Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
kucera
kucera began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One, Kobo, Nextbook(7"color)
Firmware for refurbished One - is it 2009 or 2010?

Hello all,
I bought the BeBook One (refurbished) from their website. It was advertised as version 2009, but on the box that came it says '2010 edition.' How can I tell which is which? Info says:
Dev ID:JINKeBOOK11124Cv3110022500000917
Firmware version : V202NL.100917

Is this a 2009 or a 2010 edition, and which is the latest firmware for it? Their website show the latest version for 2009 as 2.02NL.091127, for 2010 as v3asetup.DEC2010, and they are not to be used interchangeably. I left a question for the support there, but so far no answer.
Does anyone here know? and another question, would Tirwal firmware work on this machine, and if so, what advantage will I glean? I mainly need something that reads fonts with Czech diacritics; if I load the Liberation fonts on the One, will I still need to do a Calibre conversion? (sorry if this should go to a different thread).
All advice gratefully accepted.
Regards Emil
kucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I am pretty certain that what you have is a 2010 edition. Have a look over in the Hanlin thread for alternative firmwares. A couple appear to have been updated and include versions for the 2010 which is a V3+.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The easiest way to be sure of which model you have is to go to the Settings page. If there are 4 items, it is the 2009 version, if 6, then it is 2010 version. Then select item 4 - About. The copyright notice is quite clear - 2009 or 2008-2010.

Hop this helps.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
If it turns out to be the 2010 version, the Jotas1+ firmware might be worth a look.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
kucera
kucera began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One, Kobo, Nextbook(7"color)
Now about the fonts...

Thanks, Stormchild and Pholy, and yes, it now seems obvious that I got the 2010 edition for the refurbished price. They even threw in a little reading light , nice. And the delivery, though pricey, was amazingly fast, just four days in transit. The only downside was the customs and duty on delivery.
Now about the fonts and diacritics - I loaded Liberation fonts on the SD card and they duly show on menu, but epub files don't seem to use them, nor does a UTF-8 textfile Is there another trick to it? Still, Word files do use them fine, pdf files also work, and I have yet to try out a bunch of the other options, so that should keep me out of mischief for a while.
Last question - is there a way to add the fonts permanently? Replicating the /fonts directory from the card on the BeBook does not seem to work.
Regards Emil
kucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
What are the differences between '09 and '10 editions?
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote