Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
A homebrewed program for viewing image archives (cbz, cbr,...)

pbimageviewer is a program for viewing collections of images. The images can be collected within a directory, or within archives such as CBZ/ZIP, CBR/RAR, CB7 and CBT/TAR files. Images can be zoomed/unzoomed, and navigation over the images can be done with the buttons and/or the stylus. For people without touchscreens, full navigation is available via the buttons. For cartoons/manga, the program can automatically detect separated panels, fit each panel to the screen if desired, and jump between panels using the buttons. As a non-touchscreen owner myself, I was motivated to make the experience easier for those of us relying on buttons.

CBZ, CBR, CB7 and CBT files are unpacked within the program, and no external programs are required. Note that for CB7 and CBT files, you have to go to the website and also download the correct version of the 7z.so file and install it to the system/bin directory. CB7 handling is very slow, though, so it's recommended that you convert them to one of the other supported formats instead.

To use the program, download the correct version for your device from the links at the bottom of this post. The 3XX version is for the older 301, 302 and 360 models. The fwv5 version is for the latest devices with firmware version 5 installed (check Settings>Software>Software_Version). The Pro-360+ version is for all the rest of the PocketBook models that were released in between with firmware version numbers between 2 and 4. Note that some models can have either firmware version 4 or 5 installed, so check the settings if you're not sure which it is.

Unless you have an old device, you should also download the device_cfg.zip file and unpack it into the internal memory.

To use the program to view archives, you just need to unzip and copy the provided pbimageviewer-***.app file to system/bin/pbimageviewer.app on the device, and then edit the system/config/extensions.cfg file to make the system recognize the archive files as books. After that, you should be able to open .cbz or .cbr files in the library app.

The following is what I added to my extensions.cfg file (note that the name of the app on each line should match with the name of the file it was copied to in the system/bin directory):

Code:
zip:@ZIP_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbz:@ZIP_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
rar:@RAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbr:@RAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar.gz:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tgz:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tar.bz2:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
tbz2:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
N.B. I can't seem to open .zip files because it looks like the Library application won't allow it. The simple fix is to change the file extension from .zip to .cbz on the archive files.

If you want to read CB7 and CBT files, add the following to the config file (and install the 7z.so library as described above):

Code:
7z:@ZIP_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cb7:@ZIP_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG
cbt:@TAR_file:1:pbimageviewer.app:ICON_JPG

You can add the following to make pbimageviewer.app the default image viewing application for the Photo/Gallery application. Just add the following to the extensions.cfg file:

Code:
jpg:@JPEG_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_JPG
jpeg:@JPEG_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_JPG
png:@PNG_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_PNG
bmp:@BMP_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_BMP
tif:@TIFF_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
tiff:@TIFF_image:2:pbimageviewer.app,picviewer.app:ICON_TIFF

You can also copy the pbimageviewer.app file to applications/ and then use it via the Applications tab to look at already existing image folders.

Finally, older devices have their capabilities hard-coded into the program, but with new devices coming out steadily, the program was modified to accept configuration files for new models. This way, a new device can be made to work without needing a new version of the application to be built. If you have a recent device, then download device_capabilities/device_cfg.zip and unzip it into the internal memory. It will copy device configuration files for newer devices to the system/share/pbiv/ directory. If you have a device for which there is no configuration file, then create a new one based on the README.TXT and default.cfg files in the zip archive. The new configuration file should be named using the model number of the device. For example, the configuration file for the Inkpad 840 is named 840.cfg.

------

Here is part of the announcement for the first release, for historical purposes:

I had been grumbling about needing to convert manga and comics to PDF or EPUB for reading on my 902, and finally decided to do something about it. I found a nice image viewing program written by Michail Polubisok (aka Dirondin) that could be used to view images in a directory. I added code to automatically unpack archives of images (in ZIP, RAR and TAR formats), and then since these archives were like books, I added many Inkview book features to the software as well (like Table of Contents and Page Selector for navigation, changing orientation, saving state and configuration options,...). The unpacking of archives is rather crude (it relies on the external programs unzip, unrar and tar), but for a first version, I find the program to be very useable even at this stage.

I've contacted Michail to help improve it, however he is very busy with schoolwork and a job right now, so I've decided to release the program as is and get some feedback on its useability before working on improvements to the archive handling code.

There is currently no support for a touchscreen, mostly because I don't have one. However, I'm sure the stylus would be very handy for panning zoomed-in images, and I expect it'll be added later if someone with a touch device wants to help with that. I've also written the menus to be internationalizable, so if anyone wants to help provide translations for other languages, they would be more than welcome.

I've put together a zip file with the necessary programs for both the newer Pro (and 360+) devices and for the older 30X/360 devices, as well. The latter are completely untested by me and may not even work, but I live in hope. I'll provide a link to the source code and unrar/unzip packages when I have that ready sometime soon.

------

Edit: Sorry, the first version of the Pro zip file had a version of unrar that wouldn't work on the devices. I re-uploaded the zip with a working version.

Edit 2: Uploaded new versions with some bug fixes.

Edit 3: Added custom zoom level feature requested by @dtanis.

Edit 4: Added configuration item to force unpacking of archives into /tmp rather than the directory that the archive file is in. This is useful if unpacking into the FAT directories fails for some reason (like non-ASCII characters in image filenames).

Edit 5: Added popup dictionary. Also switched from using the external unzip and unrar programs to using libzip and libunrar. So, unrar and unzip aren't provided in the zip file anymore. The program starts up and shuts down much faster now since each image is unpacked as needed (rather than all the images at once in the beginning), it takes up much less file space when running, and all images are temporarily unpacked to /tmp so that odd characters in filenames shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Edit 6: Added support for BMP and GIF images. Thanks to a lot of testing and excellent suggestions by @dtanis, I've been able to add support for using the stylus to control the program. You can pop up the main menu by tapping, pan the image and change pages by swiping with the stylus, and set the custom zoom by dragging across the part of the image you want to zoom in on. Horizontal panning was disabled in custom zoom mode so that swiping and left/right button pushes could be used to change pages then. This is pretty much everything I wanted to add to the program, so I don't expect many more features to go in after this. Still, suggestions and bug reports are always welcome. (Sorry, original uploads had a bug when decoding some GIFs, so a fixed version has been uploaded)

Edit 7: Added a menu item for rotating the screen if the global setting isn't set to automatic (for @fsvum). If it is set to automatic, then the program just behaves as before. So, there is no need to re-download and install if you use automatic orientation all the time.

Edit 8: Added support for (single image) TIFF files. Fixed a memory leak while decompressing RAR files.

Edit 9: Added menu and configuration options for enabling/disabling the status bar at the bottom of the display (for @vomov).

Edit 10: Added icons to the global configuration menu to make the text readable. Also added cartoon panel detection and navigation, so that those without a touchscreen could more easily read cartoons and manga.

Edit 11: Fixed handling of RGB data from PNG images when detecting cartoon panels.

Edit 12: Fixed rotation menu items, and the saving of state when the program was backgrounded. Also, added the option of automatically enlarging each cartoon panel to fit within the display. Thanks to PascalV for the bug reports and the suggestion.

Edit 13: Updated the beginning of this post to better reflect how the program now works (instead of how it worked on the first release).

Edit 14: Fixed the broken touch functionality, configuration page, and added zoom by pinching, all for the Touch 622. Thanks to luigibrosse, DmitryZ and seiichiro018 for helping me with that. Changed zooming to try to keep the same point at the center of the image.

Edit 15: Added support for zip and rar archives encrypted by a simple password. Added French, Portuguese and German translations (thanks to PascalV and seiichiro018). The step size percentage can now be configured to give 611 users a little more control (thanks to Klapo). The current image can now be saved to a configurable directory via the main menu.

Edit 16: Added the ability to automatically start the next archive in the directory, and also to automatically restart archives at the beginning if they were exited on the last page previously. Both features need to be enabled in the configuration page, as they are off by default. @dtanis has also supplied a full Dutch translation, and a partial Japanese translation (to be finished later), and PascalV and seiichiro018 have updated the French, Portuguese and German translations for the new features.

Edit 17: The last update had a broken configuration on the Touch. A fixed version was uploaded. The version for the older 3XX devices wasn't changed.

Edit 18: Added automatic startup after booting. Improved sorting of filenames in archives. Check magic number of RAR and ZIP files in case they are named incorrectly. Instantly apply Auto Panel Mode to current page, plus show icons in the bottom panel to indicate when the mode is on (as well as when auto resizing of panels is on). Added Brightness/Contrast/Gamma controls. Changed Next/Prev buttons on the Touch to step between panels in that mode, or just step the pages up and down otherwise. Added global configuration item for setting the screen orientation at startup (unless Automatic Orientation is enabled on the device). Added translations from dtanis, PascalV and seiichiro018.

Edit 19: Fixed a bug where the app crashed when launched from the Applications tab. Thanks to Dungeone for pointing it out.

Edit 20: Added the Touch Lux to the list of devices that use the new configuration structure. Thanks to seiichiro0185 for the patch.

Edit 21: No new features, but made the app work better on the newer touch devices. Colour images should be visible on the Colour Lux. Tailored the Help page to only show info on buttons that the current device has. Debug logging can now be enabled/disabled in the configuration.

Edit 22: Added automatic checking of file magic numbers for opened directories and CBZ files. Checking inside CBR files is slow, so it has been added as a configuration option. Added the ability to define the device capabilities via a configuration file, so new devices can be supported without requiring the source code to be updated. This should fix the crashes seen on the latest devices. People with 614, 624 and 626 model devices should download the device_cfg.zip file and unpack it into their internal memory so that the new XXX.cfg files end up inside the system/share/pbiv/ directory. The zip file will be updated as new models emerge in the future. There is a brand new Hungarian translation produced by @gyeben, so many thanks to him for that!

Edit 23: Fixed a bug for the Colour Lux where new archives always started out as black and white rather than colour. People with other models don't need to update if they did so recently.

Edit 24: Fixed the problem that munenori had with the missing rotation menu. This only applies to new devices without a g-sensor, and maybe only the 611 with new firmware.

Edit 25: Added config files for the Aqua (640) and the Ultra (650).

Edit 26: Version 1.0! Broke up the menus on new devices. Added two more two-fingered gestures for multi-touch devices, and descriptions for them in the Help dialog. Added margin cropping and faster navigation in cartoon panel mode for all devices. All translations except for Hungarian have been updated. Fixed the bug to do with the configured step size.

Edit 27: Added a version for devices with firmware version 5. It has the necessary libjpeg and libtiff functions statically linked, so it is bigger than the versions for the other devices.

Edit 28: Added a config file for the 840 Inkpad.

Edit 29: Added tap zones like in the PocketBook reading applications. Added a configuration option to automatically rotate images based on their aspect ratio. Added a Contents menu item for the Inkpad, since it doesn't have a menu button. Inkpad users should also download and install the latest 840.cfg file from the device_cfg.zip file for that to work. Fixed (I hope) the problem with corrupted images on the Inkpad running firmware version 5. Worked around some buggy multi-touch operations on the Inkpad (fwv 4.4.1073). This new version is labelled "1.1".

Edit 30: Version 1.1.1. Fixed a bug in the autodetection of archives based on magic numbers. Thanks to starr974 for pointing out the problem.

Edit 31: Version 1.2.0. Added support for 7z archives (the proper 7z.so file needs to be downloaded from the website and also installed at /system/bin). Can now use the application to view images on the device via the Photo application. Fixed multi-touch event handling on the latest firmware versions (>=5.4). Added the ability to set the reading direction (left-to-right or right-to-left), and made the Next/Prev buttons go Forward/Backward according to the reading direction. Changed the two-fingered tap gesture to "unzoom" the image rather than open the second menu.

Edit 32: Version 1.2.1. Added a Configuration item for automatically setting the reading direction on newly opened books (the default is left-to-right). Save the reading direction in the settings file for each archive.

Edit 33: Version 1.2.2 Updated the translations for the latest features, and added a new Polish translation by @freeshadow! Added a config file for the 630 (Sense). Otherwise, no new features.

Edit 34: Version 1.2.3 Changed the "Go to page" dialog to work on newer devices. There is no change for devices on firmware version 2 or older.

Edit 35: Version 1.2.4 Updated to a new version of libunrar, and overrode the conversion of wide char file names in RAR files.

Edit 36: Version 1.2.5 Added a new Bulgarian translation by @AdmiralAnime! Added a new zoom mode for double-page scans. Made stepping jump to the opposite side of the page as well as going up or down when reaching a side. Changed the Custom Zoom mode to allow panning anywhere on the page.

Edit 37: Version 1.2.6 Added a page info dialog that is invoked by pressing the bottom middle tap zone. Version 5 firmware devices no longer have that information showing in the status bar, so it is mostly for them. Older devices without a touch screen will have to depend on the status bar for that information. I've also added a configuration file for the Touch HD (631) to the device_cfg.zip file.

Edit 38: Version 1.2.7 Store the first image as the book cover (to be displayed when the device shuts down). Added the option to disable touch navigation. Truncate the old log file on start up to save space. Made devices set up for left-handed use autorotate to portrait 180 if desired. Added @brucelee's cmake tools to allow building under his SDK. Added top-middle tap zone for bringing up the light-level dialog if supported.

Edit 39: Added a configuration file for the Inkpad 3 (740) to the device_cfg.zip file.

Edit 40: Version 1.2.8. Ignore the auto-rotate setting when in "Fit height in portrait, fit width in landscape" zoom mode. Use the settings from the current archive when automatically opening the next archive.

Edit 41: Added configuration files for the Basic Lux 2 (616), Basic Touch 2 (625), Touch Lux 4 (627), Touch HD 3 (632) and Aqua 2 (641) models to device_cfg.zip.

Edit 42: Made a build for the newer firmware version 6 devices. Replaced the OpenDirectorySelector widget with the OpenContents widget, making it easier to read and select which item to select, and also making it possible to open archives as well as directories. Lots of minor changes and bugfixes. Updated the device_cfg.zip file for new devices (Colour, Inkpad X and Touch Lux 5).

Edit 43: Rebuilt the firmware version 6 application against newer lib7zip/p7zip versions to get them to work. You need to download and install 7z.so-fwv6.zip from the source code homepage to be able to read 7z and tar archives.

Edit 44: Version 1.3.1 Added saving the stats using the bookstate API when the archive is closed (thanks @m4mmon). Updated device_cfg.zip for the 741 (Inkpad Color).

The source code and binaries are also available at: http://komary.net/pbimageviewer/. A debug version of pbimageviewer.app for the latest devices is also available at the website, and can be used with gdb and pbterm to debug crashes.

3XX is for ancient 300, 301 and 360 devices (firmware version 1)
Pro-360+ is for slightly less ancient firmware version 2 (Pocketbook Pro 602, 603, 612, 902, 903, 912, 360+) and for the many old firmware version 3 and 4 devices.
fwv5 is for firmwave version 5 devices
fwv6 is for firmware version 6 devices
You can see which firmware version your device is using via the Software Version menu item in Settings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip device_cfg.zip (8.6 KB, 788 views)
File Type: zip pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.1-3XX.zip (246.2 KB, 698 views)
File Type: zip pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.1-Pro-360+.zip (199.1 KB, 614 views)
File Type: zip pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.1-fwv5.zip (189.7 KB, 847 views)
File Type: zip pbimageviewer.app-v1.3.1-fwv6.zip (181.9 KB, 856 views)

Last edited by rkomar; 03-21-2021 at 01:13 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Hello rkomar,

Nice to see that somebody made a conversion of an imagearchive viewer program. I tested it on my PocketBook Pro 903 with FW 2.05 but the application won't start. It just exit. I ran the application from Poterm and it showed the next error:
FT_New_Face: cannot open /mnt/ext1/system/bin/unrar
Segmentation fault

But the unrar (I took the last version you uploaded today) file is there and I can run it under poterm without any problems. Do you have an idea what's going wrong?
dtanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Nice one, thank you .
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtanis View Post
Hello rkomar,

Nice to see that somebody made a conversion of an imagearchive viewer program. I tested it on my PocketBook Pro 903 with FW 2.05 but the application won't start. It just exit. I ran the application from Poterm and it showed the next error:
FT_New_Face: cannot open /mnt/ext1/system/bin/unrar
Segmentation fault

But the unrar (I took the last version you uploaded today) file is there and I can run it under poterm without any problems. Do you have an idea what's going wrong?
Hmm, it looks like it is trying to open that file as a font!? I'll look into it, but it is a strange problem and may take a while to figure out.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard

Not much interest here, but I'll press on nonetheless. I've just uploaded some new versions that will hopefully fix the problem @dtanis had, as well as a few others.

I've also uploaded the source code for the program and sources for the unrar/unzip programs to my website: http://www3.telus.net/rkomar/pbimageviewer/
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
well, I've put a link in the sticky thread
It is very useful!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
mullenkamp
mullenkamp began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
I found another alternative for viewing many images files on the pocketbooks. And although the IQ 701 states that it can read jpegs, it doesn't really seem to.

A simple way I found was to convert the many image files into a djvu file. Initially I tried PDF, but PDFs are more resource intensive than djvu files to read, and the IQ 701 was grinding to a halt on big PDFs.
I'm sure there are many conversion programs on Windows, but as I use Ubuntu it was a bit harder to find a proper GUI conversion program. But...I did find one...
Its called gscan2pdf. http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/
It can convert any type of image file(s) to a PDF, djvu, or other formats.
For me, this was the easiest alternative to convert comic book image files to something that the pocketbooks could read effectively.
mullenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenkamp View Post
I found another alternative for viewing many images files on the pocketbooks. And although the IQ 701 states that it can read jpegs, it doesn't really seem to.

A simple way I found was to convert the many image files into a djvu file. Initially I tried PDF, but PDFs are more resource intensive than djvu files to read, and the IQ 701 was grinding to a halt on big PDFs.
I'm sure there are many conversion programs on Windows, but as I use Ubuntu it was a bit harder to find a proper GUI conversion program. But...I did find one...
Its called gscan2pdf. http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/
It can convert any type of image file(s) to a PDF, djvu, or other formats.
For me, this was the easiest alternative to convert comic book image files to something that the pocketbooks could read effectively.
Yes, and in fact I was converting to PDF before this. It's good enough, but it irked me that the images had to be re-encoded in the new document, so were always a little bit worse looking. This actually makes a difference for fine lines in compressed images, like speech balloons in manga. I didn't try using djvu though, and I don't doubt that it's better than jpeg or png compression.

The big advantages for me with pbimageviewer are that I don't need to convert at all anymore (except for renaming .zip to .cbz), and the controls for viewing are better. It is easy to tailor the initial page layout, and you have finer control over panning in zoomed in images. I no longer have the problem of seeing half of a panel in one view and the other half in the next view. That's what irritated me the most, and drove me to find something better.

Edit: Oh yes, and welcome to MobileRead, mullenkamp.

Last edited by rkomar; 12-31-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Hello rkomar,

Tried program yesterday. It works fine now. Thank your very much. Now I can read my comics without converting them. Happy New Year to you.

Got one request though. Is it possible to add an new zoom option where you customize the zoom level? Quite some comics have blank margins at both sides, so a 'fit width' makes the image just too small due to those blank margins. If there was an option where you could set a (by entering numbers) custom zoom and which also autom. center the image horizontally (not vertically) after zooming, I could get rid of those margins by zooming up an image a little more than the 'fidth width' value.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtanis View Post
Hello rkomar,

Tried program yesterday. It works fine now. Thank your very much. Now I can read my comics without converting them. Happy New Year to you.

Got one request though. Is it possible to add an new zoom option where you customize the zoom level? Quite some comics have blank margins at both sides, so a 'fit width' makes the image just too small due to those blank margins. If there was an option where you could set a (by entering numbers) custom zoom and which also autom. center the image horizontally (not vertically) after zooming, I could get rid of those margins by zooming up an image a little more than the 'fidth width' value.
I thought it was only a matter of time before someone asked for this. Anyway, it wasn't too hard to implement, so I added it to the program. I've updated the zip files at the top of this thread and at my website with the new binaries and source file.

I fooled around with it, and it really only does what you want if every image is the same size. If the images vary, then the results are hit and miss. I think ideally you would want to work out how big the margins are for each image and fit the image without the margins, but that's more work than I want to do at the moment. Some scans are quite dirty and the margins are full of noise, so doing it robustly would take some care.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rkomar, I've just started really playing around with this, and it is great, again thanks a lot. When running it from the applications menu, the options I had to open the directory were either the root of the SD card, or the directory "Books" on the device: is there any way to change this default (I wanted if possible to go higher up in the directories hierarchy)? I could not see how from the configuration settings.

More generally, I have a question on how to use it for exchanging annotated files. When taking free hand notes, the device records for each page two files, a .png image file of each page, and a corresponding .png.svg file that overlays the hand written notes. I can manually combine each pair of files to obtain a single image file corresponding to each annotated page, the convert it to pdf and combine all pages to obtain an annotated document, but I wonder whether there is a way to use the applications already developed to do this on the device - this is simply to be able to exchange annotated files with co-workers not yet converted to pocketbook

One final question: I ran your pp from the application menu, and
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
rkomar, I've just started really playing around with this, and it is great, again thanks a lot. When running it from the applications menu, the options I had to open the directory were either the root of the SD card, or the directory "Books" on the device: is there any way to change this default (I wanted if possible to go higher up in the directories hierarchy)? I could not see how from the configuration settings.

More generally, I have a question on how to use it for exchanging annotated files. When taking free hand notes, the device records for each page two files, a .png image file of each page, and a corresponding .png.svg file that overlays the hand written notes. I can manually combine each pair of files to obtain a single image file corresponding to each annotated page, the convert it to pdf and combine all pages to obtain an annotated document, but I wonder whether there is a way to use the applications already developed to do this on the device - this is simply to be able to exchange annotated files with co-workers not yet converted to pocketbook

One final question: I ran your pp from the application menu, and
The program is using the InkView OpenDirectorySelector() dialog for that, and it doesn't seem to have any options for specifying different directory trees. However, "Books" corresponds to "/mnt/ext1" and "SD Card" to /mnt/ext2", and this should cover any directories that you have write access to. The stuff higher up probably doesn't have any images anyway (or none the default user can see). Are you sure the stuff you're looking for isn't under "Books" (like in the system/ directory)?

As far as combining notes into a document, I doubt whether you'll be able to produce a PDF file from the notes on the device without a lot of work. I'm not sure how you do it now, but I imagine it involves some program that won't build and run on the PocketBook devices. However, since the notes are stored using HTML, maybe it wouldn't be that hard to produce an EPUB file from them. That can be done using a script that would be similar to the edit-epub.app. Would your colleagues be able to use an EPUB file?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Are you sure the stuff you're looking for isn't under "Books" (like in the system/ directory)?
thanks for the clear explanation - it was to look at otehr directories at the same level as books (e.g. "screens"), but it is not a big deal, I can always move the files to the sd card.

Quote:
As far as combining notes into a document, I doubt whether you'll be able to produce a PDF file from the notes on the device without a lot of work. I'm not sure how you do it now, but I imagine it involves some program that won't build and run on the PocketBook devices.
My question was driven by the fact that the Onyx devices do that, up to that point I had not considered it as a possibility, and wondered whether there was some simple workaround. The standard document format in my work is sadly pdf, EPUB is not there yet, especially as there are a lot of formulas involved - but again, it is not a big deal, I can combine the images on a computer and then turn them into a pdf.

Anyhow, your software is really nice!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
dtanis
Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought it was only a matter of time before someone asked for this. Anyway, it wasn't too hard to implement, so I added it to the program. I've updated the zip files at the top of this thread and at my website with the new binaries and source file.
Thank rkomar for implementing that feature. It works great for me. I found a tiny bug, but I think the problem lies in the firmware. When the zoom keyboard is opened and you use the direction keys (not the stylus) to move to the keyboard to select a certain button, the cursor disappears but no button is selected. You need to press the left direction key several times to gain access to the keyboard. After that it works normally.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard

@paola:
It looks like the directory structure has changed then in recent firmware versions, because when I open "Book" in my selector, it takes me to the "/mnt/ext1/" directory (I'm still using 2.0.4). I don't have either of the "Books" or "screens" directories. Oh well.

There is a long shot of producing PDF files on a device, but it would mean porting NetPBM and libtiff programs. If you can convert the images to TIFF format, then you can combine them into a single multi-page TIFF file using tiffcp, and then convert that to a PDF file using tiff2pdf. I suspect building those for the PocketBook devices wouldn't be hard. However, I don't know how to combine the PNG and SVG files into a single TIFF image (maybe using pngtopam, svgtopam, and then pamcomp to overlay them). With my non-touchscreen device and older firmware, I can't reproduce such notes myself to play around with.