Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
bookeater
bookeater began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
my jetbook saga - so far unsatisfactory

I had a beautiful white jetbook. It would not properly display pdf files from Google books.

Tech support linked me to two different files to upgrade. The unit refused to upgrade either of them.

I returned it for another unit. This has been doing its initial battery charge for 42 hours now and still is not done! Is this normal? I only have a few days left to cash out on this if jetbook can not display my pdf files.

If it is of interest, here are the two links tech support supplied.
I'm in a quandary and wondering if these are even the right files for me.

ftp://80.247.183.35/JL04-v0.34c.zip
ftp://80.247.183.35/JL08-v015.zip

any comments most appreciated, thanks.
bookeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Are you charging via USB? I've heard the device doesn't always show it's done charging when you're using USB rather than the AC adaptor, possibly due to the lower power it gets from USB. (It also charges faster on AC than on USB.)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the upgrades and such for Jetbook to offer more help than that.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
This page can be used to upgrade jetBook firmware:
http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Could you give more details on how it fails to work with PDF?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Bookeater, instead of the PDF files from google books have you tried the epub?
The books I've looked up all seemed to have those 2 options.

Generally speaking I think you'll have many fewer problems with Epub than with PDF.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Slash5
Slash5 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Sony PRS-505
Many of the PDFs in Google Books are images of the book's pages. No reader is going to display them well - you'll have to use the zoom and move around the page.
They don't display particularly well on a PC, let alone a reader.
Slash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I think that the "OK" button brings up the selection grid on the JB as it does on
the JBL, when viewing the full page image version of PDFs.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75061

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
bookeater
bookeater began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
Many of the PDFs in Google Books are images of the book's pages. No reader is going to display them well - you'll have to use the zoom and move around the page.
They don't display particularly well on a PC, let alone a reader.
Yes, I think you are right. Since there pages are scans, perhaps jpgs within the pdf.

They do display perfectly on my PC.

On the jetbook I have various problems. If unaltered the blank pages in the front of the books usually cause the jetbook to shut down. If I use Acrobat Pro and remove all but the text it does not shut down but some pages do not display so that the text can be read. If I convert to a smaller page size by converting the pdf to rtf and load that into word to create a new pdf. I am now getting a blank page inserted after every page. UGH. There seems to be no solution. And, although jetbook claims to read rtf, it says the file is too large (507 megs - pdf size is 6 megs, doc size is 273 megs but not recognized by jetbood).Some of these are available as epub, but jetbook hangs on loading them (constant hour glass).

Tech Support says to do a firmware upgrade, but I think that might be what they say when they have to say something. Nevertheless, I have downloaded 34c (currently I have 33g). I have tried the instructions supplied by Ectaco and the somewhat different instructions in this forum. The unit always fails the upgrade. Double UGH.

What concerns me now is your view that no reader will display the Google pdf files. If you are right, there is no point in wasting time trying another reader. But, I do have hope that the ipad, when released, might do the trick.

I guess I've reached the end of the road for jetbook.
bookeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Perhaps you could try "Show Original File" in the settings so that it doesn't crop white space? This alone could be messing with the pagination. I would also recommend landscape mode so that you can fit more of the page.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote