Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Samsung touchscreen Papyrus e-book reader launches this summer

Not a lot of details here, but some info available on:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5182750/samsung...-e+book-reader

and

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/24/s...aunch-this-su/

"The A5 paper-size Papyrus features a stylus and 512MB of memory, and comes in a range of colors, including white, black, and a retro sea-foamy green. The e-book reader also includes handy applications: a memo pad, scheduler, calendar, world clock, calculator, and contact list."

The interesting part seems to be the price: 300 USD!

Let the good times come

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
F.F.
F.F. began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by engadget
along with 512MB of internal memory (with no memory card option)
no memory card?

Samsung, you have to include a SD card option otherwise I wont consider buyin it!
F.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
While I thought so myself earlier, all my experiences have shown me that a sd card is not - for myself, that is- really neccessary. I do not tend to reread a book that often and prefer to keep only a few dozen ebooks on the ebook reader for future consumption, in order to keep me occupied for two or three weeks...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I do like the looks of that thing, but, no sd-card slot is a no-go for me.

And why only (maybe) release it to the US and UK? What about the rest of Europe? And I think those Australians might want be interrested as well... And then there are two more continents with potential buyers...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Great find.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
great note pad .. if can run GTD base appls i will get
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Question What is the size of the screen?

For those unfamiliar with the A sizing of paper:

A5 Paper Dimensions: 148mm x 210mm (5.83" in x 8.27" in).

Those photos do not look this large; what am I missing, what is the diagonal size of the screen so that we can compare it to say the PRS700.

WDE.

*edit* maybe I read it wrong, the whole device is this size.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Some comments also here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=Papyrus

For me it looks like a 5" screen.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think it's actually the 6" screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.F. View Post
no memory card?

Samsung, you have to include a SD card option otherwise I wont consider buyin it!
Especially with only 512MB of memory. At least the Kindle 2 has 1.4GB for storage. Of course, lots of people are still going to be peeved since they want choice, but at least there's a halfway decent amount of storage there. I'd go through 512MB pretty quickly.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Looks very nice. I especially like the complete absence of controls other than the touchscreen. That gives it a sleek and compact look.
SD card slot is not a necessity for me and 512 mb is enough for ebooks and feeds. More important for me is the quality of display, resolution, contrast!! with regard to the touchscreen UI, refresh speed and above all the quality of firmware.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The hardware looks decent, but no SD card AND limited storage space is a bit of a deal killer, for me anyway.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #13
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'd go through 512MB pretty quickly.
Are you sure? 512MB is enough for 1000 e-books.

..but it's not enough for mp3's

Last edited by searcher; 03-26-2009 at 05:13 AM.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Are you sure? 512MB is enough for 1000 e-books.
It depends on the ebook size. I have several illustrated ebooks of more than 15MB each, plus dictionaries...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
So it can hold about 30 illustrated e-books which is not bad.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote