Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
PBank
PBank began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Contents of main memory of device not showing (Kobo Touch)

A slight glitch. This seems to be a new development since upgrading both Kobo Touch firmware and Calibre in the last couple of days. I have only had the Kobo Touch since Christmas - but this was working initially.
The device is recognized and I can drag and drop files from the library to it fine, but when I click on the device icon I get a blank area where the books should show up. At the bottom of the screen it says ...Connected to Kobo Reader.
Any suggestions?
PBank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBank View Post
A slight glitch. This seems to be a new development since upgrading both Kobo Touch firmware and Calibre in the last couple of days. I have only had the Kobo Touch since Christmas - but this was working initially.
The device is recognized and I can drag and drop files from the library to it fine, but when I click on the device icon I get a blank area where the books should show up. At the bottom of the screen it says ...Connected to Kobo Reader.
Any suggestions?
You don't Drag book from the Library.
You SEND to Device (or Save to (external) Disk).
If you use the latter, you need to disconnect (eject), then reconnect for Calibre to discover books that are now there (discovery only happens on connection)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
PBank

Thanks, but not sure what you mean - what is wrong with dragging and dropping books from library to device? And my method of transferring files is not the problem - no books show up in the screen, no matter how many times I connect or reconnect - though the transfer is working just fine - so this is not a really major problem, I guess.
The Calibre manual says:
"You can also drag and drop books from your calibre library onto the icon to transfer them to your device. Conversely, you can drag and drop books from your device onto the library icon on the toolbar to transfer books from your device to the calibre library." That is what I have been doing. Surely this is no different from sending them to the device?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, but not sure what you mean - what is wrong with dragging and dropping books from library to device? And my method of transferring files is not the problem - no books show up in the screen, no matter how many times I connect or reconnect - though the transfer is working just fine - so this is not a really major problem, I guess.
The Calibre manual says:
"You can also drag and drop books from your calibre library onto the icon to transfer them to your device. Conversely, you can drag and drop books from your device onto the library icon on the toolbar to transfer books from your device to the calibre library." That is what I have been doing. Surely this is no different from sending them to the device?
I was thinking you were messing about in the Library folder with Windows Explorer (or equivalent) .
I have not used that way to get books to my device. I always select books and click the send to Device icon.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
PBank

No - I am not messing about in the library folder of Explorer or anything else - I mean dragging and dropping a book or group of books to the "device" icon on the toolbar. This is a perfectly legit way to transfer books within Calibre - but this is a red herring - this is not the source of the problem.
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
PBank

Sorry, theducks, re-reading your message, I see you are not misunderstanding me - just saying you had not used this method before. Anyway, my original question still stands if anyone has any ideas.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button) and post the debug log
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
PBank

I ran it in debug mode and it worked perfectly fine. So I ran it not in debug mode and it worked perfectly fine. This is like when you take your car in because it is making an awful noise and it works perfectly for the mechanic. I swear i was not imagining it and I checked my connections and tried several times before. Anyway, thanks, both of you.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The Calibre manual says:
"You can also drag and drop books from your calibre library onto the icon to transfer them to your device. Conversely, you can drag and drop books from your device onto the library icon on the toolbar to transfer books from your device to the calibre library."
You learn something new everyday.

You're the first person in 3 years that used the words "drag and drop files from the library" and wasn't talking about using a file manager to move files from the library to the device outside of calibre. I've been using calibre for over 3 years and doing what you do never occurred to me. That said, I think I'll just stick with highlighting the books and clicking the Send to device icon.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

FWIW

I just enabled my Icons and tried the drag to Send To Device (my PEz).
The "Not allowed" (Circle-bend sinister) pointer symbol appeared
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to drag to "Device" not "Send to Device".
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I didn't know you could do that . A very useful shortcut - thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Do Templates apply?

A question comes to mind

Does drag and drop bypass the Save or Send Templates?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, they do. D'nD is exactly the same as right clicking send to device and choosing Send to main memory (or if you drag to the storage card button, clicking send to card A)