Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #136
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Perhaps a second post in the start here thread.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #137
Debby
Connoisseur
Debby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enoughDebby will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Sony & ipad
Calibre is an amazing program! I have learned so much being here and am grateful for all the patience others have shown.

May I suggest separating the forums into the “out of the box users” (with troubleshooting, guides and a thread for questions) and then a “customization” area for those who choose to explore or more advanced users. I think this would help the new users by keeping them in the simplified area until they make the choice to move into customization. Why? Although you can customize the program, not everyone should try (e.g. someone who needs their son to install a program for them or who have issues with technical terms).

Having all the content and subforums mixed together implies (this is too harsh of word) everyone should be able to “do it” and these features should be available to all. The opposite is true – there is a risk when you start to play . Only those who are willing to take the risk, spend the time and effort to learn should be stepping into this arena. Also, separating out the more advanced technical lingo will make the program seem less complex to beginners and the thread will be easier for them to follow.

What I am suggesting would be more similar to the main forums page….perhaps something like this……………….

Calibre – Start Here
New to Calibre? Start Here?
Videos
Adding Custom Columns - just a sticky no questions (I think this is really easy and could be in this area, is there anything else?)
Metadata and File Structure
Trouble shooting solutions (common problems e.g. data is locked, with solutions)
Devices
Conversion

Customization – these require some programing and experience
Catalogs
Plugins – stable easy to use plugins

Experimental – for advances users only (When an Items becomes “main Streamed” it would move to the “Start Here” or “Customization” Section)
Library Management & Online Storage
Creating Plugins
Recipes
Show us your Calibre – a new forum with screen shots for customization

I am a novice who actually uses the search. I have never managed a forum so I do not know if this is possible but may I suggest having the following required when you post ……..

1. Having a place to fill in your OS
2. Current version of Calibre – if the version is not current a box comes up advising you to upgrade
3. Device

In May 2010 I had some help when my database was corrupted. Dwanthny, Starson17 and chaley all helped me create batch files to save all books and metadata. If that would be of use I would be happy to write up a guide for others for the database repair and back up choices.
Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #138
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I've written a somewhat longer introduction for new posters. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it:

In order to make it easier to get (and give) good answers to your questions, you need to consider a few things.

Before asking:
  • Use the forum search and/or an external search engine (for example Google) to see if your question has already been answered.
  • Look in the manual or the FAQ to see if your question has already been answered.
  • Find the correct subforum for asking your question. Read the forum descriptions to see what should go where.
  • Have a look at the sticky threads inside the relevant subforum to see if your question has already been answered.

While writing your post, consider this:
  • If you found a mention of your problem in a very old thread, open a new one. Remember that Calibre's development moves quite fast, usually there's a new version about once a week, thus, old threads contain outdated infos.
  • Use a meaningful title. Asking for "Help, please!!" or "Conversion broken?" isn't as good as titling your thread, for example, "Conversion fails Multi-HTML -> ePub" or "Plugboard problem using Cybook Gen3/ePub". The goal is to broadly describe your problem in the title.
  • Try to include as much meaningful detail as you can. State your OS and Calibre version, paste the error message(s) you get, failed conversion logs, etc.
  • Include relevant configuration where needed, for example, when asking for help in emailing books, include your email settings (remember to blank out username/passwords for security reasons, though).
  • If possible, provide step-by-step- instructions on how to replicate your error. That includes attaching test cases if you can do so without violating copyright.
  • Describe what goes wrong as clearly as possible. Saying "My ebook is very messy after conversion" is less helpful than saying "My ebook has many hardcoded double linebreaks as well as page footers including page numbers interspersed after conversion".
  • If you've already tried a few things to fix the problem, describe what you've tried as well. That saves the people answering from suggesting trying those things, only to be told that you already did.
  • Make an effort to write your post to be easily readable. That includes trying to use normal grammar, spelling and interpunctuation.

If you're not getting any replies after you've written your post, that doesn't mean that nobody read your post. Usually, it means that noone has a good idea as to how your question should be answered. In that case, be patient, maybe someone is already working on trying to find an answer.

Good draft, Manichean.

As for our feedback on it... I think I'd try to use the subject lines so that the critical points are made, even if they don't click on the thread/s... Then prune the bullet points in the posts so they're more effective at a glance.

So we might have a sticky titled:
"Don't forget to check the Subforums, FAQs, and Stickies"
...and the post would be something like:

To get answers most quickly, and to make things more efficient for everyone, always:
  • Check the calibre FAQ, watch the video tutorials, and search the manual.
  • Check the list of subforums and their stickies.
    (Note: If you aren't sure which subforum is most relevant to your issue, go ahead and post here in the main section. We can move it for you, if necessary.)
  • Try using the calibre forum search and/or Google site search to see if your question has already been answered.
    (Note that Calibre's development moves quite fast, so older threads might contain outdated information.)

(The grey part is iffy...)

As for the bits about more informative subject lines and questions... We have to be careful not to have too many stickies, but that is important. Up to y'all.

If we do it in a sticky, we could call it something like:
"Please use informative subject lines and help requests (see details within)"
More
...and the post would be something like:

Using meaningful post titles
  • Bad titiles:
    • "Help, please!!"
    • "Conversion broken?"
  • Good titles:
    • "Conversion fails Multi-HTML -> ePub"
    • "Plugboard problem using Cybook Gen3/ePub"

Providing informative help requests

When relevant and if possible, please include:
  • OS
  • Calibre Version
  • Device
  • email settings
  • Copy of your error messages/logs
  • Specific steps you have taken so far
etc.

argh, I'm being called away, so I hope the gist at least makes sense...

Last edited by Piper_; 01-28-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #139
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I like Kovid's idea of sticking it into a second post in the start here- sticky, and I like your idea as to how the post should be made up, Piper_. I'll rewrite accordingly tomorrow and post the new draft here.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #140
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
how about including a copy or a link to this "quick start guide" I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread in the "New to calibre? Start Here" Sticky? I saw that it is supposed to be included in every new calibre library created - I have 3 libraries and have never seen it. I even just created a new library to see if one was there and it wasn't.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #141
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
how about including a copy or a link to this "quick start guide" I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread in the "New to calibre? Start Here" Sticky? I saw that it is supposed to be included in every new calibre library created - I have 3 libraries and have never seen it. I even just created a new library to see if one was there and it wasn't.
It is included in every brand new install on a computer not a new library. You should be able to find it in calibre's resource directory. I found mine at C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\quick_start.epub.

The user manual is also available for download as an epub.

I hope this helps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #142
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
found the quick start guide, thanks. I don't have a lot of luck using the user manual though - it doesn't seem to have much on using the gui, it looks like mostly command line stuff which I don't use. I was just looking for info on plugboards because of a posting here for using author sort - the checkbox in the Sony plugin to use author sort doesn't seem to work properly for me. I didn't see anything about how to use the gui for plugboards, just The calibre template language.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #143
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
If we are suggesting areas of possible improvement in the manual - I don't see anything in there at all about the tag browser and user categories either? Did a search for both in the help and came up with nothing when I wanted to link to them from my plugin post earlier today?

As I also mentioned in an earlier post I find all the programming API results coming back in search results an unnecessary complication to the average user. I would suggest putting the API documentation in it's own area. Perhaps the % of time users want to look through intimate details of the API versus finding info on what they want is fairly small? Even as someone who has done a bit of Calibre development, beyond an initial look at the plugin pages I would always look at the source code (since we have it) over an API document anyway since all the comments are in there plus what the functions "really" do
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #144
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Okay, first, thank you all for the work that goes into both calibre and these forums. I think Kovid and the rest of you are geniuses. I got my Sony reader in May and found calibre and mobile reads in a random google search. I have been very glad I did. When I have had questions I have had no problems getting answers. That said, for what it's worth, here's my thoughts on this topic.

First of all, I am not computer illiterate but I am not a programmer. Programming language is like learning a new one to me so it takes some time. I did not even know at first that the Python everyone was talking about was a programing language. I looked at the User's Manual for calibre when I first installed the program and it was so intimidating that I haven't looked at it since. It was all about writing code. (I should look at it again but it really was scary ) I usually do every update and read the change log but most of the time do not have a clue what the changes are until I encounter them or need them. So that being my experience I am not likely to look first in the User's Manual for a solution to a question. If however I ask a question and the answer is clearly stated in the User's Manual I do not have a problem with someone directing me back to it. When I started reading this thread people were talking about regex and I was completely lost. Even after someone gave it a name - regular expressions - and defined it I am not sure what it is. That kind of thing definitely requires some hand holding for a "newbie". I know that there are a lot of features which calibre has which I am not using. For example I do not have a clue what the catalog feature does or how to use it and am not even sure if the programmers mean the same thing I do when using the word catalog, and what in the world do recipes have to do with anything? I have found though that when people are patient with me things sometimes are easier than they seem at first glance. And yes sometimes it may mean rewording something in a slightly less techinical manner.

Second the forum itself and this mode of operating is completely new to me. I am not someone who is used to posting in forums and following discussions. I have found this discussion interesting but frankly didn't read the entire ten pages because it got to be over my head and a lot of the same ole same ole. I'm not always sure of the "correct" way to do posts or ask questions. I do however try to be as specific as possible when I have a question or issue because I know that none of you have esp. ( and if you do, you're probably like me and only use your psychic powers for good ) If there is information which you need in order to facilitate communication please do let us know. - Just saw the new posting guidelines - thank you. - Sometimes the sheer volume of discussion can be intimidating. If I have a question about a calibre issue and I don't immediately see a relevant thread I am not very likely to search through pages of discussion to find out if it's been done already. What if it was six months ago or longer? Some time in just a few days threads can expand to eight/ten pages. (this one a perfect example). Frankly I don't always have the time to do that. If I start a new thread though and the question has already been answered I do not have a problem with someone telling me where to look for my answer. For those of us new to this kind of commuication it requires giving us time to figure it out and/or making the tools easily accessible.

I have looked at the new structure of the forum and so far like it. It's clean and easy to follow. I think it will be easier for people like me to find answers to questions which we might have. I really appreciate the efforts of everyone working on this and apologize in advance for not quite getting it right sometimes.

Last edited by tponzo; 01-29-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: addition
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #145
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Post in this thread if you are willing to volunteer
Somehow I never managed to see this. I managed to incapacitate myself to the point I lost track of the entire forum for a week right around the time this thread got interesting. If there's no one working on the Recipe sub forum, I'm willing to write an intro sticky How To for how to use recipes and how to write them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #146
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Somehow I never managed to see this. I managed to incapacitate myself to the point I lost track of the entire forum for a week right around the time this thread got interesting. If there's no one working on the Recipe sub forum, I'm willing to write an intro sticky How To for how to use recipes and how to write them.
Cool, start a thread and let me know when you're done, I'll stick it for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #147
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cool, start a thread and let me know when you're done, I'll stick it for you.
I've started writing offline. I'll paste it into a thread at some point and let you know when it's ready to be stuck.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #148
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well. I wanted to thank you for the new organization. Yesterday I wanted to create tje catalog and I see at a first glance where to look at and I even found the way to customize it (yes, I'm one of the geeks who edit py/css/xhtml files with gvim) and now I have the catalog as I like. So, thank you again.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote