Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #2851
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
No I do not remember the error message, but going over the install.sh script I can see where it failed.
it tries to create a link to ${USBNET_BINDIR}/dropbearmulti from /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti and it fails, it records the error message in the log file.
ln -fs ${USBNET_BINDIR}/dropbearmulti ${var} >> ${USBNET_LOG} 2>&1 || exit ${ERR}
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #2852
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
@NiLuJe

I have a K3w, with jailbreak, usbnetwork and Duokan2012 installed. my question is

1, how to check the installed version of jailbreak and usbnetwork? If i am right, jailbreak = 0.10.N (from linkjail\info.txt) and usbnetwork = v0.35.N (from usbnet\usbnetwork_install.log)

2, i tried to update to the latest version of jailbreak, usbnetwork, under kindle firmware 3.3. I met error U007 when updating jailbreak to 0.11.N (i used update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin)

could you help?
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #2853
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
No I do not remember the error message, but going over the install.sh script I can see where it failed.
it tries to create a link to ${USBNET_BINDIR}/dropbearmulti from /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti and it fails, it records the error message in the log file.
ln -fs ${USBNET_BINDIR}/dropbearmulti ${var} >> ${USBNET_LOG} 2>&1 || exit ${ERR}
maybe run the script interactively over ssh, but folllow the instructions in the motd to make the rootfs read/write?
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #2854
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks a bunch guys

Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm nearly there.

So my userstore is the user accessible part of the Kindle? What I see when I plug the Kindle into my (windows) computer?

I backed this up (from windows) a while back, happy to wipe it and begin again. Apart from adding books the only major change was adding usbnetwork, which (I think) is uninstalled. I will uninstalling it if not. I have a raspberry pi, no idea about mkfs (make file system?) though. Can I get some more details on what to do with that, as a wipe with that sounds like the easiest solution. I presume vfat is the file system, but surely I need to point mkfs at the kindle in some way?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Tanga; 11-22-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: oops
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #2855
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
I have a raspberry pi, no idea about mkfs (make file system?) though. Can I get some more details on what to do with that, as a wipe with that sounds like the easiest solution. I presume vfat is the file system, but surely I need to point mkfs at the kindle in some way?

Thanks so much!
You have to be able to access the storage media to create a file system on it.
From your Windows connection, you can only see the file system, not the storage media that holds it.

You don't have to worry about running mkfs to create a new vfat -
If the start-up scripting discovers that /mnt/us (same thing as the root you see from Windows) is damaged or missing, it will recreate it for you.

I have no idea what you are trying to do - just deleting the files visible from Windows should be enough.

But if you must recreate the file system . . .
Before you remove usbnet, connect to the Kindle and write 16 * 512 bytes of zero to the start of the media partition holding the vfat system (that will destroy the file system) and let the reboot scripting "fix" it for you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #2856
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@YukonTrooper: Not really, no. The Fonts hack does the job on the custom fonts front, and the rest is trivial enough that using the Calibre plugin is way more user-friendly than anything I could come up with.

@blaser: The setup script is quite correct. It's just not made to be run in any other environment than the update process, where the system is in a limited runlevel, with nothing potentially annoying running in the background, and, more importantly, where the rootfs is rw (that's not to say it can't be installed manually, just, not with the same install script. [you'd at the very least need a rw rootfs, but you're on your own]).

So, yeah, we do need more info/logs about what happened when you tried run it like everyone, via the ota updater.

@seanlv:

1. Yep, you got it right, linkjail/info.txt & usbnet/info.txt .
2. You need to uninstall the jailbreak first to be able to update it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-22-2012 at 08:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #2857
seanlv
seanlv began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@YukonTrooper: Not really, no. The Fonts hack does the job on the custom fonts front, and the rest is trivial enough that using the Calibre plugin is way more user-friendly than anything I could come up with.

@blaser: The setup script is quite correct. It's just not made to be run in any other environment than the update process, where the system is in a limited runlevel, with nothing potentially annoying running in the background, and, more importantly, where the rootfs is rw (that's not to say it can't be installed manually, just, not with the same install script. [you'd at the very least need a rw rootfs, but you're on your own]).

So, yeah, we do need more info/logs about what happened when you tried run it like everyone, via the ota updater.

@seanlv:

1. Yep, you got it right, linkjail/info.txt & usbnet/info.txt .
2. You need to uninstall the jailbreak first to be able to update it.

@NiLuJe, thanks for your quick answers. I would like to know from you...

1, to update jailbreak and usbnetwork, I need to uninstall them first. then, which one I should uninstall first, usbnetwork or jailbreak? From my understanding, it should be usbnetwork, because it depends on jailbreak, right?

2, is there any easy way to restore my K3w to the original status, just like a new k3w device?

thank you in the advanced.
seanlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #2858
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@seanlv:

1. Nope, that's only needed for the jailbreak. No need to uninstall anything else (found here, at least) to update them . (So that answers your question: uninstall jb -> install jb -> update (install) usbnet)

2. Uninstall every hack (jb last, you got that right before), then do a factory reset. Or flash a full image (cf. the debricking guides).
Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #2859
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I tried to install it again and now it worked.
Thanks guys.
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #2860
YukonTrooper
YukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Kindle Collections fourth font and extra line-spacing options don't show up on Kindle after applying the jailbreak and/or one of your patches.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #2861
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@YukonTrooper: Completely unrelated. The reader.pref tweaks are notoriously fickle, and get reset/killed at the first gust of wind around the Aa menu (or when applied at the wrong time, or any number of other reasons. Like I said: fickle) .
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2862
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I made my usbnetwork to autostart when booting and now I want to change it back to normal (because when I am in Duokan, when I plug it in my laptop, USB is not shown). I know about this but I don't have such a folder... I think the wiki for this entry has changed as I think there was a *.conf file I changed... Oh well, I haven't been around for quite a while, so...
Anyways, I think I need help and it's urgent... I'm sure I've seen how I did it but can't remember!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-28-2012 at 08:01 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #2863
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi mate.

#/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 1

/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 0
that sort of thing?

in your profile maybe or whatever?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #2864
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hi mate.

#/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 1

/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop -i -- com.lab126.volumd useUsbForNetwork 0
that sort of thing?

in your profile maybe or whatever?
No buddy... it was a config like "USBNET_Autostart = on" or something like that... I need to disable so that when Duokan starts (which I believe KindleOS has booted prior to it), it'd be in USBMode not USBNetwork mode. You know.

I seriously just want to disable it, have a big day on Friday and need to study hard(ly)

Spoiler:
There is this file /etc/upstart/usbnet-autostart.conf which says:
ENABLE_File = /mnt/us/...
but the thing is I don't have that file/folder and my kindle is autostart usbnetwork!

Last edited by thatworkshop; 11-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #2865
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Can't you just touch it into place until you fix it?

I.e get FAT access then shove the files on from the installer?

EDIT: Sorry mate. I have never used it
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet