Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New Sharp color e-book reader with 4.3" screen

Sharp's new device, the RD-CX100, is a dictionary and e-book reader with a color screen. It appears to be an LCD display, and has the recognizable Sharp look to it.

Some of the features:
* Linux based
* 4.3" color screen
* FM Receiver
* Audiobook support
* E-book support
* Multi-lingual dictionary
* Brushed aluminum clamshell with keyboard
* About $330 price

Some important qualities are not yet clear, such as what e-book/audiobook formats are supported, screen resolution, battery life, storage capacity, etc.

We'll have to also determine whether or not it's available outside of Japan. So many of these gadgets are just a Japanese tease, because they can't be obtained except through importers who do some basic language conversions on these types of devices.

From Engadget.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Well, if it's based on Linux, odds are that if it's imported in some method there should be an unofficial "conversion" kit for the software linguistics. So whether or not it's done when you buy it,... I'm SURE there has to be a motivated Linux guru that can do that kind of conversion.

Now. How do you fix the keys on the keyboard itself?! ~grins~
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
This looks very much like an updated, and more consumer-focused, version of my Zaurus SL-C760.

Fantastic screen.
Awful battery life.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was going to say myself, it looks like a clamshell PPC, and with those installed apps, sounds like it, too. Isn't that really what it is? Or will it somehow be impossible to port other apps into it?

'Course, I have nothing against clamshell PPCs (owned a Diamond Mako myself once). Depending on features and price, I'd consider it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
As my knowledge, the ebook format would be the "XDMF" of sharp.
Recently, there is no edit tool of XDMF for end-user.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
What! An other format! EBabel's getting worse and worse.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Yep, it is just a Zaurus. Good because it implies Zaurii Linuxes will keep developing.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Some important qualities are not yet clear, such as what e-book/audiobook formats are supported, screen resolution, battery life, storage capacity, etc.[/URL].
The screen resolution seems to be:

480(W) x 272(H) Dot

As is specified in the specs page:

http://www.sharp-korea.co.kr/04produ...ec.asp?pid=373

P.S.: No, I don't understand korean; that was the only data I could gather from that page X-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 AM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
The screen resolution seems to be:
480(W) x 272(H) Dot
That would put the screen at less than half the resolution of my SL-C760.

Since the backlight is what sucks up the power, it would seem that they made their reader less desirable than my Zaurus, without any benefit.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote