
- S3
- S2 with ICS or GB
- Note with ICS or JB but not yet GB
OF COURSE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have heard that lots of use of a colored screen may result in screen tinting due to OLED burnin.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
pruss
Evangelist

It's now in Google Play.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.