Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
emma67
emma67 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
little calibre/kindle problem

Hi, first time here. Have downloaded calibre to laptop and scheduled weekend newspapers. Have successfully emailed to kindle BUT have to click 'download' and have to have kindle usb'd to laptop. Was under imression that so long as I had calibre running, it would get paper and email to kindle without me doing anything. Was I wrong? And PLEASE keep it simple. I'm not in the slightest bit techy. thanks
emma67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Did you schedule the download?

Click on the little arrow next to the fetch news icon and select schedule a download. Pick your source and tell Calibre when to download it.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
Maybe this will help if you didn't already know about it.

You should also be aware of the following:

Use the @free.kindle.com address for your kindle or you'll get charged $$
When setting up the email address in Calibre there is a portion for which email address Calibre sends the files from, for example johndoe@someemail.com You'll need to log into your amazon account and make sure johndoe@someemail.com is added to the list of addresses allowed to send emails to your kindle.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post
Maybe this will help if you didn't already know about it.

You should also be aware of the following:

Use the @free.kindle.com address for your kindle or you'll get charged $$
When setting up the email address in Calibre there is a portion for which email address Calibre sends the files from, for example johndoe@someemail.com You'll need to log into your amazon account and make sure johndoe@someemail.com is added to the list of addresses allowed to send emails to your kindle.
Are you sure? See this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=calibre+email
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
emma67
emma67 began at the beginning.

thanks, folks. I have set calibre to fetch news and told it when i want it. And it works fine if i'm in calibre and actually click download and if i've got the kindle physically attached to the laptop. What isn't happening is automatic fetch news and emailing to my kindle wirelessly.,
emma67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
@jphphotography:

Kindle (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Wi-Fi there is no delivery fee. If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via 3G while inside the United States, the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.

Kindle user living outside the United States: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via 3G for a fee of $ .99 (USD) per megabyte anywhere in the world you access 3G service.
cheers
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
In order for Calibre to send your news feeds to your Kindle wirelessly, all of the following things need to be done:

1. In Calibre you need to set up your Kindle e-mail address. Open Preferences and select "Sharing books by email". Add "[your e-mail address]@free.kindle.com". For "Send e-mail from" use your Gmail e-mail address then click the "Use Gmail" button. If you don't have a Gmail account just create one and use that, it's the easiest way. Make sure that "MOBI" is added to the "Formats" column and "Auto-send" is checked.

2. In Calibre under "Fetch news/Schedule news feed" make sure that all of your news feeds have the "Schedule for download checked" and that the specific day(s) and time you want them downloaded is specified. You have to do this for each one.

3. In Calibre under "Preferences/Behavior" make sure that "Automatically send downloaded news to ebook reader" is checked.

4. On the Amazon website, under "Manage Your Kindle", add your Gmail address to "Your Kindle Approved E-mail List".

5. On your Kindle, make sure that you have Wi-Fi set up and that it works. You need to have wireless turned on at the time that the download is scheduled or turn it on when you want to have it downloaded to your Kindle. Note that if you don't have a Wi-Fi network then the only way to have the news feeds downloaded wirelessly is to use 3G (if you have that model). This will cost you $0.15/MB.

If you've done these steps correctly your news downloads should get sent to your Kindle wirelessly.

Last edited by TomF; 10-08-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added step 3
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
olley
olley began at the beginning.

Hi Tom, thanks just been through your list, as I can manually send news to my Kindle, and Calibre is downloading the news, 1,2,4,5 must be ok, and three is checked. I notice its asks for a "Preferred output format" in the Behaviour tab, I have set this to Mobi, is that correct?

Thanks Ian
olley is offline   Reply With Quote