Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Out-of-the-box, the KFHD is fairly limited. Usable, but limited. But when rooted, it makes a terrific Android tablet. Comparing the N7 and a rooted KFHD side-by-side, the KFHD wins out, in my opinion of course.
I've got a first generation Fire, that I have rooted, and a GTab 7.0 Plus that has also been rooted. Both are running Jelly Bean (CM10). Comparing them side by side, the Fire is almost a smooth and quick as the GTab. If the GTab did not have the microSD card slot and the Fire was lighter, the advantage would have gone to the Fire.

The Fire is a really good 7" tablet once it's free of the Amazon interface.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
n0b0
n0b0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Nook Tablet
Reading magazines on a 7" tablet is probably not the best experience. That said, you would probably want to go for the Nexus 7, since it has a much higher resolution display (66,66% more pixels!). The aspect ratio on the Nexus 7 is also somewhat better than the two others for reading magazines, it's relatively wider.
Also for big color magazines in PDF the somewhat faster processor of the Nexus 7 is desirable. Flipping through pages in big color magazines sometimes results in a couple of seconds loading time.

I'm not sure it is easy to install flash on a Nexus 7 though, since it doesn't come with the AOSP Browser but only with Chrome which doesn't support flash. You have to install AOSP Browser (or maybe some other browser that supports flash) in order to use flash.

Pluses for the tablets:

Nexus 7:
+Higher resolution display (and arguably better aspect ratio for magazine reading)
+Faster processor
+GPS and Compas (could be helpful with e.g. for Google Skymap)

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0:
+SD-card
+Rear Camera

Kindle Fire:
+Amazon ecosystem (but no Google ecosystem unless rooted)
n0b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0b0 View Post
Kindle Fire:
+Amazon ecosystem (but no Google ecosystem unless rooted)
Any particular benefit to this? Does the amazon sw offer any features not found in stock Android?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
n0b0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
Any particular benefit to this? Does the amazon sw offer any features not found in stock Android?
Well I don't have Prime, but if you do there are probably some benefits. I also think Amazon has more tv-shows and movies in their store.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0b0 View Post
Well I don't have Prime, but if you do there are probably some benefits. I also think Amazon has more tv-shows and movies in their store.
But you can install the Amazon apps on any Android device.

I'm fairly sure that the Kindle Fire (unrooted) is merely 'optimized' for Amazon - i.e. it's limited to the Amazon App store, whereas a standard Android installation has access to Amazon (once you install the apps) AND to Google Play (AKA the Android Market).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
n0b0

Amazon's streaming of movies is not supported on the Nexus 7 (unless you install flash and run stream through the browser, but that is not a very good solution)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
My favorite is still the Galaxy 7 Plus, which is still available from Amazon and elsewhere. Has flash on back camera, better processor (1.2 instead of 1.0) & memory than the Tab 2, upgradable to ICS available, and jellybean coming sometime soon from Samsung. ICS 4.0.4 did fix the read/write to sd card and flash is still available for ICS sideloading, if you don't already have it. As stated elsewhere, the Tab 2 was a downgrade from the Galaxy 7 PLus. Amazon has factory refurb for as low as $199, of which I purchased 2 at christmas, and they have a 90day mfg warranty. Still the best buy out there, of course, my opinion only.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Is there any important feature(s) present only in Kindle tablets, and not other android tablets?
(Like text-to-speech?)
There are reading apps for Android that *do* support text-to-speech. I can have a book read to me on my Samsung Galaxy Note or Samsung Galaxy Player using the Mantano Reader app.

I don't *do* it, because I prefer to read, not listen, but I could.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I can have a book read to me on my Samsung Galaxy Note or Samsung Galaxy Player using the Mantano Reader app.

I don't *do* it, because I prefer to read, not listen, but I could.
I didn't know I cared about the feature until I happened to test it on my Kindle DX. It's not very smooth, but sometimes when reading academic stuff, it helps me grasping faster when both hearing and reading at the same time ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
i'm looking for some tablet for my wife as well. question for nexus 7 owners, how would you describe loudspeaker quality regarding volume and loudness? my wife like to watch movies and is sick of tiny sound in our android tablets so far...most of the time she must use headphones, and she doesnt like headphones at all...and she hate me about volume level which came out of my ipad

i've seen some complaints about loudspeaker in the nexus 7 being on the tiny side as well and has low volume level? is it true or not?

Last edited by Tacty; 01-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellreadfred View Post
Rizla said:

Rizla, thanks for responding and after a couple of searches on YouTube I see that you can add Flash to the tablets.

Shack70 added:

I'm recouping from a stroke, so travel is difficult right now. The worry of not having enough space is important to me and the SD slot could help in that matter. I love Amazon but it is intriguing to me to have an OS that I can customize when I want to, if I want to. So with the max SD card (Tab 2) I would have 40gb of space compared to the 32Gb Nexus 7. I like the idea of the Nexus with Google updating the Android system before others do.

Chantal stated:

Thanks for the correction and this would equal up the Nexus and Samsung for me.

BadBilly said:

Thanks for the article link. YouTube is full of videos on how to find and install Flash if you desire.

omega34 said:

Omega34, I agree with your suggestion on the Nexus and have one on the way. I decided to get the 32Gb version, knowing that the Nexus can use a USB stick for more storage, videos and music, the larger files if needed.

Why I picked the Nexus 7 over the others?

Newest version of Android
Quick updates to the OS from Google
Better processor
Better graphics chip
32Gb out of the box
Expandable storage via USB dongle (I think that's the correct word)
Many options to read books w/variety of ebook reader apps (Amazon included)
SkySafari Plus runs and looks good on Nexus
Less than $260 shipped

Fedex is showing a delivery at end of week. I appreciate all the replies to my questions.

peace & happy reading,
~wellreadfred~
Quote:
Is there any important feature(s) present only in Kindle tablets, and not other android tablets?
(Like text-to-speech?)
Don't know if its available in America yet but the Kobo Arc is a very nice tablet google certified ,up to 64 gb storage 1.5 dual core and a better(IMHO) screen than the nexus 7.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
(Like text-to-speech?)
Kindle FreeTime Unlimited

Quote:
Kindle FreeTime Unlimited is the first-ever all-in-one subscription that brings together all the types of content that kids and parents love - books, games, educational apps, movies and TV shows. With unlimited access to thousands of hand-picked titles for kids ages 3-8, parents don't have to spend time (and money) guessing what their kids will enjoy, and kids can explore a world of age-appropriate content on their own - no ads, no in-app purchases.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
i'm looking for some tablet for my wife as well. question for nexus 7 owners, how would you describe loudspeaker quality regarding volume and loudness? my wife like to watch movies and is sick of tiny sound in our android tablets so far...most of the time she must use headphones, and she doesnt like headphones at all...and she hate me about volume level which came out of my ipad

i've seen some complaints about loudspeaker in the nexus 7 being on the tiny side as well and has low volume level? is it true or not?
I find it loud enough, but no, the quality is not very good. It's better than my old Nook Color, but hardly hi-fi.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #29
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
If I were in the US I'd get the fire as there is a lot of content available. Outside the US I'd say the nexus 7.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote