Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
My DX is acting up. Again.

A few months back my first DX froze so badly that neither me nor Amazon CS could get it back to life (prior to that a hard reset had always worked). To Amazon's credit I got a replacement device without any argument.

My replacement unit, which I've only had for a month or so, is now starting to act up though which worries me. I have two issues:

1. Searching/finding an author or, god forbid, a title from the home scree takes anywhere from four minutes up to eight minutes. Clearly something is wrong - I seem to recall a time when this could be measured in 10 to 20 seconds. This on a library of about 1,300 books so not exceedingly large.

2. The device freezes on my frequently. Not once in awhile but like once or twice a day. It's becoming infuriating.

Amazon CS had nothing really clever to suggest so I figured I throw it out here to see if anyone has any bright ideas.

The only thing I could come up with myself was to remove all books from the device, leave it for a day or so in order for the old indexing to, erm, 'un-index' itself and then reload my books again. Unfortunately it did not improve my situation on either account.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What steps did Amazon have you perform the first time? Restart or reset to factory settings? Any hacks on it? Are you up to date on your firmware?

From the troubleshooting page.

Quote:
Kindle screen frozen or Kindle unresponsive.

Possible cause: * Low battery charge.

1. Plug the Kindle into a wall outlet.
2. Ensure the Kindle is charging (the indicator light should be on).
3. Wait 2 minutes.
4. If necessary unplug the Kindle and reset by moving and holding the power switch for 15 seconds before releasing it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I'm on 2.3.3 and was asked to monitor for a week to see if I could find a pattern to the freezes. I did ask about whether I should do a factory reset but was told it was unlikely to help so have not done so yet.

CS is dumbfounded as to why a search takes so long.

I have no hacks on it.

The lady I spoke to said she'll ask around and get back to me. I got the impression they'd replace this device for me as well if it can't be figured out but that isn't a great solution to me; I live in Malaysia and bought my DX at the launch so it's not an international version, therefore they cannot ship a replacement to an address outside of the U.S. It'd also cost me more than a little to ship my current unit back to the U.S.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Does it freeze when reading the same document?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Your body just affects DXs weirdely. YOu must be putting out crazy energy, hehe.

Either way 4-8 minutes for searching sounds extreme. Something ain't right with your unit. You probably might as well ask for another replacement.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert