Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #46
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoyster View Post
I am very disappointed with this new Kindle DX release. We are getting:
  • New color (cosmetic)
  • Higher contrast (nice)
  • Price drop (doesn't count as it was already overpriced)
For new color and higher contrast, I really think they go hand in hand... the dark color of the case+higher contrast makes the eink look even better....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #47
blueoyster
blueoyster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
For new color and higher contrast, I really think they go hand in hand... the dark color of the case+higher contrast makes the eink look even better....
But not worthy of a new release. This is superfluous IMO. They should have just concentrated on releasing a completely revamped device. All it needed was a price drop. I think it is still pricey and should be 350 considering it's already an year into production without a major hardware upgrade.
blueoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandokde View Post
Does it has the new e-ink pearl screen? Both announce better constrast.
It's supposed to have the new higher contrast screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #49
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
But not worthy of a new release. This is superfluous IMO. They should have just concentrated on releasing a completely revamped device. All it needed was a price drop. I think it is still pricey and should be 350 considering it's already an year into production without a major hardware upgrade.
Oh, I agree with you. I'm still wishing they had made the separate numerical keys and had put buttons on the left side of it as well... But for what is there, I do think there is enough for an upgrade.

I for one desperately need better contrast, and even with a skin on my old KDX, it didn't quite help when the skin didn't line up and the white showed around the screen...

Hopefully the screen contrast is as considerable as 50% sounds, separate from the black bezel.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #50
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
I will wait for a few months and let the price drop I think.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #51
blueoyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Oh, I agree with you. I'm still wishing they had made the separate numerical keys and had put buttons on the left side of it as well... But for what is there, I do think there is enough for an upgrade.

I for one desperately need better contrast, and even with a skin on my old KDX, it didn't quite help when the skin didn't line up and the white showed around the screen...

Hopefully the screen contrast is as considerable as 50% sounds, separate from the black bezel.
Don't tell me that you will drop 379 just for better contrast when next generation of ebook readers is around the corner, and it won't just be Amazon.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #52
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
better contrast but obviously not the next generation e-ink display we've been talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's supposed to have the new higher contrast screen.
Which is it? Or are there two variants (good and better) of the higher contrast screen we expect? In other words, is this the best screen contrast we can expect for about a year?

This NY Times article says simply "the DX uses a new e-ink screen with 50 percent improved contrast for clearer text and sharp images."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #53
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
If it truly has improved PDF support I might get one. I have an Entourage Edge and while I love the larger screen and great PDF support it is a bit bulky. Yes having the TOC on the LCD screen is a time saver and I love the touch screen, via pen, on the eink side. Problem is it is just really bulky. I have to carry a laptop with me on the road. Carrying it and the eDGe is a pain. Maybe the new Kindle DX will fit the bill. I look forward to new reviews from those that are heavy PDF users.

Of course if I do buy it the wife will kill me. I have a Nook, the eDGe, and have to restrain myself to not go out and get an iPad. Think I have an addiction?
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #54
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post
Well. I think a 9" reader is kind of pointless, because it does not fit into pocket. If one needs to read books with larger page size and with more graphics, then he should use a tablet pc. E-Ink display is good only for text books, like novels.

Amazon should have not invested into that product, because the tablets are taking over now (Android baby - hell yeah!). I still see, that there is a place for current e-readers in the market, but the kindle products that are out now would do fine in that category.

The next big thing will be electrowetting tech, but I think that would be the end devices that only meant for reading e-books.
Ha Ha Ha! It always make me laugh when I read statement like this. It's like me saying that a 6" reader is kind of pointless, because it is too small. I have both a DX, and a Kobo with a 6" screen. You couldn't take my DX away. To each his own.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #55
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
I've just ordered 3 days ago a Kindle DX international. Tomorrow will be delivered. I hope to receive the 2nd generation.
Anyone knows how to identify if it is the latest version or the old one without unpacking it?
I hope I don't have to return it to get the new one.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #56
blueoyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlad View Post
I've just ordered 3 days ago a Kindle DX international. Tomorrow will be delivered. I hope to receive the 2nd generation.
Anyone knows how to identify if it is the latest version or the old one without unpacking it?
I hope I don't have to return it to get the new one.
The new kindle DX is out not yet. You can only preorder it.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #57
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
the white version of Kindle DX international - 2nd generation can be ordered on amazon. The dark one cannot be ordered yet. I've just checked.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #58
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Don't tell me that you will drop 379 just for better contrast when next generation of ebook readers is around the corner, and it won't just be Amazon.

I don't have to drop it, I'll sell the Dx I have to get it ^_^

Something's ALWAYS going to be around the corner.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #59
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
What is the difference between "ordinary" DX and Graphite DX?
I can't see any, except for possibly newer screen and obviously different case color.

It looks like the same units but price is $110 less
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #60
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Design wise this looks like the best Kindle yet. I think it looks sleek and more modern.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote